Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 234

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 25 26 27 (28) 29 30 31 ... 145 »

Re: BigKev's 1937 115-C Convertible Coupe
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Oh yes, the brakes are bone stock.

I have a full replacement kit from Kanter that is ready to be dropped in. I need to replace all the lines as they are crusty.

Posted on: 2023/1/6 7:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Kev,

1. When my youngest son's '61 Jag 3.8 sedan was removed from the barn, it had an aftermarket electric fuel pump mounted on the left side of the trunk interior. It pumped continuously like the one on my Packard. But it pounded like a big drum using the fender wall to resonate. Drove me nuts. I found the original fuel pump in a box and rebuilt it. It pumps to the point of sufficient pressure and stops. About 5 times and quits, then every once in a while as it uses fuel. I did a blog on JaguarForums while James was at Yale.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/mki-mkii-s-type-240-340-daimler-61/1961-mk2-3-8-sedan-project-80737/

2. Jaguar documentation is exceptional. And parts ordering as well, both with exploded, detailed illustrations you can click on to order a part. The steps to repairing anything are detailed and never assume the user is a trained Jaguar mechanic with 20 years of experience.

The latter is a little gripe of mine re Packard service instructions and parts identification. Like Jaguar, Packard sold cars internationally where no dealers existed, but Jaguar gave the local mogul's man the info to fix the car without training. It's because I'm stupid about mechanical things, too, I admit, but working on the Jag was like heaven compared to working on the Duchess, for me.

Posted on: 2023/1/6 12:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I must agree on the literature. You mention Jaguar as good. I have some Rolls Royce and GM product books, some Ford and also some Studebaker which are also fairly good. By no means have I seen all makes of documentation so cannot say if any are worse than Packard but Packard service literature did leave a whole lot to be desired in supplying detailed information.

Prewar both parts and service info is really bad and not until the 51 models did they have anything much better. The 51 service manual did at least raise the bar off the floor but still nowhere near detailed for any but experienced mechanics. I read in one of the Packard articles they only upped the game because so many old guys were gone and younger guys were coming on board after the war and had no clue about how Packard did things. Even with better factory manuals, some of the Chilton and Motors manuals did even more in detailing how something Packard used actually worked or how to disassemble and repair it.

Posted on: 2023/1/6 13:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The Jag documentation is fairly good. Currently going through the SU Carbs documentation which is also good and the company is still in business as they were the carbs of choice for pretty much anything British and also Volvo.

The biggest issue I've had is figuring out what parts are from what. The engine is from a 62 Mark II. The carbs are from a 56/57 Mk. VII. Also, the Jag Mark/Mk. Number is confusing as they got to Mk X then like started over at Mk. I. So it's gets a bit convoluted.

Posted on: 2023/1/6 15:07
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
New spark plug wire set has arrived. The current set was in poor shape. These wires have screw in ends on the cap side, so are really not over the counter items.

Also, ordered the carb rebuild kits from SU in the UK. I gave them the particulars of the carbs and the engine specs and they recommended the correct kits and needle specs. These carbs were originally on a 3.4L motor, and now on a 3.8L motor, so a richer needle set was needed.

I think I finally got a hold on on how these carbs work.

Posted on: 2023/1/7 9:36
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Progress Kev. Aside from odd looking carbs, any idea if there is much of Lucas, Prince of Darkness remaining in that engine. If there is a lot it might be interesting to see how well he will play with others.😀

Posted on: 2023/1/7 10:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Only the Distro is Lucas (I belive) at this point. Perhaps also the starter.

Posted on: 2023/1/7 10:52
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kev, et. al. - I believe the bad rap Lucas electrics get is due to the damp weather in the UK not the quality of the product. But, just an opinion having never owning a car equipped with Lucas equipment. The SU carbs will work well once you get them sorted out.

I have a Lokar (sp.?) brand accelerator pedal on my 32 Ford hot rod. It fastens to the cowl wall and the bell crank to operate the cable is inside the car. Nothing on the engine side of the wall that needs any room to operate. Not Packard stock looking, but that bridge has already been crossed. Just a suggestion.

Posted on: 2023/1/7 14:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I was also looking at some of the cable type street rod pedals at a few of those sites and wondered if it would be possible to swap or modify the cast pedal assy on one of the assys to use the stock pedal pad to disguise or cover the casting.

Posted on: 2023/1/7 15:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, my pedal is the spoon style hinged on the bracket which fastens it to the cowl wall. It pivots on the bracket with an arm extending on the opposite side to create a bell crank action. I suppose a stock type pedal could be made to work the spoon pedal. A little ingenious thinking and effort should do the job.

Posted on: 2023/1/8 13:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 25 26 27 (28) 29 30 31 ... 145 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved