Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 231

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25) 26 27 28 ... 31 »

Re: ZIS 110
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I know the WDO off my '48 looks nearly identical to that carb there.

The Carter WDO was the model for the Russian carb so of course they are very similar.

Posted on: 2009/12/18 20:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
The Carter WDO was the model for the Russian carb so of course they are very similar.

Thanks for pointing out my ignorance of Russian carbs.

Posted on: 2009/12/18 20:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gerd, I don't think you have to worry too much about it. You may recall I noted the similarity of the WDO with the Russian version last summer after my visit to Johan Berg's ZIS in Stockholm. I compared them briefly side-by-side, they are so similar I suspect most internal parts will interchange.

Posted on: 2009/12/18 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
For your curiosity here is the Toronto Trabbi guy's website.

http://www.trabant.ca/

Last July he told me he had seven of them. I believe it is a spare time activity or hobby.

There must be lots of them left in Germany. From what you say, prices have gone up since the 90s. How expensive are they?

Posted on: 2009/12/18 23:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It's a car you don't see here, so guess that might explain why someone would ask an outrageous price and possibly get it.

Read the wikipediahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant entry and was mildly amused. Didn't know they had a 4 stroke VW engine at the end so those might be an interesting add to a collection but the two strokes sound like a real pain to have--and a 15 year wait for it as well. Dumb question: the wikipedia says you filled the tank with fuel and added the 2 stroke oil then shook to mix. Did the tank come out to shake, did you shake the car or did driving down the road shake it? Probably I missed something but sounds amusing any way you do it.

I seem to recall reading they could not be registered over here due to lack of safety items and the two stroke engine's pollution or am I in error. I may be because do remember some Isettas or BMWs or some such which were equally as small and lacking safety but don't know about the 2 stroke.

Posted on: 2009/12/19 12:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Having owned and driven a 2 stroke 3 cyl SAAB (RIP ) model 96 over 35 years ago, which was light years ahead of a Trabbi, I can't imagine how slow that thing would be.. The 96 was out of breath at 65mph on the highway! Good as a curiousity, I guess.

Posted on: 2009/12/19 14:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
"...most people who own or have owned a Trabant swear by them..."
Gerd,

Maybe that quote of Rusty's should be "swear at them"?

Posted on: 2009/12/19 14:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Guscha said "In East Germany we had several million two stroke cars and motorcycles ..."

When were the 2 strokes made illegal in Germany or what time frame were they just phased out???

Posted on: 2009/12/19 15:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Cool 96 convert!!
There's one in Pennsylvania as well.

When I was a kid in Baltimore in the 50s, a neighbor had a yellow DKW 2 stroke car, I think it was a 3 cylinder 2 stroke, like the SAAB 93 and 96. DKW was a predecessor or part of Audi I believe, it even had the rings on the grille. Weird looking car, and it smoked a lot, worse than a SAAB. We still have 5 SAABS in the family... boo hoo SAAB RIP

Posted on: 2009/12/20 16:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gerd, here the Wanderer is probably the least-known of the four. Here's a picture of one from the Greenwich CT Concours a few years ago.

Attach file:

jpg  (111.07 KB)
177_4b2eb28b7cd06.jpg 933X645 px

Posted on: 2009/12/20 18:26
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25) 26 27 28 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved