Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: Old gas tank 54 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Whistle was discontinued in 51 and the vent tube itself is fairly large to be blocked. It feeds into the fill tube so the gas cap could certainly be an issue if it was replaced with a non vented cap. Easy way to eliminate the cap and any lack of air as a problem is remove cap and run the car to see if same symptom develops.

Posted on: 2012/9/26 14:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Just finished trying the Clipper with the gas cap removed.
Is it possible to access the pickup tube with something to raise it maybe 1/2 inch(from the level access). I know it would change the low level for picking up gas, but it could be a time saver. Just throwing out ideas while I ponder removing the gas tank again!

Posted on: 2012/9/26 15:24
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you're tank needs to be cleaned out, then do it. Otherwise you will just be chasing phantoms until you do. Also if someone cleaned out your tank, but didn't properly seal it, it will re-rerust pretty quickly.

Posted on: 2012/9/26 15:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I know what you mean, I was disappoint that the Clipper was so close to being able to drive more than a few blocks and now it will be two steps back. I will pull the tank and take it back to the Vendor to check it out. He is a very reputable guy and should take care of any problem. It would be great if someone adapted new tanks to fit. It would be worth $250 to $300 to have a new tank to start with. I saw in one of the threads a person was looking into doing that , but no updates for quite a while.

Posted on: 2012/9/26 18:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I saw in one of the threads a person was looking into doing that , but no updates for quite a while.

It has been awhile. I don't hold out much hope for the Chevy tank approach mentioned on one thread because of all the mods needed. As they were described, even if it turns out easily doable expect the modified look or knowing something was modified would turn many away.

Since the same tank would work for 51-6 cars, there was also a mention that one of the vendors was considering a proper repro item might now be feasible but that has been pretty quiet as well.

Posted on: 2012/9/26 18:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Removed the tank , redid the flare fitting to the tank checked inside and saw no residue, blew compressed air into the tube, but I couldn't tell if it was restricted. Next I will try a wire. Could some of the new coating be in the tube? Next removal will go back to the vendor, I'm getting very good at removal and installation now!

Posted on: 2012/9/30 15:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Tube was plugged, I couldn't get a length of stainless wire more than a couple of inches into the pickup tube. Took it back to the vendor and he will reclean and fix the problem.
Hope to have a drive around next week before I get ready to store it for the winter. We will try to leave enough room to work on the window channels and prep for installing the door panels. Money gets tight when you keep stepping back to get things done correctly. New glass, new window channels, new weather stripping, new door panels...... It is difficult to not get in a hurry. It just makes harder work later. Like the radiator job I did all the work and forgot to paint the water pump and parts of the engine while all the items were removed.

Posted on: 2012/10/4 15:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Tank is not clogged any more, but the fuel pump had about one ounce of rust in the bowl. I cleaned it up, but now need two gaskets to reinstall. I wasn't going to rebuild the pump completely. It is an AC pump, is there a cross reference for a replacement? I have attached a couple of pictures. Do I need to buy a rebuild kit to get the gaskets? Also am I missing a part where the mesh is showing from I assume the exhaust.

Attach file:

jpg  (63.49 KB)
3889_507c66e0bdb84.jpg 1280X720 px

jpg  (70.11 KB)
3889_507c66f7bd161.jpg 1280X720 px

jpg  (63.81 KB)
3889_507c67179ceea.jpg 1280X720 px

jpg  (59.74 KB)
3889_507c673075dfc.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2012/10/15 14:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Normally one doesn't replace fuel pumps, they rebuild them by replacing the worn parts. It looks like the right pump and they are a superb unit, properly rebuilt it should last tens and tens of thousands of miles.

If it hasn't been rebuilt since the advent of current gasoline formulas with ethanol, or if you don't know, start by installing a rebuild kit or have it rebuilt by Gould or Terrill or Now-and-Then or someone else with a good reputation for that kind of work. If you just need the cork gasket for the sediment bowl, just buy a sheet of cork at the auto parts store and make one.

The horsehair is just a breather, you're not missing anything there.

Posted on: 2012/10/15 15:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks for the help (:

Posted on: 2012/10/15 15:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved