Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 199

West Peterson, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Electricaal issue ..41 Packard no current
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You might want to look at this video about brake adjustment if you haven't worked with drum brakes before.https://youtu.be/T1Zc3aW18Z4

Posted on: 2023/5/11 12:25
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Adjusted brakes and they work great!! I had bled them properly the whole time…was my first time with drum brakes and had no idea about the adjustment…thanks for all the advice this week from everyone…all my issues were addressed from info here and all resolved ..took it out for a 30 minute drive and all gauges read properly ….first time car has been on the road since 2007…it ran great! carb makes a kinda of whistling noise but no issues that I can see with it..

Attach file:

jpeg  8BE1F043-39AD-4B14-83EE-A004D33E3917.jpeg (152.76 KB)
191389_645d6df8b0101.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/5/11 17:36
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Thanks

Attach file:

jpeg  3F5B5CE0-971E-4D11-9057-5301AA7699B2.jpeg (196.73 KB)
191389_645d6e4ad0c5f.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/5/11 17:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Is your air cleaner complete and in place? The air cleaner is both an air filter and a silencer. It's normal for the carburetor to make hissing or moaning sounds. The air cleaner assembly eliminates the intake noise, filters bugs and grit out of the incoming air, and acts as a flame arrestor in case of backfire.

Posted on: 2023/5/11 21:52
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
I had taken off the top portion to check where the sound was coming from…definitely a vacuum type sound coming from throat of carb…I can clearly hear it when engine is running so it’s pretty loud… I don’t remember that sound many years ago when I use to drive it

Posted on: 2023/5/12 11:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Jimmyk;
Two symptoms here: First the possibility of a rich condition as evidence by the spark plugs, second the whistling somewhere in the carburetor throat. I would investigate the choke system first.

To conduct the proposed test the entire air filter/silencer will need to be removed.
With the engine fully warm and running try rotating the choke plate in the direction of ‘choking’ the engine. Easy does it, just a little bit of force against the bimetal with your finger . . . not enough to alter the mixture. After that try pushing the choke plate to the full open the position . . . hard against the stop. Did the whistle sound change during this test? If it did then let’s start looking at the choke adjustment, especially if the noise stops when the choke is full open. It other words, if the whistling stops when you push the choke full open I’ll go out on a limb and say the choke is not adjusted correctly. Later we might want to investigate the choke vacuum piston condition, but that’s a subject for another day.

I’ll be first to admit my experience with your Stromberg carburetor is extremely limited, but some of the design concepts appear to be the same as the later Carter designs. If the choke vacuum piston detail is an area of similarity, I believe once the choke plate achieves the full open position the air flow in that system is blocked by the motion of the piston, therefore the air flow in the choke system should be zero, or near zero with the plate full open. The Stromberg Manual available on this site (see StrombergManual.pdf (packardinfo.com) does not specifically state the cut-off function, but the artwork on page 2 (page 15 of the PDF) suggests air flow cut-off is likely with the choke full open. The integrity of the choke vacuum passage ‘Welch Plug’ should also be inspected. If in doubt a bit of paint along the outer diameter of the plug should seal it well enough for you to determine if that’s an area that will need attention. In the same vacuum passage there appears to be a lead plug, again a bit of paint will seal that area for enough time to conduct the test. The choke circuit might whistle during warm-up but somewhat silent after that. The above testing is only trying to determine if whistling airflow is associated with the position of the choke plate and therefore the piston position. The Welch plug and lead plug if leaking will whistle independent of the choke plate position.

dp

Edit: I can't seem to get the links to work correctly when using Word as a means to compose the message. Perhaps someone with more savvy will help.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/StrombergManual.pdf

It works OK when I paste directly into the posting, but not when using Word.

Posted on: 2023/5/12 18:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Ok…thank you..I just got back home and will take a look tomorrow and do what you described…my carb is the wa 530s carter…some models had the Carter but I believe mine came from another Packard long ago…hopefully that’s good news as for your experience with carters…I’ll report back tomorrow,, thank you

Posted on: 2023/5/12 19:12
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Also my carb is an automatic choke with heat riser tube….

Posted on: 2023/5/12 19:17
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Thanks..this would have helped… think they are adjusted well now..I will save it

Posted on: 2023/5/12 19:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
I can't seem to get the links to work correctly when using Word as a means to compose the message. Perhaps someone with more savvy will help.

Word processors such as Word typically do not use a standard character set and often change characters to alternate versions that can cause problems when using for things like this. If you're going to write somewhere else then paste in, use a pure text editor such as Notepad.

Posted on: 2023/5/12 19:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved