Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 208

39Rollson, r1lark, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 21 »

Re: Adventures with a 1955 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

cli55er wrote:
yeah....i better get me a hotel now. LOL!

p.s. i wasn't implying i required staying at your house, i wouldn't invite myself LOL :0) just wanted to come see Packards.

Henry, that is how I understood your post. Didn't mean to spin it in another way. By the way, I do have some friends that would invite themselves. They are very good friends. Come on down!

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/9 12:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hello All,

I had a most surprising discovery in the most recent garage session on Saturday. I found a remnant of the build sheet, its birth certificate.

Earlier, I had noticed where I thought the build sheet had been attached. There were marks where what looked like masking tape had been used to fasten a document to the top of the transmission hump. Of course, nothing was left just the marks from the tape. I figured someone had found it years ago and removed it.

Later, while handling the front carpet I noticed a small piece of paper stuck to the carpet padding. The edge had holes for a sprocket fed printer. I examined it and found it to be a corner of the build sheet.

I could plainly see where it said to deliver to Zell Motors in Baltimore, Maryland. On the line below this was the 5542 model number and a "V". I will probably put the remnant in a plastic envelope and tape it back to where it was for over 56 years.

I have heard of build sheets being attached to the top of the glove box and on top of the fuel tank, but not on the transmission hump. Maybe this will help others to find their build sheets.

Take care.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (8.54 KB)
565_4e493a4216368.jpg 242X237 px

jpg  (22.96 KB)
565_4e493a58ef9f5.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2011/8/15 10:27
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Do what u will but i personaly would not put it back under the carpet dues to moisture and other possible destructive issues that can occur. Maybe put it between 2wo pieces of clear palstic sheeting and throw it in the glove box or keep it with title.

U're luckiy. I've never found any trace of a build sheet on my very original always garage kept 56 Exec.

Posted on: 2011/8/15 10:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Keith, good suggestion. I'll keep it with the car's other papers. Thanks.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/15 12:39
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hello All,

I made some good progress in the last garage sessions. I got the floorboards painted, the windlaces dyed, and rear carpeting and padding installed. All of this in 100F+ temps. My large fan helps when working in its blast. The problem is I am constantly moving about and the fan will not remotely follow me. May be installing some ceiling fans in the garage.

Previously, as described in an earlier post, I used some phosphoric acid to treat the mild surface rust on the floorboards. I then primed these areas. After that, I sprayed on some undercoating on the areas that had been scraped away. I used a rattle can undercoat. It is not as thick as the original undercoating, but it did put a protective surface back on. Lastly, I painted the floorboards with a good oil based satin enamel. It all looks much better than when I first removed the carpets.

Next was to try and get the windlaces looking better. They were in good shape, overall, but were suffering from severe fading. I carefully applied some leather dye, the same stuff I used on the seat backs. This job went well, and while not new looking, the windlaces are now more black than light tan.

After this, I reattached the windlaces and door post trim. The windlaces are stapled to a tack strip that is encased in the inside of the door openings. I used a heavy-duty stapler for this job.

The doorpost trim was more of a problem. Howard, in a reply to a message in one of the discussion forums, described in good detail how the post trim is attached. He is right on, as usual. Some of the fasteners did not survive being pried out. I used some 3M trim adhesive to fasten the trim to the body where fasteners were missing. I wrapped masking tape around the doorposts to hold the trim in place until the adhesive set. This seems to have worked well. The final thing to fix before installing carpet was to replace the wire going to the right rear door switch. In addition, I taped the rear speaker wire to the rear body wire loom.

I decided to use the indoor-outdoor carpeting used in the trunk. I like the color and texture, it goes well with the interior colors, and it does not need binding to keep the edges from raveling. The original carpet is a thin material with a rubberized type backing and some fiber padding. I believe the original type carpeting is not available, and has not been reproduced. The replacement carpet resembles the original more than the carpet material now available in auto trim shops, albeit with a bit more texture.

I covered the rear package shelf and the front kick panels with carpeting too. The fiber board these pieces are made of has not survived well over the last 56 years. I think the carpet covering on these pieces makes for a richer looking interior, not original, but nice. No photos on these pieces, yet.

I decided to start with the rear passenger compartment first. The footrest was the first to get covered. This piece was glued down using a Locktite spray contact adhesive.

Next was the rear floor carpet. In spite of being misshapen and worn, the original carpet provided a good pattern to cut a new one. The original carpet used a fiber material padding. I used a good quality carpet padding instead of the original type material. I cut two pieces of padding of the same dimensions as the original. After the rear carpet was in place I lifted the back of the carpet and fit the padding in place. Once satisfied everything lined-up I attached the padding to the carpet the spray adhesive. The carpet is not glued to the floorboards. It is held in place by the rear seat cushion and the door threshold plates. It can easily be removed, just like the original.

I am pleased with the results and will next move to the front carpet. This will be a more complicated piece to cut and fit, especially around the pedals area. That is why I am saving it for last. May get to it later this week.

Take care and thanks for your interest.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (37.74 KB)
565_4e495ccea32eb.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.05 KB)
565_4e495cdf4df52.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.15 KB)
565_4e495cfbaaec9.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (39.71 KB)
565_4e495d12a0b25.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.57 KB)
565_4e495d2b6e58e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.21 KB)
565_4e495d401afa3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.31 KB)
565_4e495d626b4d1.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (33.49 KB)
565_4e495d7a56349.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (30.74 KB)
565_4e495da212851.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.78 KB)
565_4e495dc016439.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/8/15 12:57
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
did you keep the patterns this time? lol!

lucky you, mine didn't have a trace of a build sheet and had maybe 1" square piece of carpet left! lol!

i have a 24" rolling fan and i have 2 industrial ceiling fans in my garage. works great!

Posted on: 2011/8/15 13:40
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Henry, I will save the carpet and offer it to anyone who wants to use it as a pattern for the cost of boxing and shipping. Usually a pattern for floor carpets is not needed, but if someone wants this stuff, I will be glad to send it to them. First come, first served. Let me know by Wednesday PM. Trash gets picked-up on Thursday AM.

I want to replace the ceiling fans in the living room and they can be moved to serve in the garage. Any air movement seems to help.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/15 14:53
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I did not get to do any Packarding this weekend, but here are some photos of previously accomplished improvements. Hope to get front carpet cut and installed this week. Then reattach the front seat and the interior will be just about finished. I say just about because one is never done with one of these projects. Thanks for your interest

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (22.53 KB)
565_4e5420b217936.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.34 KB)
565_4e5420bed8e64.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.33 KB)
565_4e5420d2876a4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.90 KB)
565_4e5420e12f410.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.59 KB)
565_4e5420f087fd0.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/8/23 16:53
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just for reference, the original type carpet is available. It is called Daytona Weave and is the wee little tiny loops on a cloth backing with a foam rubber layer under that. That would be correct for all 55 and 56 Deluxe and Supers. Lucky for us, it was also used in tons of mid fifties GM cars so is readily available, if somewhat expensive. My 56 Stude President had it also.

All that said, I have used the indoor-outdoor stuff in almost all of the pickups and several other cars. It comes in blue, tan, green, and grey and somewhat resembles the hogshair type carpet that Packard used up through 54 in many models. That hogshair style is hideously expensive and not all that durable. The indoor outdoor is so cheap you don't even blink if you ruin a piece, and holds up quite well. I clean grease marks off of mine with brake cleaner!

You are doing a great job with the Clipper and it looks very smart.

Posted on: 2011/8/23 17:16
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
JW,

The carpet looks really great. I may have to do what with my car in blue carpet.

Anyone have a picture of what the patterns look like for the front carpets? I have rear carpets to use as a pattern, but have nothing for the front.

Posted on: 2011/8/23 17:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 21 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved