Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 98

Todd W. White, Flybiker18, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 19 »

Re: Peterson's 1940 Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Time to go shopping for a more appropriate speedometer cable drive pinion?

Posted on: 2011/9/21 17:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Combined with the oversized tires, the problem with the speedometers is that as they age, the magnets in the spinning mechanism in the gauge get weaker. How that would affect the odometer, I don't know.

So, perhaps you're right. The replacement cable I put in was probably not totally correct????

Posted on: 2011/9/22 7:06
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
West, if I remember my high school auto shop instruction correctly (which was more than a half-century ago) the odometer and speedometer functions are not internally linked. That is, a speedometer error does not necessarily translate into an odometer error. I think the proof is that in a car with a completely inoperative speedometer, the odometer can continues to function. If I have this wrong, someone please come along and correct me, it's an interesting point.

Apparently, correcting or adjusting the magnetism for the speedo isn't a big deal; when I had my 34 speedo (a Waltham) repaired some years ago by Reynolds, it came back with a calibration certificate and was +/- 1 or 2 mph of true all the way thru it's range. PS - I suppose this has it's limits and isn't the way to adjust for incorrect speedo pinion gear matched to the rear axle ration.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 9:10
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well that is true, something like undersized/oversized tires would affect both the speedo and odometer readings.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 9:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The odometer is driven directly by the speedometer cable (through gears).

The needle of the speedometer is driven indirectly by a rotating magnetic field created by a permanent magnet that's driven off same cable.

Tweaking the speedo calibration is not the proper solution for incorrect drive/driven gears at the transmission or changing tire size or axle ratio, etc.

When an appropriate ratio couldn't be achieved by swapping out the drive/driven gears for the transmission, there used be inline adapters that could be installed at the trans end of the cable, but they didn't come cheap - even back then.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 9:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
something like undersized/oversized tires would affect both the speedo and odometer readings.

For sure.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 9:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I just replaced my upper outer shock mount bushings. I did this a couple of years ago and the original bushings were nearly perfect. The only reason I replaced them was because the pin and sleeve were rusted together and I had to cut them off. Now these two-year-old bushings are nearly distintigrated. Is the modern rubber being used inferior? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Attach file:

jpg  (65.45 KB)
404_4e838b6792165.jpg 1080X719 px

jpg  (81.88 KB)
404_4e838b7808ec9.jpg 1080X847 px

Posted on: 2011/9/28 16:03
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear West:

I think there are a few ways this could happen:

a) The upper control arms should be tightened with the suspension fully loaded at ride height level. This can be achieved by setting the hub on a jack stand at proper ride height using the lugs as the load bearing members. The bushings twist with movement and if they are tightened with the suspension hanging then when the car sits level they are already twisted and will twist beyond limits when the car hits a bump.

b) The rubber parts are too small for the hole. I assume you purchased the items from an established supplier. Once I contacted a supplier with a question about the proper way to install some Packard suspension bushings because the manual said the bushings were not intended to be replaced. They referred me to someone who - after I got past the insults as to my ability - answered my question.

c) A tire is way out of balance concurrent with a worn out shock. This would cause suspension drumming and beat the bushings to pieces. I don't think this is your problem.

If the parts went together without a lot of effort, perhaps they aren't correct. I'll wager that if you had OEM parts you might have to use a press to get them into the suspension because of the hysteresis required for the load bearing rubber to function properly.

I don't think this can be caused by an alignment problem unless the car was spun around into a curb. Don't laugh, a lot of Packards aren't very good in the snow and I've seen this on Packard V-12s.

Unfortunately, OEM parts are non-existent, but maybe someone has one that can be used to compare the new with original.

Good luck with your car.

Posted on: 2011/9/28 18:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Tim
Thank you for your thoughts. After sleeping on it, I think that your answer "a" is partially correct.

There is no way that you can install the pin while the wheel is hanging. The shock arm wants to push down, so I put the jack stand on the "A" arm to lift it. I suspect that what I should have done is install the pin, then raise the car so that the wheel drops down, releiving the stress on the lower part of bushing. Revisit time, before I take off for Hershey.

Shocks rebuilt by Five Points, however last night I noticed one of them was fairly low on juice. No sign of leaks, and I don't remember checking the level when I got them back.

No alighment problem. Realigned when I replaced outer tie-rod ends. I've driven 7,000 miles and no odd tire wear, and no pull in either direction

No vibration or shake in the steering wheel

My other thought is that the modern rubber material is no where near to specifications of what the original was.

Posted on: 2011/9/29 8:04
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Nevermind. I just realized (was informed) that the shock itself does not apply any pressure until "shocked" in one direction or another. Since I had the jack stand positioned so that there was no downward or upward pressure on the wheel, it should be installed properly.

I'll keep an eye on the bushing and keep you updated.

Posted on: 2011/9/29 9:24
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 19 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved