Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 108 »

Re: Recent additions to the Owner Registry
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
and to IBUB, for including his '51 200 Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

But I'm a bit confused, as usual, because of this "TRANSMISSION: Gearstart Ultramatic, 3 speed manual". IBUB, can you lessen the confusion for me please?

Posted on: 2011/6/8 22:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

1938darrinpackard
See User information
Thank you for the welcome. Re the "38 Eight Convertible Coupe" designation, the truth is I wasn't sure what model choice to make. Can you recommend what I should enter in the model choice? It was a drop-down menu and I didn't see Darrin Convertible Victoria as an option.

Not too long ago I could have told you it was a black car with 2 doors...and not much more. I'm still learning the differences between a Packard and a Packard that is custom-bodied. I didn't see any other Darrins in the registry but thought it would be okay to register it since it was on a Packard body. I'm appreciating this community for the information I'm learning about the car. Makes me wish I'd listened to my Dad when he was talking about the car.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 1:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Gail,

Because of my lack of knowledge concerning Darrin's I'll be guided by the more knowledgeable and experienced here concerning how your '38 Darrin should be identified. I'm open to suggestions, so people please advise any thoughts as the best way to identify this Packard. Once properly identified, the Model Name can be edited in the Registry. If you have any problems in doing that please PM me and I can fix it on your behalf.

And I see there's been some discussion about your Darrin over on the AACA Site. For others edification here's a link to the discussion there, starts from Post #679. Must admit I missed the front clip modification being a '40, especially since I own a '41! One thing I did notice is that you're in Alaska while the car is in Washington. Any plans to take it north? If you did, it would be the only Darrin there for sure!

Posted on: 2011/6/11 2:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

1938darrinpackard
See User information
Thanks for the information. I'm not planning to bring the Darrin to Alaska - it needs to be out on the road doing Packard tours and we don't have that many roads that go anywhere. However we definitely have classic car enthusiasts in Alaska - there is an antique car museum in Fairbanks called Fountainhead. Re the clip year...it's interesting how customized the custom cars are. Last night I went through Dad's file of letters he received from car guys (Rudy Stoessel, Charles Blackman) describing his car. Planning to make a spreadsheet to put the comments side-by-side to see if they match. Charles Blackman thought (based on a photo I believe - don't think they met) it had a 38-39 bumper, a 38-39 headlight, short rear fenders standard on 38-40 Packards, 38-39 hood side trim modified, hub cap design appearing to be '38. Mr. Blackman doesn't mention the front clip but his letter appears to be in response to one from my father asking about the clip as he mentions other Darrins where the body and the clip are from different years.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 17:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ozstatman wrote:.....I'll be guided by the more knowledgeable and experienced here concerning how your '38 Darrin should be identified. I'm open to suggestions, so people please advise any thoughts as the best way to identify this Packard.......

While waiting for responses to my HELP request, I've done a little research. Research was going to "The Kimes Book", an attribution some dislike but nevertheless recognisable by those with more than a passing interest in Packards so that's the identifier I use. There I found a pair of pic's of Darrins, reproduced below, both of which have captions along the lines of 194X Model 1XOX Super 8 One-Eighty Convertible X_____X by Darrin. Unless someone can come up with something more authoritative, and mindful of the Registry format here, I propose to use 1199 - Eight Convertible Victoria By Darrin.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.49 KB)
226_4df44c866bb93.jpg 912X437 px

jpg  (41.13 KB)
226_4df44c965aee3.jpg 912X435 px

Posted on: 2011/6/12 0:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
and to Patty, for including her(?) '49 Super Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2011/6/12 2:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill
See User information
Sorry for the confusion. It was me that add that and I miss quoted to what I have. Like I said I am New to this . Soory I will edit straight away.

Posted on: 2011/6/12 9:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Bill,
Don't be sorry, my normal state is confusion. It's part of the world I live in! And for the correction!

EDIT - Have now realised where "TRANSMISSION: Gearstart Ultramatic, 3 speed manual" comes from. They are examples, below the field being completed, to assist owners in filling in the blanks. Something about me not seeing the forest for the trees?

Posted on: 2011/6/12 21:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

1938darrinpackard
See User information
Thank you for doing that research - the model suggested makes sense to me. I changed it in the registry but the whole phrase would not fit so I shortened Convertible to Conv - it now reads: Eight Conv Victoria by Darrin. Does that work? Thanks again.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 1:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
1938darrinpackard wrote:.....it now reads: Eight Conv Victoria by Darrin. Does that work? Thanks again.
Gail,
, works for me!

Posted on: 2011/6/13 1:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 108 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved