Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 122

R H, chocobo9x, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 18 »

Re: Tim's '55 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
From what I've seen of the prior work on this car, I would not be surprised if the individual in question tried to hammer the old drums off instead of using a drum puller. When I pulled off the wheel covers, I found that the wheels were fastened to the drums by only 3 or 4 lug bolts.

Still, this being a learning experience for me, I am certainly getting my share of surprises.

The emergency brake cables are also disconnected and I haven't even thought of how much work will be involved in re-connecting them. Perhaps this would be a good time to replace the whole cable if I can find a decent or NOS one.

Posted on: 2011/9/3 20:43
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
PA PAT:

A couple of people have mentioned my 55 Pat. that is up for sale. It is complete with several options. It will only be missing the A/C when I sell it. It will have a complete rear end in it as well as kick panals and rear package tray, as well as everything else in the way of spare parts. I don't know if you have a place to store it or the extra money to purchase it but if the thought is interesting enough PM me for my phone # and we can talk and maybe come up with an arrangement.

ALK

Posted on: 2011/9/4 9:03
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Just a quick update on the '55 Pat. Still working on pulling what remains of the two rear wheel hubs left when a prior owner split the drums from the hubs. Thanks for all the advice on how long it might take for the drum/hub to break free once it has been on the axle for a while. I'm also grateful to the advice as to leaving the axle nut on so the loosened drum/hub doesn't go flying across the garage. The two photos are nothing special, just showing the drum/hub puller firmly attached and letting the stress on the remaining hub do the work. I must have patience - after all, who knows how long these hubs have been on those axles.

Attach file:

jpg  (56.95 KB)
3929_4e68a6d95f3d2.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (83.64 KB)
3929_4e68a6e36ee27.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2011/9/8 6:28
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since those hubs are history anyway, some heat would probably help them loosen.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 10:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Be careful with applying heat - so as not to damage axle.

Might wanna try giving the joint a liberal dose of a good penetrating oil, first, and letting it soak overnight.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 11:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
I've already given the hub an extended shot of PB Blaster and am letting it sit for a few days. Perhaps later today I'll give the T-handle a few more whacks with the hammer. I'm still trying to imagine the amount of force required to shear those rivets to separate the drum from the hub. If the hub doesn't come loose by Saturday, I'll be applying some judicious heat treatment. Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions. This is new territory for me, as you can quite imagine.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 11:11
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Here's what I did to get more leverage. It worked! I gave up on hammering the short armed 3-prong puller. The long square bar, being against the ground, locks the puller in place so that the breaker bar/impact socket can apply a LOT of torque. The floor jack supports the threaded shaft so that the breaker bar does not bend the puller off the hub.

Craig

(click for larger view)
Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/9/8 11:17
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Cool set up and I can see where that would be beneficial. It sure beats my son's suggestion of using explosives.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 13:54
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Cool set up and I can see where that would be beneficial. It sure beats my son's suggestion of using explosives.

I can understand the frustration leading to thinking of explosives!

Of course, 1956 Packards use the Dana rear end (Ford style), wherein the axle is retained with a plate that unbolts. At last Packard figured it out, but too late.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/8 19:30
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
SUCCESS AT LAST!!! My patience has finally been rewarded. The errant hub has finally broken free from the right hand rear axle and now sits defeated on the garage floor. The struggle lasted more than three days, but in the end, victory was mine! Now, on to the left hand rear axle where I still have to coax the lug bolts to allow the wheel to be removed so that I can begin the arduous work of hammering on the left rear hub. I am now re-invigorated; but an impact wrench would be a nice addition to the tool collection.

Posted on: 2011/9/10 20:31
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved