Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
177 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 176

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Chevy into Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Owners who know prewar Packards inside and out, and who use them for long trips, tend to keep the engine but change the transmission.

Overdrives and higher rear axle gears (lower numerical) are a lot more popular than engine swaps.

Posted on: 2011/1/5 16:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I do agree with the dream of having a Packard to drive back and forth across the country, or to work or wherever. I'd be willing to put up with a lot of inconvenience just for the experience. You meet a lot of interesting people when you drive an interesting vehicle over distance. Adventure is good. If you can incorporate it in your everyday chores, all the better.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 22:12
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Assuming they were in the car; I wonder what he's going to do with the original engine and transmission? I don't need them but I'm sure somebody around here does.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 22:43
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't know why a well sorted '37 wouldn't be able to travel the continent successfully. Obviously, the owner's expectations would have to coincide with the realities of auto travel in 1937 but I don't know why it couldn't be accomplished. To me it'd be thrill of a lifetime.

However, I'm not a fan of the engine swap idea. If the owner wants to pilot a Packard across America, then keep it all Packard. If he wants a SBC under the hood, why not just buy a Chevrolet to see the USA?

Posted on: 2011/1/7 1:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Probably because it is not prudent to become a 60 mph moving obstacle. Speed limits of rural hwy are now in the range of 55 - 65 mph. Missori has 2 lane black top posted as high 70 mph (ca. 2001) MOST traffic is moveing at 60-65 on 2 lane and everybit of 80 mph I'state hwy.

By the way, there are probably at the very least 100 cars on the roads now for every 1 car in 1937 or even 1957.

During the (approximately) 1975 to 1998 time frame when national speed limit was 55 mph then yes, i could certainly agree that any of the prewar 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder cars would be just fine for all road and travel conditions. Even a model A Ford maybe.

Attempting ANY modern day OPEN HIWAY travel with expectations to coincide with anyhting to resemblee 1937 road/traffic conditions is grossly irrational.

It's only an engine swap. I doubt that any significant butchering of the 37 oem platform is necessary.

For those of u that really believe in driving like it's still 1937 then leave your cell phone, GPS, autoclub membership and charge card at home before u tour and carry a TIRE patch kit too.

Posted on: 2011/1/7 8:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
I don't own a cell phone (never have and never will) and can't fathom why one needs GPS. Furthermore, the last time I checked a map does the same thing as GPS unless you really need to know where the next McDonalds or WalMart is located. You've got me on the motor club membership and charge card, however.

Also, I have a hard time figuring out what is unreasonable about traveling at 55mph on two lane highways where the posted speed limit is 55mph. If someone wants to break the law they can just go around me. That's what inconsiderate drivers do when I obey the law while driving my thoroughly modern 2006 Dodge and I suppose that's what they'd do to a fellow in an antique 1937 Packard.

Come to think of it, maybe someone should tell the Amish folks that live in and around northeast Ohio that they should give up their horse and buggies because it's irrational to travel in a conveyance that can't achieve 55 or 65 mph on state highways. But I digress.

As to the engine swap, it's the owner's car and he can do whatever he likes. The rest of you folks can argue the originality vs. modification issue.

Posted on: 2011/1/7 10:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Comments about cell phones (yes, I have one and make about 4 calls a year), GPS, etc. aside for the moment, it just strikes as nuts to want to drive, repetitively, back and forth across the country in a 70+ year old car, regardless of engine and drivetrain.

Posted on: 2011/1/7 11:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
ScottG comments---I don't own a cell phone (never have and never will) and can't fathom why one needs GPS. Furthermore, the last time I checked a map does the same thing as GPS unless you really need to know where the next McDonalds or WalMart is located. You've got me on the motor club membership and charge card, however.

Would agree most of the time. Unfortunately, where I live pay phones are all but extinct now. A cell phone would be nice if you need to call the motor club or the cops while driving in your Packard. Other than that, can't think of anyone I would want to speak with bad enough that it couldn't wait -- so no need to be on it much. Bought one of the pay as you go types for that reason.

As to GPS, a few months ago was glad others didn't share our feelings on the need. Went to an out of town company dinner & rode along with others. The driver took a wrong turn--at night--unfamiliar city--hand scrawled map & got us very lost. After wandering for about 20 minutes it became obvious things were not getting better.

Fortunately a couple of the others did have GPS on their phones. They pulled them out and each got us there. What was interesting is while they both found the place, they each wanted different routes to get there so the driver had to choose whose GPS to follow.

O_D comments.....it just strikes as nuts to want to drive, repetitively, back and forth across the country in a 70+ year old car, regardless of engine and drivetrain.

Amen. I am old enough to remember driving 2 lane highways, no AC, no amenities, barely a heater and mostly nothing else in those cars. Any travel from this guy had better be done in style anymore. As far as cross country, forget it. I won't even do the 250 miles to the PI meet unless someone else drives.

Posted on: 2011/1/7 11:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I travel in the US and Canada in a 25 year old Class C motorhome powered by 350SBC. I can only comfortably cruise in the 50-55 mph range and even less in strong head winds and have had very few problems where being unable to exceed that speed is a problem. I stay almost exclusively on two lane highways. There are so many highways which are almost deserted especially in the west but where it is a real pleasure to settle along at 50mph for hours on end. I wouldn't hesitate to take it across the continent so why not in a '37 Packard Six which is capable of 55mph all day long should it not? I am sure that with planning routes across the continent where the limited speed of an antique car would not pose a traffic hazard could be found. I drove across most of Nebraska on Old US 30 at 50mph for example.
I own a cell phone on a pay as you go plan to stay in touch with home although I usually use a phone card at a pay phone when I can find one. I quite often travel in remote areas where there is no coverage so it in much of my travels it is of no use.
I do have a GPS also which I find very handy when in big cities and negotiating interchanges on Interstates or for finding restaurants and motels. On occasion it has taken me astray on dead end roads in mostly rural areas when it is trying to guide me along with the shortest route setting and that can be frustrating. I have spent most of my life travelling with road maps or topo maps and a compass and mostly use a Rand McNally when on the road.

Posted on: 2011/1/7 11:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Quote:
it just strikes as nuts to want to drive, repetitively, back and forth across the country in a 70+ year old car, regardless of engine and drivetrain.

That's too bad as you're missing out on quite an adventure. Ours is a beautiful country if you take the time to see it.

As for driving spartan autos, I, too, share similar experiences. My wife and I put many miles on a '66 Caprice (283SBC, Powerglide, heat, AM radio) when we were younger. At 70mph, my little mouse motor was screaming, but the hardtop gave us all the a/c that we needed and the big bench seat cushioned my rear just fine. Somehow we survived without the modern junk they stuff in cars today. But, to each his own, I suppose.

By the way, I think Dave makes a great point. There are a lot of things on the roads in America that don't maintain high speeds. RV's, large trucks ascending grades, farm equipment, bicycles, pedestrians, etc. Can they be obstacles for drivers of modern motor vehicles? Yes. But avoiding obstacles seems to be a basic part of driving.

Posted on: 2011/1/7 12:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved