Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
248 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 245

Bob1949Packard, todd landis, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: packards in South Africa !!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

william george stocker
See User information
thank you for taking the time - sending me the information that you did it helps me a lot. the head that you had done looks very clean, just the way i want mine to look - at least now i can see that all the hard work that i do must be done properly, no rushing on this job. i will do what you have advised, thanks again for all your help Bill.

Posted on: 2011/7/28 14:11
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

william george stocker
See User information
Thanks guys for all info on my engine,i will follow all leads and make this engine run once again, i have not worked on an engine before so lets hope i can rebuild her the way she was when new? but with your help i am sure i can't go wrong - it won't be for the want of trying,cheers
Bill

Now for the 100 dollar question:- if you read Parkard 1938 1939 series Shop Manual on page 8, 7) Valve System.
under Note- it reads Serrated washers at top end of each valve spring is to:- "Prevent valve Rotation" and make sure that top of spring and Serrated washer are fully seated in counter-bored recess in cylinder block.
(also known as a star washer is to stop something from turning/coming loose)

Posted on: 2011/7/28 14:45
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

william george stocker
See User information
Hi Barrie
have sent you an E-Mail waiting to hear from you, thanx for replying hope to meet soon! regards Bill

Posted on: 2011/7/28 14:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Bill,
for including another Packard, your '53 Clipper Touring Sedan in the Packard Owners Registry!

And I've realised there is another Johannesburg resident who is a PackardInfo member. It's Brandsman, who has a '39 Six 4 Door Touring Sedan.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 8:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

william george stocker
See User information
Thanx for this new contact name will try and contact him. I am still waiting for Barrie to get in touch with me?

all going well with my engine rebuild - cleaning it at the moment - is anoter story - but will keep on going, i am waitng for the guys to tell me when i can have the sleeves taken out and then take my engine in for Acid bath to clean the inside.

Having abit of trouble taking out the oil channel plugs at end of engine so that i can clean them out.

you would'nt have a picture of:- the proper way round the clutch plate go's? as i am sure its the wrong way round, i cant seem to find a photo? keep up the good work. Bill

Posted on: 2011/8/1 6:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The clutch plate should have its springs away from the flywheel. Am a bit baffled by the question as any clutch I've seen can not even be assembled the wrong way round as the springs will foul the flywheel to crankshaft bolts. Can you post a photo of yours?

Posted on: 2011/8/1 11:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
william george stocker wrote:Thanx for this new contact name will try and contact him. I am still waiting for Barrie to get in touch with me?.....
Bill,

Barrie sent me a PM about a week ago in which he said "....Thanks for the info......Read the post with interest. I send him a mail..." so he's tried to contact you. Don't know by "mail" whether he means Email or PM? If it's PM, have you checked your inbox here on PackardInfo? It's up the top left in the User Menu.

Posted on: 2011/8/2 2:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

william george stocker
See User information
Hi Ross.
That is what happend to mine, i saw scoring on the springs of the clutch and on the fly wheel bolts!, this is the first time i have had ago at this engine rebuild and thought the same thing as you did - but there was no noise from engine/clutch? when it ran, and it - changed gears OK.

i have had the 39 in the garage for some years now and thought i must rebuild it or sell it, so i decided to rebuild it- and see if i can get her back to running as she did when new?
i have got to charge up my camera, and will try and send you photos.

question:- do i need to renew all bolts inside the engine etc??
regards Bill

Posted on: 2011/8/5 11:43
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

william george stocker
See User information
There are another two people that own Packards here in South Africa - Barrie Swanepoel and Ron Wheeldon,
we have not met yet but in the near future we will!
as the guys here start to hear of us i am sure there will be more interest, but at least its a start thank you for your input,Bill.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 16:07
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

william george stocker
See User information
On the 14/08/2011 we had our first get together at Barrys home.
Ron came in his 39 6cyl packard which looked stuning - Barrys 1950 packard was in his garage, he had removed the dash and checking out the electrics, we all had a chat etc
and it was nice - Ron had not driven his Packard for about a year.
for myself i brought along a photo of my Packard, when it was on the road, we are now waiting on Barry to inform us of our next meeting, which i hope will not be too long off.

(Thanx to you guys at packard info for all the help,if you see any other packard owners here in S/Africa please let us know, all the best from Bill / Ron / Barry.
:- Packards South Africa.)

Note:-
I am looking for a bonnet mascot for my 1939 packard if - poss i am looking for the fancy ones and some original rear lights complete, can anyone can help?.

Posted on: 2011/8/15 11:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved