Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
188 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 186

Don B, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 1955 Packard No Engine Number?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Thank you everyone for your help. I now have a better idea of where to look. The car is down at my mechanics (3hrs away) but i will be down there next thursday and i'll be able to check the numbers and get the check tandem exhaust port of each head and get those numbers aswell. I have attached some images of the engine there not the best images and I know she looks a bit rough but its all a work in progress.

Also, Owen_dyneto you mentioned a car at the 1999 centennial. I have also attached an early picture of the car and another with the position of the gear stick lever. The image of the car was taken in 2002 when it was owned by Russ Carrington.

Attach file:

jpg  (79.34 KB)
24_49027d03ddb18.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (45.74 KB)
24_49027d2157fe8.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (152.69 KB)
24_49027e26edfe3.jpg 1280X966 px

jpg  (86.39 KB)
24_49027ef52a79c.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2008/10/24 21:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, i don't believe that was the car I was thinking of at the Warren Centennial, that one was very much more deteriorated, close to a parts car as I remember.

Posted on: 2008/10/24 22:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
P34.

Is it a convertible or a hard top?????
3 speed or 4 speed??? Overdrive???

Snow in Oz ????? What part???

Carib experts: Is that 56 Carib hood on a 55????

Posted on: 2008/10/25 7:58
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Mat's car is a '55 Carib convertible with a 3 speed o/d trans. Hood looks '55 to me.

Can't answer about the snow, I was wondering the same thing!

Posted on: 2008/10/25 13:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Turbopackman wrote:..............Can't answer about the snow, I was wondering the same thing!

Pic's were taken some years ago in the US by a previous owner.

Posted on: 2008/10/25 14:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen -

I had been a little confused about the "motor number" versus the "Utica number". After discussing the recent engine serial number reference, privately, with BigKev, I dug up a copy of a letter sent to all states WRT to title and registration of the 55th series cars. It clarifies (at least for me) that the the Motor Serial Number is, in fact, the same as the Vehicle Identification Number. Prior to that, I had (incorrectly) considered the Utica number on the V8s to be the functional equivalent of the engine serial number as used on the straight eights.

Next, you may recall that I've previously cited a copy of an internal document that decodes the Utica number's alpha prefix for the 56th Series. That document advised that "service stripped engines or short blocks are not stamped" with the Utica number. It's been my understanding that the "motor number" was stamped by Conner, but I was now confused whether the Utcia number was stamped on (complete) crate motors for service.

Now, taking your observations into consideration, I am more certain that a Packard V8 engine with only a Utica number and no motor/vehicle serial number was a complete engine that never made it to Conner.

Yet, I'm curious what Studebaker and American Motors did about the "motor number".

Posted on: 2008/10/25 21:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Thats right, the image was taken back in 2002 before they did some work in restoring the car. The car is supposed to be a Californian car. The owner lived around Marina Del Ray - not sure if it snows there?

The transmission is only a 3-speed manual as stated by Eric. I hope to change this back to auto in the future.

Posted on: 2008/10/25 21:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Keith -

Thanks for the pix of the different engine number locations. As you noted, the factory description is rather vague, but one picture will be worth a thousand words for viewers of this thread.

However, the copy of the internal document that I have indicates that the Utica number was relocated to the fornt of the block (same location as the engine serial number) at some point in the 56th Series production run.

Does anybody have an engine that confirms that?

Posted on: 2008/10/25 21:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes, my 5672A-1834 has the Utica# and the VN near the oil filler tube at the front of the engine. The boss on the block where the OLD Ut# was is blank on this block.

Posted on: 2008/10/25 21:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Packard34. Does it have Over Drive????

If u're not concerned about winning a dash plaque at any shows then the best thing to do is to forget about converting to automatic and use the 3 spd especialy if it has O.D. OR use a modern 4 or 5 speed with O.D.

Posted on: 2008/10/25 21:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved