Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 202

Owen_Dyneto, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 21 »

Re: Russian Chaika [means seagull]
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Gushca: Did you know that at onetime the Moskvich 412's with English Perkins diesel 1700 cc engines were assembled in Belgium. They were assembled by Sobinpex and called Scaldia.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/5/13 20:05
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What kind of brake master cylinder and power booster do the Russian Packards use????? Specifically the RUssian packards that most resemble the 55-56 Packards. Such as Zil 111.

A pic would be most desireable.

Posted on: 2009/5/22 21:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Gerd,

You're probably right on top of this but just in case, here goes - Excerpt from Hemmings e-Weekly Newsletter Volume 4 - Issue 52

Collectibles
My New Gull Friend
Automotive delights from behind the iron curtain remain a mystery to most of us -- we hear stories about how terrible the cars are. Whether they were any good or not, nostalgia still hits hard. This is true even in the former Soviet Union.

And where there's nostalgia, there's someone to capitalize on it. Welly, the Hong Kong die-cast concern whose model range consistently surprises, is offering a line of Russian vehicles, exclusively through Russian channels. Among the Ladas, UAZ off-roaders and other newer machines is this -- the GAZ Chaika.

Chaika means "gull," but it's hard to get a sense of what the gentle, aerodynamic beauty of a bird has to do with a late-'50s, Packard-copied sedan that's one step down from a limousine and often driven by the secret state police. More than 3,100 were built from 1959 to 1981, during which time the styling hardly changed at all.

Thirty years on, one cold war and a continent away, we're not sure what to be most tickled by: the notion that this car exists in small-scale at all, that Welly has done such a bang-up job with it, or that it's available exclusively through Russian channels.

In 1:64 scale, it would be huge, so it's a more manageable 1:72 scale. But the detail! Tampo hits, perfect molding, even the wheels and tires are excellent. There are multiple colors available, but honestly, black is where it's at with this one. And, seriously, the style is pure mid-'50s Packard. It's so close that Packard collectors might want one in their own collections, in which case the multiple available colors might make a little more sense.

To get your hands on one, check outhttp://store.diecast.ru for pricing and more information.
- By Jeff Koch

Attach file:

jpg  (3.24 KB)
226_4a28262f24255.jpg 150X113 px

Posted on: 2009/6/4 14:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Moskvich's were imported into the United States from 1956 through 1964.

John F. Shieman

Posted on: 2009/6/4 19:55
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks Guscha. We need to get Eric to look at this engine to comment. Is this the same engine used in the Zil 111 ???

Also, in some earlier pics u posted of Air conditioning there is what appears to be a 55-56 Packard AC compressor.

While we're here, are there any air conditioning systems in Germany that do NOT use a pump (compressor) but rather use fuel/heat to drive the refrigerant.

Also, does Germany use any kind of alcohol in the gasoline as an additive???

Posted on: 2009/7/4 16:16
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It looks like a cross between a Y-Block Ford, the timing cover and distributor look identical, and a later Ford, at least in the valve covers, they look like 429/460 style. (sort of)

Posted on: 2009/7/4 20:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I haven't been able to keep up with the forum lately, but I had to smile when I saw the photo of the basic model of the Chaika.

All this time, I thought you had to have a powerful computer and fancy CAD software to generate a 3-D wire-frame rendering!

Posted on: 2009/7/15 14:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Judging from the parts catalog illustration of the front lamps that you have provided, the headlamp bezel is very similar to what Packard did (right down to the castings), but sort of mash-up between '55 and '56 styles.

Clearly, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Posted on: 2009/7/15 14:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
None of the colors are bad but am curious who the pink was designated for. Somehow I just can't see a cigar chomping bigshot--even those of the female persuasion-- picking that one. Also think the single chrome side strip on this model fits the design much better than the double one on the convertible or parade car you showed the other day.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 16:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The pink car was Nikita Khrushchev's personal Mary Kay car, given to him by the Soviet Mary Kay Kosmetik Kompany for outstanding sales in the USSR.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 16:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 21 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved