Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 18 »

Re: 1948 Super Eight Resurrection
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
O-D is right. I once had a dead short in my '47 electrics somewhere that would blow the circuit breaker located somewhere under the dash up by the wiper motor (47's had electric wipers). If I waited a few minutes the breaker would rest intself sp perhaps you should locate the breaker and find out if it needs replacement. Good luck.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
That is what I figured. Fix the short, and the breaker would reset and not trip.

I'm pulling the front seat now. Amazing amount of stuff underneath!

Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  (134.89 KB)
4371_514251771c685.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2013/3/14 17:39
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Found the original owner's manual.

Attach file:

jpg  (113.94 KB)
4371_514256b58f292.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2013/3/14 18:01
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Joey,

Good to see you're back into the '48.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 20:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Quote:

joeyearl wrote:
Found the original owner's manual.

Joey!

Glad to hear you're working on your '48. That owners manual looks like a good Saturday night puzzle to piece back together, definitely not beginners level though.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2013/3/14 20:55
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I think that puzzle is going in the trash.

Rewired the tail lights, replaced the fuse, and they work just fine. Turn signals too. The problem now is with the brake lights. I got them working, but I encountered a short and tripped the breaker, because my interior lights don't come on now. I waited for the breaker to reset, but decided to go on home and check it in the morning.

Attach file:

jpg  (149.32 KB)
4371_5143cf7875105.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2013/3/15 20:49
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Lights all working great after adding new female bullet connectors and replacing about eight inches of wiring to the stop light switch on the master cylinder. I've found that the wiring that is still wrapped up, if the black tape is removed, is usually pretty good underneath, albeit a bit stiff. If you carefully cut away a few inches of wrap you can expose some fairly good wires to splice into. That is what I've done in the trunk, ignition, and the stop light wiring. All of my splices and connectors are soldered and heat shrink tubed. I'm using cloth covered 14 gauge, that I'm color coding with dyes and basecoat auto paints. Probably overkill, but I happened to find a 100' roll of Standard Plus cable in my shop.

I am considering adding a mechanical switch for the brake lights actuated by the pedal. The pressure switch doesn't come on soon enough to suit me. Has anyone done this?

Attach file:

jpg  (89.20 KB)
4371_5144c7f7cdcb4.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2013/3/16 14:29
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Quote:

joeyearl wrote:
I am considering adding a mechanical switch for the brake lights actuated by the pedal. The pressure switch doesn't come on soon enough to suit me. Has anyone done this?

Hey Joey!

The pressure switch on my '52 would keep the brake lights on so, I went to a mechanical switch. Mine came with power brakes, so the setup is a little different from yours, but it works pretty darn well. I used a plunger style switch behind the brake pedal, don't worry, I checked to make sure there was full pedal motion before I went out on the road. Using a continuity tester I set the switch at a desirable distance to get the lights to come on with light braking.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2013/3/16 14:38
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
It's a strange thing but modern brake fluid seems to affect those switches. In the old days they were very reliable.

I have a vile of 60 year old brake fluid. When exposed to light it turns brown. It has a totally different odor than the new stuff - very distinct and unforgettable.

Posted on: 2013/3/16 17:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information

There was an install on a slightly later car which may be similar enough to yours that you can get some ideas.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=9253#forumpost9253

Posted on: 2013/3/16 18:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved