Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 225

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Kev wrote: "Then I can try to start car feeding it from a gas can..."

Just don't pour from the can to the carb. Get a lighter fluid can with a closeable top and fill it with gasoline. Use that to feed the carb initialy. It's even a bit dangerous doing it with the lighter fluid can. I do it nearly every week with the lighter fluid can. Just keep your face as far back from the carb as possible and do not squirt the gasoline while the engine is cranking.

Posted on: 2008/10/19 23:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well what I meant by feeding it from a gas can was that I would drop a line from the fuel pump into a gas can, and use that as my temp gas tank until I can get the acutal gas tank and fuel lines delt with. The car is not moving anywhere, so just going to use the gas can for testing running in place.

Posted on: 2008/10/19 23:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
where can i get this PI judging guide ;0) ????

Posted on: 2008/10/20 12:33
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Corbin hose clamps, though distained by many for their "cheap look" are correct for all hoses save one on the water pump. Red heater hose was all the rage some years back for its flashy look but is incorrect. Last time I looked it was still available.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 12:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Cli55er, most PI stuff is sold at their various meets and some regions have their own items. Here is main contact info. Call or write and Carol Mauck can help you out on the judging guides. IIRC, kinda pricy and in sections.

http://www.packardsinternational.com/

Posted on: 2008/10/20 12:56
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well a few small things today before the sun went down. I finished stripping the fuel pump shield, and got that into primer. Will paint with engine color tomorrow if I dont get side tracked with other things. I also reinstalled the road draft tube. I need to do a little reseach to figure out what the proper type of clamp is used to that. Right now I just used a modern hose clamp.

So I decided to see what condition the Ranco heater valve was it. As you can see by the first picture, it was pretty gnarly. So I tossed it into the blast cabinet and spray it with some glass bead. It came out looking pretty good. It need a bit more cleanup. But it was enough to check it's condition. The mechanism itself was frozen. I bathed it PB Blaster and rocked it back and forth and got it break loose. But the mechanism is still pretty sticky. I think this is because of the corrosion it side unit and how pitted everything is. Also the valve plunger and base seals are bad. You can see the corrosion in the last picture. I guess I am going to have to send it out to get it rebuilt.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.22 KB)
1_48fd44a936c15.jpg 600X800 px

jpg  (37.90 KB)
1_48fd44cf30770.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (32.86 KB)
1_48fd44d7dda48.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (50.58 KB)
1_48fd44e11e0dc.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/10/20 21:57
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i think there is a guy on ebay that sells them with you sending your core back to him. pops up on ebay from time to time.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 22:06
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well there is a guy near San Diego that rebuild them, so I just sent him an email to get an estimate. If his price is too high, then I will send to it to Joe Hudacek in Wisconsin.

Damn I was hoping to keep everything in-house. But I cant find any repair parts for them.

Posted on: 2008/10/21 0:03
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Hmmm..... I found this the Napa website:

http://napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=BK&PartNumber=6601000&Description=Heater+Valve+Repair+Kit

If I can get the lever mechanism itself working freely again, perhaps I can take it apart and replace the seal.

Posted on: 2008/10/21 1:29
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You amaze me the way you work that Napa website. That's the same piece some vendors in Hemmings charged $20 for.

Just be careful with the holding tabs-slow and patient. They really used some brittle stuff on the valves. The brass tabs because of the length and curve want to split and the steel ones that hold the control mechanism on want to break.

Posted on: 2008/10/21 8:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved