Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Packard transmission question
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Packarderm
See User information
This is most helpful to me also.
I am the very new owner of a 1950 Deluxe 8 Club coupe. The car is apparently in OD and the knob/cable under the dash seems to be frozen in place. I have disconnected the OD wires at the solenoid but the car is still on my lift and I have not had a chance to drive it to see if the OD is indeed now disengaged.

Posted on: 2022/10/2 18:02
Geoff N.

1950 Packard 2365
'35 Cadillac resto-mod
Glenn Pray Auburn Boattail Speedster
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The OD lockout cable itself or the rod at the bottom end where it slides in the sleeve near the unit where the clevis attaches becoming rusted and fixed is not uncommon in cars that have sat for awhile.

If the knob is pulled out do not try and free the cable by force or there is a good possibility the cable outer housing will be pushed out of the crimp at the rear of the knob bracket assy. If that happens it requires another repair which, if the crimp splits or tears, will be more difficult.

Usually the best way to free the cable is to remove the entire cable and bracket assy from the car. Unscrew the lockout switch from the bracket and coil the length of cable as tightly as possible taking care not to kink it so penetrating fluid can get inside the cable housing to reach the inner wire thru the slightly opened outer coils. You can either soak it in a shallow pan or do multiple spray applications. Follow that with a good lube with regular oil.

While the lockout switch is off take a look at the end of the switch plunger. If there is a groove worn in the plunger the switch can be intermittent. You can get additional life by removing the switch lock washer if it is still present and only rely on the tabbed plate to lock the switch in place. If the lockwasher has already been removed and the groove is deep then you may need to look for another switch.

Posted on: 2022/10/2 19:28
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Packarderm,
to PackadInfo and for including your '50 Deluxe Eight Club Sedan in the Packard Vehicle Registry

Posted on: 2022/10/2 22:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Packarderm
See User information
Thank you, Mr. Ambassador. Like "EDS417", my learning curve will be climbing sharply here for a while. Most of my experience is with GM but none with the overdrive.

Posted on: 2022/10/3 12:03
Geoff N.

1950 Packard 2365
'35 Cadillac resto-mod
Glenn Pray Auburn Boattail Speedster
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Redhexagon
See User information
Or it's a standard 3-speed with a shot clutch that slips when you board it.

Posted on: 2022/10/11 0:45
1955 Patrician.
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved