Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 169

dallas, Soybeanfarmer1 , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 124 125 126 (127) 128 129 130 ... 146 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Would also be a good idea to add a drop or two of oil to the speedo bushing oil hole when you grease the cable.

Attach file:

jpg  Speedo.jpg (69.96 KB)
209_651105e9b0131.jpg 640X960 px

Posted on: 2023/9/24 23:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Kevin,

Beautiful scenery there. Glad to read your out cursing with out any hiccups.

This is what it is all about. Getting out there and enjoying them.

Posted on: 2023/9/25 6:19
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks Howard, I had forgotten about the oil hole. I really need to pull that cable and get it done. I drove the Panama for a few miles today and the cable/speedo is getting much worse.

And thanks Tom!

In other news I got sick of fighting the original positive battery cable, and its poor connection. Starting became unreliable and I kept having to mess with the cable to get it to work.

I ordered a 2-0 cable from BatteryCablesUSA (33" length) and it came within 3 days. I know the original is 1-0, but I wanted extra juice so I went with the 2-0. Cable quality is fantastic.

The car started almost immediately, which never happens on a cold start. So far so good. That was $30 well spent.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  New battery cable.jpg (212.75 KB)
1059_6512251e7bfb7.jpg 1300X975 px

jpg  Old cable fraying.jpg (94.61 KB)
1059_65122525db8be.jpg 1300X975 px

jpg  New cable installed.jpg (193.15 KB)
1059_6512252e9e58f.jpg 975X1300 px

Posted on: 2023/9/25 19:26
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The speedo oil hole usually had a brass cup plug in it. So you have to pry that put first or the oil won't get to the wick that's underneath it.

Posted on: 2023/9/25 19:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Junky cables will make a brand new car unreliable. I'd lube the speedometer and cable soon to avoid possible damage. For some reason, cooler weather seems to make dry cables and speedometers act worse. Cold mornings will often cause dry speedometer heads or cables to malfunction crazily. The little gears that drive the odometer can get dry and noisy, too. They need very little lube, but they have to have some.

Posted on: 2023/9/25 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I pulled the speedo cable yesterday, cleaned it up, and lubed with white lithium grease. I couldn't find any of the graphite product made for cables. I've read plenty of people using white lithium so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I also went to apply some oil to the speedo bushing. I was surprised to see that the brass cap that was supposed to be there was not, so apparently someone has been in there before. Instead it was a layer of crud and sand. I cleaned it all up, the wick was still present and protecting the bushing. I applied some light oil and reassembled everything.

The cable makes no noise now and the bouncing is better, but not completely gone. Not there at all at driving speeds, but noticeable at low speed. Good enough for right now.

Went on a nice Sunday drive today after church with my wife. Got a few good pictures, but we're a bit early for fall colors. Another week or two should be perfect.

Parked it in the garage, went back out to grab something a few hours later and to my surprise the driver's front tire was completely flat. I must have hit a nail on the gravel roads. I doubt I did any major damage to the tire. The car is now up on jack stands and I'll pull the wheel off tomorrow and take it down to the tire shop. It should be fixed in no time.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Windows up.jpg (385.26 KB)
1059_651a36cc3683c.jpg 1920X1280 px

jpg  Passenger Front.jpg (488.69 KB)
1059_651a36d9021cf.jpg 1920X1143 px

jpg  Passenger Side.jpg (442.51 KB)
1059_651a36e87eaf1.jpg 1920X1280 px

jpg  Flat tire.jpg (128.34 KB)
1059_651a3700037bd.jpg 1300X975 px

Posted on: 2023/10/1 22:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Annoying but hopefully an easy fix. When I put new tires on mine, they didn't bother to replace the (probably 15 year old) stems, so I ended up with a flat after 1 day of sitting. Wasn't too happy with that place...

Posted on: 2023/10/2 7:21
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Well it turned out to be the stem after all. They were new stems, but my front wheel covers like to rotate on the wheels, no matter how much I tighten the teeth. So I had them put a solid valve stem on it. I'll need to do the same for the other front tire soon.

I drove the '38 Super to go pick up the repaired tire, as an excuse to give it another test drive. I also filled up the gas tank while I was at it because I had no idea how much fuel was in it (gauge not working). Got to talk to a couple of guys about the Super.

With the valve stem repaired I got the tire back on the Panama and put in on the lift to check the brakes. I've been noticing more movement in the pedal recently. I tightened the shoes on all the corners, and checked the master cylinder reservoirs. The rear one was low, which has me concerned. No obvious signs of leaks that I could tell, and everything is brand new. So I filled it back up and went for a test drive. Feels fine but I think I will dig into it more.

Since I had both the cars out today I messed around with storage solutions for winter time. The Super will be staying at our place this winter, and that means we are out of indoor parking spaces. So with some careful parking I should be able to fit both Packards on one side of the shop, leaving the lift open to work on other vehicles.

Interestingly enough, when I parked the two side by side I realized that the Panama is a good amount longer than the Super.

We still have probably a month left before I need to put them away completely.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Valve stem broken.jpg (129.71 KB)
1059_651b29e69819f.jpg 1300X975 px

jpg  Filling up the Super.jpg (161.00 KB)
1059_651b29f327f2f.jpg 1300X975 px

jpg  Glorified tire carrier.jpg (131.06 KB)
1059_651b29fa47886.jpg 768X1024 px

jpg  Checking space for winter storage.jpg (139.12 KB)
1059_651b2a05e142f.jpg 1300X975 px

jpg  Should have enough room.jpg (218.06 KB)
1059_651b2a0ed23f4.jpg 975X1300 px

Posted on: 2023/10/2 15:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Your shop looks quite nice if not a bit TOO clean and you seem to have plenty room! Do you have dollies for rolling vehicles sideways when the need arises? It does for me quite often due to the layout of my shop and the fact that it was designed for six large cars and there are seven in it after I brought my everyday car up there for some work.

In the high desert of Central Oregon where my shop is it can get below zero and up to three digits (it went up to 112 when I was there a while back) but my cars are all indoors in a well-insulated shop. No heat or cooling in there yet but it typically doesn't need it, especially with the very low humidity. Since my cars get started up and run to temperature every couple months, it never occurred to me to do anything to them for the intervals but I doubt I need to. They're never driven anyway except for maybe around the block on private gravel roads just to keep the transmission fluids moving.

Posted on: 2023/10/2 16:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks Don. I'm a stickler for a clean shop, at least my own shop. When I was rebuilding my Panama I was fortunate to be able to use my neighbor's shop and his lift. It was very kind of him. But his shop was a mess. The only open space was underneath the lift, and that's because I moved stuff to get my car in there. To move around I had to step over piles of stuff and find a place to put my feet.

I like to have room to get around the cars without difficulty. I'm happy that it looks like I'll have several feet of space on all sides of both cars, so that I can work on them without hinderance.

We also use the shop quite a bit for other purposes. The back half (through the double doors) is a large multi-purpose room. The kids are out there all the time playing, I have hobbies in there, and we frequently have groups over for games and social activities. In November we are hosting end-of-season gathering for one of our daughter's soccer teams. Apparently there will be around 60 people attending (ugh), which means the cars will need to be moved out, shop cleaned up to shine, then tables and chairs set up to accommodate everyone.

I do have dollies to move the cars if needed. But they don't roll nearly as well as I thought they would.

Posted on: 2023/10/2 23:59
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 124 125 126 (127) 128 129 130 ... 146 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved