Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
258 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 255

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: forgive me for I have sinned, Chevy engine in Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
BTW: I would like to reveal to you the most closely guarded secret of Eric (Turbopackman).

Gerd, let me tell you about my association with Ford Motor Co: I worked in a Ford dealership for 5 years, in the parts department. The reason why I did so was "job security". I figure that Fords are always breaking down, so they will always need parts. If I had my choice, I would have worked at a REAL modern dealership:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2009/1/6 14:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
mopar or no car!

except for packards

Posted on: 2009/1/6 14:29
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Wayne:

Let me throw a few cents on this discussion. I belong to 2 regions of Packard Automobile Classics. I also belong to the national A.A.C.A. and was a former president of a local region of that. I am a staunch purist when it comes to MY Packards. I sold a 1951 Patrician to a guy who promptly chopped it up and dropped an SBC in it to get A/C. I hope he rots forever. Now before you relegate me to the realm of some fanatic nutjob(as some in here have already done), let me explain. I have no problem taking a field car Packard of almost any year including the 30's V-12's and street rodding it. I have seen it done and done well. My attitude towards the guy that chopped up the Packard that I sold him was that instead of taking the afore mentioned field car, he took a 375 point show car and chopped it up. To this day it does not run and the doors cannot be opened easily. Looking at it from a distance you can see the car has a v-shape from the cowl back. With all of that said, if you parked next to me at a meet I would welcome you with open arms. I have seen some nice modified Packards. A 53 Carribean convertible with a buick nailhead V-8. At a sale 3 years ago there was a guy with what looked to be a 1937-38 4 dr sedan with a Caddy crate motor and the inside was to die for. He wanted something that was dependable and had modern running gear so he would not have problems on the road as he travled cross country with it. I have not yet run into the Packard Field car that I would want to work on and street rod. But I would in no way take a top notch 375 to 400 point showcar and chop it up. So run it the way you got it. If it works for you and what you want to do, then do it and if some twit purist has the affrontory to call you on it, tell him/her to get bent. Happy motoring.

P.S. Are you going to make the PAC Nationals in Branson in June.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 14:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
What is the June date for the Branson meet?

Posted on: 2009/1/6 18:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
From the looks of your car I say job well done glad you kept the single exhaust as I like the looks of sleepers. My personal feelings are it your car do as you wish if anyone does not like it ask them for money to fix it and sure they will keep their hands in the pockets.
My grandfather said he would drive any thing someone else bought for him but if he was paying it would be his choice even to color.
From the looks of your car the workmanship will be appreciated by any real car person. The only other person you and your car need to make happy is your wife.
There are usually a lot of car at events that have the hoods closed if you are concerned about the Chevy power-plant keep it closed
My feeling is if a person does not want to have you and your car at there event they are the loser and I know I don't need friends like that.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 19:28
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Wayne Atkinson
See User information
Thank you for your kind responses, I feel welcome already. To answer Packard V-8's questions. The engine is a mid 70's 350 with a Quadrajet 4 barrel and HEI ignition. When I did this swap in 1982 there were not many overdrive automatics available, so the turbo 400 was used. It does get a little over 20 mpg. It does have AC, I used the Chevy compressor and brackets, but installed an aftermarket underdash unit in the car. It works very well. I also installed a 1956 Chevy electric windshield wiper motor. This was a bolt in, it even uses the Packard cable to control it. The only thing I had to do was space it out from the firewall to clear the lip. I also built a hidden trailer hitch receiver up behind the bumper. I tow my Model T Ford speedster behind the Packard. That is how we moved from Idaho to Iowa a few years ago. I am including a picture (I hope) from a rainy, snowy T tour in Northern Minnesota a couple of years ago. The float in the carb on the T leaked and I had to go rescue it with the Packard. It is almost dark when the picture was taken. I do belong to PAC and I did drop in at the tour in Des Moines last summer, but I left the Packard home. Thanks, Wayne

Posted on: 2009/1/6 19:54
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Wayne Atkinson
See User information
Sorry, I can't get the picture to work. I will try again later. Wayne

Posted on: 2009/1/6 20:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Wayne wrote:.........17 years ago, I traded for a 1952 300 sedan without an engine and with the transmission in the trunk in pieces........I looked around for quite sometime for a correct engine and trans and couldn't find one. So at that time I started thinking about a modern engine and transmission. I really get tired of seeing Chevy engines in every car, but when it came down to it, it was the only engine that would fit without cutting things up. So I did the swap..........

G'day Wayne,

to Packardinfo.

And don't let another 17 years go by before you add your '52 300 to the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it, as I see from the above. And best of all, the Owner Registry caters for those who have modified Packards.

Posted on: 2009/1/7 0:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'd like to know more about the hidden hitch receiver. Maybe a picture???

As for AC i have a Mark IV unit in the 56 Exec. The evaporator mounts to the transmission tunnel.

Posted on: 2009/1/7 7:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Rowdy:

I believe the 3rd weekend in June.

Posted on: 2009/1/7 13:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved