Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 142

Todd W. White, Scott, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Source for a throw out bearing
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
OUCH! All the time I was thinking pilot bearing. My apologies, I'm going to have to have my eyes checked.

Again, per Hollanders the throwout is A-882,used up thru 1948 (some models) which is as recent as my volume covers. A-882 is listed as Packard-only.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 22:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Quote:

Bob1951 wrote:
I don't have a direct answer to your question but I can't resist tossing my two cents worth into this discussion.

I don't think Kanter and the other big three manufacture anything. I think we pay too high a price to compensate them only because they know where to buy the parts. Between two and three times what the part should cost. For instance they ask $39.00 for a wheel cylinder you can buy new at the NAPA dealer for $14.00. I'll bet that when they get an order for a wheel cylinder they run down to the NAPA dealer and buy it. Maybe that is why when you place an order it takes them sometimes two weeks before the part is shipped.

Don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with someone making a profit but 278% is a little much.

And if someone offered you three times much for your car, would you sell it? I dont mind them setting high price. If they can sell them at 278% profit, more power to them. If I can find one cheaper, than I will buy it. It's what the market will bear. Also what I don't like (Portlandon can atest to this) is people calling up the parts place for advice and then buyingthe parts from the cheapest place.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 1:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Also what I don't like (Portlandon can atest to this) is people calling up the parts place for advice and then buyingthe parts from the cheapest place.

Speaking as a parts guy for 10+ years, that $hit pisses me off too. Do your own research, don't make other's do it for you!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2010/1/15 1:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
A-882 is listed as Packard-only.
Do you suppose that is because Packard had that small spring attached to the throwout bearing from the clutch shaft cover?
I'm not all that familiar with other mfrs, but don't remember seeing that on other cars I've worked on.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 8:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Had my local clutch shop call there supplier and was told that bearing is proprietary .I also wouln't pay the price. I had the machine shop cut the collar down($35.00) by 30 thou and use a late model bearing.

A few more details as to machining and which modern bearing was used from 1938 Club Coupe might be worth a writeup or listing in the xref.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 8:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
To research:
Start by checking truck applications ca. 1928 thru late 1970's.

Have u tried checking the Packard Parts X-ref ???? See Main Menue at left of screen.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 9:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
What about this one?

Posted on: 2010/1/15 9:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THus far 1938 Club Coupe has the best solution. Not sure what part of the collar had to be cut .030" on a lathe. In some cases such as this a precision machine cut is not always necessary. Cruder methos mite be just as good. It depends.

Perhaps 1938 CLub Coupe can tell us what modern bearing he used and modified.

Sounds like the best bet thus far.

MOST LIKEY what 38 Club Coupe did is exanctly what the suppliers do.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 9:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
What about this one?

I checked that auction out and that bearing is the wrong size - in fact I have a spare one of those. The ID of the one on Ebay is too large - it might be for a V12 of something but it won't fit my car. The number on the Ebay one is BB20 and the ID is approx 2 1/4 " where mine is approx 1 3/4"

Posted on: 2010/1/15 9:56
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Eight, Super8 and Twelve used A477 thru 1935. 1936 thru 39 the Eight (320), SuperEight (385) and Twelve used A886.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 10:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved