Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
251 user(s) are online (170 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 247

curpack, BigKev, Don B, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: Oil filter decal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Good call on the shop manual Ross. The black and white picture shows the contrast perfectly. Doesn't explain the black ones though. The ones in the pictures I posted sure don't look touched up to me. Perhaps the black was some kind of primer? I don't see how the gray would come completely off though, leaving only the black.

As far as the filter decal, I have been looking all over the internet for original engine pictures (part of what brought up my questions about the filler neck color) and I haven't found any. Consulted the 51-54 manual that has an accessory section, but it only shows an outline drawing of the system. The 1950 shop manual does not even have a section for accessories, unless the scanned version on this site is just missing it.

I wish more people would take pictures of their original engine compartments for restoration purposes. Seems like all I can find are pictures of restored engines.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 8:47
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just some food for though on the fill tubes.....

The Judging Guide has an interesting note the Road Draft tubes. They were painted engine color from the factory. But replacement tubes came in only black. Perhaps the oil fill tubes were the same and came from the supplier in black, and after being installed on the motor at the factory, the entire motor was then painted.

I guess the only way to test this theory is if we find someone with an original painted tube, and scrape away some of the paint to see if there is a black layer underneath.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 13:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In the training book "Know the 24th Series", it appears Packard was ashamed of the engine drivers side as most shots are of the exhaust manifold view but on pg 38 there is one excellent picture of left side of engine. The oil filter has no label in sight, tubes are natural steel and fill pipe is gray.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 13:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
I was cleaning up and photographing the Derham today after I saw this thread earlier today

I will post some photographs of the filler tube later tonight if anyone would like to see them. The oil filler tube on the 53 Derham, a 327 Thunderbolt, is black, what's left of the engine paint is gray. I touched the oil filter bucket where the label is and it disintegrated. The outline of where it was should help.

If anyone needs photographs of the engine compartment let me know what you want.This car is original.I do not have a macro lens form my dSLR, closeups would have to be shot with my film Nikon and will need a bit of turn around time for processing and scanning/ converting through Photoshop.

O_D, you wanted interior images?

Posted on: 2010/4/14 16:26
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Here is a shot of a 16,000 mile 52 club sedan. No one has been in here to mess about.

Attach file:

jpg  (101.96 KB)
618_4bc674e796bac.jpg 1125X919 px

Posted on: 2010/4/14 21:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ross,

Great picture. If you notice the '52s (and prior) did not use spark plug boots. This is noted in the PI Guide.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 0:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Quote:

Stephen wrote:

If anyone needs photographs of the engine compartment let me know what you want.This car is original.I do not have a macro lens form my dSLR, closeups would have to be shot with my film Nikon and will need a bit of turn around time for processing and scanning/ converting through Photoshop.

Stephen and Ross,

I think it is awesome that you have unmolested original engine compartments. I encourage both of you to take as many photos as you can and post them here. It will be rewarding for you to see the progress you make on your cars, as well as a valuable resource for future members.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 7:28
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
O_D, you wanted interior images?

Yes, when convenient. Put them here with whatever other ones you are going to post and I'll pick and choose between them.

PS - for what it's worth, friend Kenn who has an extremely original 54 Cavalier which Kev has seen in person, has a gray oil filler tube.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 8:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
This is real time processing, and not subject to any critical thought; but, what do posters think about having a photo section devoted to original, unrestored, unmolested, not screwed with, etc. views? As time passes less will be available with which to compare for restoration and verification. Of course this would require more effort on Kevin and others to establish and maintain a new section. I think it could have real value.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/4/15 10:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I think an original engine section would be very beneficial...

[quote]
BigKev wrote:
Just some food for though on the fill tubes.....

The Judging Guide has an interesting note the Road Draft tubes. They were painted engine color from the factory. But replacement tubes came in only black. Perhaps the oil fill tubes were the same and came from the supplier in black, and after being installed on the motor at the factory, the entire motor was then painted.

I guess the only way to test this theory is if we find someone with an original painted tube, and scrape away some of the paint to see if there is a black layer underneath.quote]

Maybe if someone has an original tube, they could remove it and see if the end that goes in the engine is black. The pic I posted seems to show the black covers the whole unit. That would support the supplier sent them in black theory. I don't know how hard they are to take out though.

Posted on: 2010/4/19 7:35
[url=h
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved