Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 201

DM37, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: My First Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Found it.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1946&forum=8

The seller seems to be in Alabama, North Carolina or Georgia so I don't know how that is going to work for you. But it does show engines are available. Maybe one will turn up in your area if you run your own ad.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks HH56. I posted my message before I saw yours. Sorry for the confusion.

Posted on: 2009/4/30 18:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Welcome to the world of Packards. There are many parts vendors for the 51 to 54 models. Many good direction so far. I can definitely understand the limited budget, especially in these times. The good news is there are lots of private individuals who collect and trade / sell parts. Many of them are here on PackardInfo. I strongly suggest learning about the car, what the car needs and easing into buying items. This gives you time to learn, and forge relations with people who have the parts you are looking for.

You will really enjoy this car, people are often surprised to see a Packard on the road, and have many questions about your unusual marquee.

I hope you consider starting a project thread; I enjoy seeing progress of projects.

Best of luck,
Jim

Posted on: 2009/4/30 19:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
And, get ready for the most often asked question posed to the men who own them, "Just who built the Packards?"

I've got some '52 parts listed on ebay right now; a trunk handle and the badge for it.
#150342640716 and #150342641567

Posted on: 2009/4/30 20:42
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Andy Lewis
See User information
Ozstatman,
No, I don't have an engine or transmission yet.

Carlmadsen,
Where is the forum for buying and selling?

Owen_Dyneto,
Where is the download for the parts book you wrote about? I can't seem to find it.

38super8,
How do I start a project thread? Do I just start one the way I started this one or is there a different place on this site for that stuff?

Denny Z,
I've had my car for only a few days and I've been asked "Who makes Packard" at leats ten times already:)

Hey, a big thanks to everyone who added to this, lots of good info to think about. Thank you guys. I spent the whole day taking trim off the car, inside and out, almost everything but the sheetmetal. I'm having a really rough time getting the door handles off!! The clips that hold them in are rusted and the little flange is broken off one of the clips. Any pointers?

Posted on: 2009/5/1 0:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day again Andy,

Ozstatman, No, I don't have an engine or transmission yet. - A few leads given already from the members here, hopefully you'll find an engine and trans soon.

Carlmadsen, Where is the forum for buying and selling? - Go to Main Menu(at left), select "Packard Forums", then scroll down and select the "For Sale, Wanted, Trade Forum". You can create a topic and post there just like in this Forum.

Owen_Dyneto, Where is the download for the parts book you wrote about? I can't seem to find it.
- Go to Main Menu(at left), select "Packard Literature and Manuals" and use the search function. Although someone will probably jump in and post a direct reference or link.

38super8, How do I start a project thread? Do I just start one the way I started this one or is there a different place on this site for that stuff? - Go to Main Menu(at left), select "Packard Forums", then scroll down and select the "Project Blogs Forum". You can create a Project Blog for your '52 and post there just like in this Forum. Love reading members Blogs and be sure to include lots of pic's!

Denny Z, I've had my car for only a few days and I've been asked "Who makes Packard" at least ten times already:) - And when you take it out remember to allow extra time for all the people who want to talk to you about your car or their stories, etc.

Sorry guys if I've answered for you, it's just our timezone(Australia) can be conducive to respond to late night US posts.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 1:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
24 / 7 coverage, worldwide. thanks Mal!

If you need to ship a body panel, engine, transmission, or entire car across the US, consider uShip.com

I just bought a hood (sorry, bonnet) on eBay in pennslyvannia and had it shipped with uShip to Minneapolis; the hood cost 100 and shipment was 350.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 9:19
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Removing retainer clips on the 51-56 Models.

The clips rust and are really a pain to remove. First soak the hell out of the them with PB Blaster. Wait 24-48 hrs.

If you cant pull them out of the hole in the door jam with a pair of needle-nose visegrips, then this is the back up procedure.

1) Use a heat gun to heat the plastic door lock knobs, once then get warm and soft your should be able to pull the plastic off the metal shaft.

2) Once that is done, unscrew the window garnish moulding (window surround) and remove it.

3) Now roll the window all the way down. You should be able to see then entire door retainer clip now. Spray the hell out of it again with PB, let soak.

4) Now use a drift to tap out the rusty clip though the hole in the door jam.

The Packards International San Diego chapter sells new retainer clips. Every door (Front , back, left, right) uses a slightly different shaped clip. The ones from PI SD are made of beryllium copper, so they are guaranteed not to rust. I bought an entire set from them a couple years ago. Not cheap, but you do what you have to do.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 11:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Andy Lewis
See User information
Thanks for the help, wish me luck, I saw how much those clips cost but you're right, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 15:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Lewis11; A big welcome to the forum. Thanks for posting some pictures of your 52. One thing that I caught my eye about your Packard is how good the chrome looks on your 52 especially the outer grille shell and the bumpers.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/5/1 21:32
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The PI door handle clips were a life saver. I'd like to buy everything for a buck-2.98 but it just don't happen anymore. The PB Blaster may save the clip - nothing else will.

Posted on: 2009/5/2 0:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved