Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Classic Disk Brakes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Allow me to recommend Ross as your rebuilder - knowledgeable and conscientious. I have used him myself on my 400 which I drive several times a week.

Posted on: 2015/8/19 7:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The biggest problem with the drum brakes are worn drums and non-original linings. I don't care what anybody says, drum brake linings today are not as effective as the original asbestos. Every low mileage original car I have driven had better brakes than a restored system.

Though it's taken a while, I've gradually come to agree with Tim Cole' comment above, and especially with regard to modern non-asbestos lining materials. Warped drums can be turned true (if within allowable limits) or replaced, and fortunately for those willing to do some work themselves, asbestos lining material, woven or molded, can still be found without too much difficulty. Of course you probably won't find a brake shop to work with this material so you'll be on your own for drilling and riveting linings but this isn't complicated and tools and rivets are common enough. But if the drums have ever been turned the process isn't complete until you have the shoes arc-ground to match the diameter of the drum. I believe correspondent Randy Berger recently obtained asbestos linings and had his shoes arc-ground by a friend of mine to match the drums and I for one will be interested to hear his comments about the brake performance when the car hits the pavement. Unlikely I'll ever drive the Caribbean enough to need another brake reline but I'm thinking seriously of getting some asbestos linings now while I still can, should that eventuality come. In the interim the new Kanter shoes are giving acceptable performance.

Another point which can lead to sub-standard drum brake performance is failure when relining to attend to the (where equipped) adjustment of the eccentric post (as in a "major" brake adjustment). Why folks just slap on shoes and ignore this simple and fast adjustment is probably because they don't read or comprehend the shop manual and/or they just grew up in the disc brake era. Regardless, it can be a very important adjustment and can yield significant improvement in brake performance.

The attached report from Motor Trend does not seem to support Craig's comments that the Packards had more competent brakes than the Clippers, the numbers are (suspiciously?) the same, but curiously the Packard brakes were about best-in-class but the same can't be said for the Clippers where Hudson/Nash were superior.

Attach file:

jpg  (121.93 KB)
177_55d4ac7fa7421.jpg 806X879 px

Posted on: 2015/8/19 11:03
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
I just got these guy at classic disk brakes to give me a picture of the master cylinder setup they use, its pretty interesting and I thought I get some reactions to it from you guys, they remove the existing hardware and the master cylinder mounts under the car with the brake pedal passing through the toe board does this seem like a reasonable way to go? I'm told it doesn't disturb the air vent, I suspect it wouldn't really show but the brake pedal would look different.

Attach file:

jpg  (5.38 KB)
3015_55d4c30f7029f.jpg 291X291 px

Posted on: 2015/8/19 12:55
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is an interesting approach..The booster should fit under the car in that orientation as it would fall to the rear of the angled section. Should be plenty of clearance if there is no clutch linkage to worry about. Using the system as it ships, going thru the floor It might be possible to change the pad mount on the arm from oval to a Packard rectangular pad and have it pass as stock manual brakes. Can't see the detail but I take it the reservoir has remote fill capabilities. It might be hard to remove a bail type cover.

Another possibility I would investigate if I were doing it would be to see if the geometry would allow the end of the arm to attach in some way to the Packard suspended power pedal. Might take some kind of trapped roller bearing in a slot to allow for some sliding motion but maybe possible. If that could be done, with the new arm hidden by a rubber bellows it might look completely stock on the inside. I wonder if they sell that booster setup separately.

Posted on: 2015/8/19 13:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
would there be enough room under the floor in front of the X-frame member? seems like there might not be enough space there for the booster and M/C to fit to the rear.

if no remote fill reservoir then you'd have to put an access hole in the floor to service it.

Posted on: 2015/8/19 16:17
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
If you have not yet made a decision on which direction you are going with the brakes. We would like to offer to help you with your brake situation. We would be willing to send you one of our brake overhaul kits, but we ask that you document the repair/rebuild of your brake system and share it with the forum. As part of the rebuild we would like you to send us the BTV unit. We will disassemble the unit for further investigation and repair, while sharing our results with the forum. Please let me know if this is something you would be willing to do. We would like you to experience the fully functioning power of your Packard's brake system for yourself and then share your opinion with the group. Please PM with your details if interested.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2015/8/20 13:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
That seems like a great offer. Jump on it.

Posted on: 2015/8/20 14:57
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
I appreciate the generous offer of help but the system has largely been overhauled with the exception of the treadle vac device I'm going to leave the car stock and have that repaired with gent in Florida, I hope I don't live to regret it. Thanks for the input.
Bill

Posted on: 2015/8/20 19:25
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
We Will do just the BTV for you if you would like and share what we find.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto

Posted on: 2015/8/21 9:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Bill(ClassicCrusier),
for including your '56 Clipper Custom Hardtop Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/8/24 18:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved