Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 173

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Help! Need some ideas!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:.......So wear some safety glasses just in case........If u hit a mushroomed edge of a punch chisel or any other impact object they come off with tremendous force and in directions as predictable as the squirt of a grapefruit.

That's some analogy there! Keep 'em coming!

Posted on: 2008/8/31 8:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Boro
See User information
Hey Guys! Thanks for all the responses and suggestions.

After 3 hours of tightening and hitting it finally came loose. It didn't POP as I was expecting. I can now see why it's such a ^&^*%*(^$*%$ to get loose. It's a fairly long taper. Long of surface area to break free. Anyhow, I am moving forward now, cleaning everything up etc. Took a few pics before I started disassembling it. Have the shoes ready and all new hardware. Going to replace the centrally located brake hose and make two new lines to each brake. Going to order some new seals and replace those while I'm in there!

This was the drivers side rear. Next week hopefully I'll get to the passenger side rear, and just maybe have it one the road soooooon!

Chuck in AZ

Posted on: 2008/9/1 9:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Boro,

Congratulations!

You accomplished all that and still can type! You are a gifted Man. Keep on taking a 'bite' at a time on your restore.

Seriously, I have NEVER succeeded in getting my ole Clipper's rear drums off. I have a mechanic-friend 250 miles away with experience and equipment. Some day I will 'get 'er dun' with his help. My advantage from your situation is that my car drives AND the rear brakes DO work. I rebuilt the master cyl and front units. The driver side front cyl was corroded, inoperable, and pitted. DIY restoration goes one or two bites at a time. (A half a brake job that is functional, is better than NO brake job that is non-functional).

I am working on a formula for PATIENCE PILLS. As a DIY Packard Geek, I think I have found a market for them!!!

DanL

Posted on: 2008/9/1 9:35
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
41 Par Pac writes

(A half a brake job that is functional, is better than NO brake job that is non-functional).

Be careful. If you found one rusty and leaking wheel cylinder on the front there is a good chance the rear cylinders need replacing also. Remember if you loose enough fluid anywhere in the system the breaks will fail all the way around. That's the main reason car manufacturers went to duel break systems. You can loose one and still get the car stopped.

BTW I have pulled rear drums off many different cars in the past and was always able to get them to pop off in 5 or 10 minutes. I really think that if they don't pop reght off you arn't hitting the puller hard enough. Bigger hammer comes to mind. The average claw hammer is not heavy enough.

The shops that did break jobs back when the tapered rear axel was the norm couldn't afford the storage space necessary if it took days to get the drums off.

BIGGER HAMMER... Don't forget to put the axel nut back on flush with the end of the axel to protect the threds not to mention to keep the drum from popping off and falling on the floor or on your toe.

Posted on: 2008/9/1 13:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved