Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 115

Packard Don, Don B, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Now if this could be used to make Packard parts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I won't disagree that there are a lot of things the printers and like could not do--but if they can scan a water pump and have enough detail to make a casting pattern --even with a bit of human help-- then things have come a long way. I'm sure there are more intricate internal patterns they could not do.

Things I was referring to are the more simple items that in themselves are nothing to look at but to produce them the old way requires hours and hours of time. Making them would not be cost effective because you would need to sell a considerable number to have any return--like the Ultra front bushing Fred has a lifetime supply of. A Lehigh valve and gasket set would require a two or more piece steel die for each item at a tremendous up front cost the old way. Laying a valve on a scanner could have the dimensions and instructions for a water or laser jet in a few minutes. Production time would probably take longer to fix the stock in position than to do a few dozen parts. Unless there is something I'm terribly unaware of in the process, under those conditions I'd be surprised if you could not make and sell a small run successfully. Same with a shift linkage bushing and an automatic lathe or a number of other small but important items.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 10:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
I believe that 3D-printers will increase the spectrum of methods and it would be unwisely and grossly unfair to sneer at while they are in the early stages of development. It will be one of those foreseeable revolutions especially for the manufacturing branches of resin pouring technique and PVC coating.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Additional for making casting pattern, molds, visuals, samples, products made to specification, fast repair instead of delivery around the world(!), modelmaking, even batch production of casts it will be great. Perhaps I'm wrong but at the moment I don't believe that even improved printers will outstrip lines of metalworking industry or occupation groups as the computer did (for example typewriters, control systems, drawing boards, electromechanical adding-machines and their operators).

Posted on: 2011/8/5 12:31
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you search on YouTube for "printing an adjustable wrench" you will see a couple videos of an adjustable wrench being printing in one session with all internal working parts in place. The wrench comes out of the printer and the operator is then able to adjust the wrench open and closed. Pretty darn cool for prototyping.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 13:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
This will not work for making a machined part like the trans bushing which is made out of steel backed babbit. It can be used for a cast part like a parking light bezel 48-50

Posted on: 2011/8/5 14:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Kevin perhaps I'm too sceptical but this adjustable wrench simultaneously makes me a bit thoughtful. The fact that the whole world print adjustable wrenches reminds me on teflon-coated frypans. My doubt was already initiated after a moment's consideration. How is it possible to scan the inner guide rails and the covered shaft end of the spiral screw? Sorry but it smells like snake oil.

University of Iowa

Projet 5000 Production, South Africa

Hewlett-Packard, UK

Click to see original Image in a new window

Connex Tools, USA

University of the Philippines

DartUp Design Services, San Diego

The pictures and videos have been taken in a three-year period. If the wrench isn't a kind of reference level in a "3D-printer scene" then I don't understand why such talented innovators are so unimaginative to always scan the same object.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 15:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

fred kanter wrote:
This will not work for making a machined part like the trans bushing which is made out of steel backed babbit. It can be used for a cast part like a parking light bezel 48-50

What about the standard shift linkage bushings several have ask about help in finding a source. Apparently those either individually or in the repair kits are NLA at vendors???

Posted on: 2011/8/5 15:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Gerd, I always wondered that as well. I think they scan the wrench and then do "clean up" on in the computer software before printing. I think the internal parts are suspended with a fine sacrificial web of material when printing, which breaks apart when they start moving the adjuster on the wrench. Hence the initial "crunch".

I've also seen instances when individual parts are scanned separately, and then assembled in the computer software, and printed as a single assembly where each part in a different color for illustration.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 15:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...I think they scan the wrench and then do "clean up" on in the computer software before printing...

Additional I would like to soften the "snake oil" wording. To combine the 3D-print technology with a CAD-software but only show the scan process and the print result could rather be a kind of (bad) marketing idea. When I try to understand strengths and weaknesses of companies by studying their organization chart and business behavior then I often find the marketing department in close vicinity to the executive floor - spatial as well as emotional. Cultivated language, gorgeous girls, cashmere pullovers and before you could turn round managing director and marketing manager make a common bogeyman out of the objectiveness of the engineers. Three years later an apple-polisher will be the new principal engineer and the company goes through bad times. I classify such mistakes as structural weakness.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 16:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Can you make gorgeous girls in cashmere pullovers all in one printing or do you have to make the pullovers separately?

The shift linkage bushings are a machined part, the printer makes the first step in making a mold for a casting. A casting like a steering column shift lever, a driving light bracket or a cormorant wing. These items will most likely need machining after casting.

If you had a big enough machine that made the actual part and it could make it in different materials, heck, you could make a '42 Darrin Convertible Sedan!!

Posted on: 2011/8/5 21:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am not talking about the printer here. I was referring to the front end-- a professional version 3D scanner and software that outputs a CAD/CAM program the printer utilizes. I would think that would be a standard program that depending on need, could be configured differently. Send something to a mill, laser or water jet or in this case, to a lathe to make the bushings instead of a printer. Even fairly inexpensive home kit setups such as this onehttp://www.camtronics-cnc.com/index.asp with low end software output standard files. If so, what I was thinking was those files should be able to be sent to a shop who might be a little slow right now and have spare machine time & would be willing to do small runs. If not a standard file, there are probably conversion programs that can change format. Would think eliminating the hours needed to draw the CAD program or even blueprints for a bushing or any other simple part from scratch should reduce the upfront cost considerably.

Anyway, this discussion has gotten off track and makes me no nevermind. Just trying to throw out an idea which I think could stand investigating. If Leno's setup can make part of the process cheaper and easier, there should be other ways to take advantage of the technology.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 21:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved