Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 232

Packard Don, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 13 »

Re: Synchros?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All Packard 3-speed transmissions had synchro on 2nd and 3rd speeds beginning in 1932. For a very short time in 1932, on the Custom and DeLuxe Eights only, they used a 4-speed with synchro on the top 2 gears; the new 3-speed synchro was introduced first on the Light Eight and the Twin Six. Prior to 1932 all Packafd transmissions were non-synchro, both the 3- and 4-speed units, as was the rest of the industry except Cadillac who introduced synchro in 1930 or perhaps 1931?

Packard built their own transmissions thru 1954 and used a Warner Gear unit in 55 and 56.

Posted on: 2012/9/29 8:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
All Packard 3-speed transmissions had synchro on 2nd and 3rd speeds beginning in 1932. For a very short time in 1932, on the Custom and DeLuxe Eights only, they used a 4-speed with synchro on the top 2 gears; the new 3-speed synchro was introduced first on the Light Eight and the Twin Six. Prior to 1932 all Packafd transmissions were non-synchro, both the 3- and 4-speed units, as was the rest of the industry except Cadillac who introduced synchro in 1930 or perhaps 1931?

Packard built their own transmissions thru 1954 and used a Warner Gear unit in 55 and 56.

Was the first "on-the-tree" in '51 with the new Packard design, or did that happen in the previous incarnation of '49-51? I'm betting on it being used on all postwars, as the industry changed or maybe earlier?

Anyway, the "Warner Gear" I'm wondering if it was also supplied to Ford or whether they just made them compatible. And is that "Warner" as in "Borg-Warner" or was Warner Gear a different outfit, not yet accompanied by Borg?

Finally, what year was the Overdirive unit introduced, and was it standard on any Packard manual transmission cars?

Lots of questions, I know, but OD and others probably know such things. The answers might also help out others with manual transmissions or looking for cars with overdrive.

Posted on: 2012/9/29 13:42
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard first offered column-shift in 1939 as an option and it was a popular option and quite inexpensive except for the Twelve where if memory serves it was very expensive, in the range of $250 or so. This was due to the very different nature of the Twelve transmission which essentially dated to 1932 whereas by 1939 all the other cars had more modern and much simplier transmissions that were much more adaptable to the column conversion.

I believe the Warner trans was a T-85 but can't help you with whether Warner Gear, Borg Warner, etc. The T-85 was a very rugged transmission used by several other makes, including AMC on the V8s. I'm sure others will have more information,.

Someone will promptly correct me if my memory is wrong but I think Packard's first offering of overdrive was 1939.

Posted on: 2012/9/29 13:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
A major question about the T-85 for 1955-56 then would be if it accomodates an overdrive conversion, or were the all overdrive in those years? Also, could one convert a non-od on the straight eight cars to od?

Posted on: 2012/9/29 17:01
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Overdrive in 55/56 was available as an option on those models which were available with standard transmission.

Sure, you can add OD to any model for which it was available as an option, just a matter of sourcing all the mechanical and electrical components, though it's not what I would call a simple task. And you can add an OD even for those that were not factory available with it though a lot more work may be required. For example, adding a Mitchell OD on the early 30s senior cars takes considerable modification and runs $6000 or more.

Posted on: 2012/9/29 18:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Successful Packard Hunt
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Also that crosses to Napa BK 7031697, which is the same cap for the 55-56 models.

Reach refers to the distance between the liquid top seal and the pressure bottom seal which goes inside the neck. Long reach in our case is 1" thru 54. I believe Napa's information is wrong and they do not use the same cap in 55-6 -- unless theirs is a special long reach cap and the spring can compress and allow the lower seal to move enough to accommodate the shorter 55-6 neck. The long reach in the photo cannot.

Here's an illustration with apologies for the washed out ruler. Top cap is off the 56 and is standard 3/4". Bottom cap is the long reach and is 1"

Well, my mechanic, who is a knowledgeable old-cars guy and knows how to source parts, said that the NAPA cap is NOT a crossover. He could not find a long-neck type yet. I told him I'd look again at NAPA with the photo from this previous post and the PNs. They might find something or be able to order it if I stand there and wait!

Otherwise, I'm open for suggestions on sources for the 13# long neck radiator cap. I can't help but think this has been or is an issue for others with mysterious cooling problems.

Posted on: 2012/10/1 13:25
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Best source I'm aware of for a variety of AC-type radiator caps is below, these are very excellent quality Chinese-made replicas, there are MANY Packard folks who have them and are very pleased with them, including myself. You'll have to inquire about the reach, 908-369-3666, ask for Jeff.

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=radiator+cap&x=35&y=11

Posted on: 2012/10/1 15:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And here is another one but I'd contact them to verify the specs on their offerings as well. They also seem to mix the earlier and later.http://www.oldcarstuff.com/radcap.html

A quick look and it actually may be part of the same company O_D mentions.

Posted on: 2012/10/1 15:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
You'll have to inquire about the reach,

Did not know they were "AC type" which is useful, but "THE REACH" is the most important thing of all. As far as I can tell ALL Packards have the long readh or long neck type in order to seat correctlly against the bottom of the filler neck.

Remember these are oldpackardparts not oldbuickparts.

There IS a cap available from NAPA with the correct reach, but it is only the 7# pressure type, not the 13#.

Since the postwar straight eights prior to '54 all take the 7# cap, I figure if it fits on mine it is a safe bet:

NAPA PN # 7031411

I have ordered one for pickup tomorrow and will keep you posted on how it works out.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/10/1 20:14
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Packard first offered column-shift in 1939 as an option and it was a popular option and quite inexpensive except for the Twelve where if memory serves it was very expensive, in the range of $250 or so. This was due to the very different nature of the Twelve transmission which essentially dated to 1932 whereas by 1939 all the other cars had more modern and much simplier transmissions that were much more adaptable to the column conversion...

Someone will promptly correct me if my memory is wrong but I think Packard's first offering of overdrive was 1939.

O_D, Not to doubt your statement, but I always thought the column shift was standard and not an option. However, I came to this opinion through observation, not a study of parts manuals. I have never seen a '39 that did not have a column shifted transmission. Maybe the exceptions were the cars with the floor (cane) shift). I am aware of (and have driven) a '39 Twelve Formal Sedan with the column shift. Need to look at that mechanism next time I visit this motor car.

I am with you on the '39 being the first year Packard offered the overdrive option (R-7?).

(o[]o)

Question: Has anyone ever seen a '39 Packard (Senior or Junior) with a floor (cane) shifter that was fitted as original equipment?

Posted on: 2012/10/3 12:26
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 13 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved