Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Transmission Rattle?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Henry,

Yes, it was at the Stagecoach. The Buick club meets there two weeks after the Packard Meet. Our event is much larger, better organized, and has many, many more cars. Should have gone to the show in downtown Austin. Next year will go look at hot rods, customs, low riders, rat rods, and everything else.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/4/18 11:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
JW,

I'm looking forward to next year already! I will try to make it to the Salado meet for sure. The car should be out on the road soon, it's just keeping it on the road that is difficult.

The Lonestar Roundup was a great show. The swap meet was pretty big, and there were some interesting things for sale. There was a set of '52 plates I wish I had bought. Cruising Congress is best to do before the sun goes down. After that you should be parked so you can enjoy the festivities around Congress.

One thing I am planning on starting up next year, is cruising to Lockhart, TX. It is a real neat town a few miles south of Austin. The BBQ there is the best in Texas. Yeah, you should definitely check out the Lonestar Roundup next year. Just make sure you bring some comfortable shoes.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 12:37
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey Guys!

Took Lucy out for a drive to test her new clutch, and she did well. But... One thing lingers, the transmission is making a horrible "clanking" noise in 2nd that can be felt through the floor. What can that be? Am I going to have to pull the transmission to have it re-built?

1st, 3rd, and reverse work just fine. We even went from 1st to 3rd with no problems. Is skipping 2nd fine for driving around, or is this something I should address first?

Sorry for all the questions, i'm just really excited and worried at the same time.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/11/25 17:57
Garrett

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Garrett,

Good to hear you're up and driving, obviously the new clutch is working. Bad, though, to hear about the clunk in second. First thing that occurs to this inexperienced mind, is a chip off second. But the much more experienced here will be better placed to comment in depth.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 18:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
We even went from 1st to 3rd with no problems. Is skipping 2nd fine for driving around, or is this something I should address first?

Going directly from 1st to 3rd was and still is a fairly common practice for many drivers when starting on level ground or on a downgrade; you certainly won't have exhilirating acceleration but, unless there is some metal debris floating around in the transmission you won't do any further harm.

Your problem sounds like a chipped or broken gear tooth.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 20:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
We even went from 1st to 3rd with no problems. Is skipping 2nd fine for driving around, or is this something I should address first?

Going directly from 1st to 3rd was and still is a fairly common practice for many drivers when starting on level ground or on a downgrade; you certainly won't have exhilirating acceleration and going from a dead stop at the base of significant upgrades will be no fun, but unless there is some metal debris floating around in the transmission you won't do any further harm and may well prevent further damage.

Your problem sounds like a chipped or broken gear tooth.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 20:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Thanks for the replies O_D & Mal!

I will post a video once I get it uploaded, so you can hear what the noise sounds like in more detail. Other than that she ran pretty well, plenty of power, quiet, and not much smoke. I let my Mom drive it since she owned an old Ford Granada with "3 on the tree", and she really enjoyed it. She couldn't believe how smooth it ran and how little it smoked for a 60 year old car, in addition to sitting in a field for 40 of those years.

Once I add gear oil I will be taking her around the neighborhood. I'm stuck with this transmission for a while, so looks like it's 1st and 3rd for me.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/11/25 23:01
Garrett

Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved