Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 195

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Proper air cleaner for 352 V8?
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

vicpick58 wrote:
I once owned a 55 Clipper Custom Constellation hard top. It had the 352 engine with a four barrel carb, I don't remember if it was Rochester or Carter, but it definitely had the air cleaner with the scoops on the sides like the senior cars.

I later owned a 56 400 and a 56 Pat and they both had the same kind of air cleaner as my 55 Clipper Custom, only one of them was chromed instead of black.

Hey vicpick, welcome to the forum. Generally, I think the Clipper Custom and Constellation had the dual scoop air cleaner. Not sure, though. They were the closest Clippers got to the Senior Packards, and I suppose they got this little feature as a bit of underhood dressup. Both of the '55 Clipper Customs we had were equipped with the dual scoop type. I believe this unit carried an AC logo on it. Air cleaners are mostly a commodity item that I believe are shopped around.

Can anyone tell me if the single snorkel unit had a paper element, or was it also oil bath? BTW, Craig has a pretty neat how-to on this Packard Panther site for retro-fitting a paper element to the dual scoop version.

Funny, funny anecdote about the "Chevy" air cleaner. I bet those things are as scarce as SBC engines.

Posted on: 2011/3/5 20:05
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My '55 Clipper Super sedan with the 320 V-8 and Carter carburetor has the snorkel style air cleaner. It is an oil bath type.

(o{I}o)

Also, my Clipper has the later type cylinder heads, the ones with the long reach (Champion N type) spark plugs.

Posted on: 2011/3/5 21:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

vicpick58
See User information
Here is an ad for a reproduction of the style air cleaner that all of my V8 Packards had. Including the Clipper Custom with 352.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50s-Olds-Cadillac-air-cleaner-/250779210383?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a639b128f

Posted on: 2011/3/6 16:31
Former owner of: 1955 Clipper Constellation
1956 400
1956 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe that's a Senior only air filter. I tried to describe the Clipper 4-bbl (Carter) air filter yesterday in words, but have just found this photo of one in a period road test published in The Autocar. I believe these were manufactured by Houdaille. The inverted wiper motor and other differences are because the car was RHD.

The complete article can be found elsewhere on this site.

Attach file:

jpg  (163.98 KB)
177_4d74043c7da37.jpg 1050X839 px

Posted on: 2011/3/6 17:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Yup, that looks right.

However, the '55 Clipper Custom used the same Rochester air cleaner as the '55 Seniors (same style as shown in that eBay listing), but only because all of those cars were spec'd for the same Rochester single-4GC carb. (The Clipper Deluxe and Super got Carter carbs that year.)

1956 is a completely different story, as the only models with single-4GC installed as standard equipment were the Patrician and Four Hundred. (All Clippers and the Exec got Carter carbs that year.)

Actually, there's some difference betwen the dual-inlet Rochester air cleaners between '55 and '56, but I don't wanna get too far off-topic.

Meanwhile, see this post for clarification on the use of the term "bat wing" as it applies to air cleaners of the period:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6658&forum=8&post_id=71999#forumpost71999

Posted on: 2011/3/6 18:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I've just had my '56 Executive's carburetor re-built and was surprised to find that it has a Rochester carburetor. It has the original 352 CID V8 engine w/o AC. I know because I bought a re-build kit for the Carter carb and had to buy and over-night ship one for my Rochester carb. It may have been replaced sometime in the past, though. Are the hook-ups the same on the two carb types?

It also had the oil-bath air cleaner as shown in post #14 (had because it was converted to the paper cartridge type).

Posted on: 2011/3/6 19:01
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Packard
See User information
So my 1955 Clipper Custom Touring Sedan with a 352 V8 and Rochester 4bl carb should have the air cleaner with the scoops on the sides, the same as the Senior cars?

Posted on: 2011/3/6 19:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
bhappy -

The '56 Exec and Clipper Customs should have a Carter WCFB-2384S 4-bbl. carb.

However, Clipper Custom, Executive, Patrician, and Four Hundred - '55 and '56 - used the same intake (see parts book, Gr. 5.0829) and the same Carter fuel filter (see Gr. 9.110) and supply tube (see Gr. 9.205) from the fuel pump, (see Gr. 4.0312) - whether Carter or Rochester. The only difference in carb linkage appears to involve choice of transmission (see Gr. 9.135 and 9.1353).

While, the choke heat tubes (see Gr. 9.109) and distributor vacuum supply tubes (see Gr. 4.0312) vary by application, they can be bent to fit.

So, it wouldn't be hard to swap Rochester for Carter 4-bbl. carbs. Whether the Rochester carb on your car is properly calibrated for the displacement is another matter.

Posted on: 2011/3/6 21:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Davepa -

Quote:
So my 1955 Clipper Custom Touring Sedan with a 352 V8 and Rochester 4bl carb should have the air cleaner with the scoops on the sides, the same as the Senior cars?

Short answer - yes.

Again, there are subtle differences between '55 and '56 versions of that dual-inlet air cleaner. Easiest tell is the type of "seal" between the large opening on the underside of the top cover that mates to the O.D. of the lower air cleaner body. The air cleaner on my '55 Patrician (long since sold) used a weatherstrip-like material; my '56s have a whisker type.

Posted on: 2011/3/6 21:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Thanks for the thurough explanation and references. I had thought that my car was original throughout. I guess that the carburetor was swapped out at some point.

During the re-build of the carburetor, the various check-balls had been incorrectly installed and forced into the accelerator booster pump pathway. All is repaired and is working properly now.

Posted on: 2011/3/6 23:13
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved