Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
271 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 267

chevyboy, 37Blanche, Alvin14, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Packard in the New York Times
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'd like to know what he does about all of the steam getting past the piston rings and ruining the engine oil. Change oil every 500 miles or so???? That would make it almost as bad as nitro for maintenance

Posted on: 2011/4/29 15:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe use all of those left over fuel rods from the Japanese nuclear plant to boil the water.

Good idea -- some kind of use needs to be found for em.

Can't speak for uranium waste but back in the old days of 30 years ago when Cobalt60 radiation therapy units were common, the source was a cylinder about the size of a pea and the lead shielding was around 8 inches thick surrounding it. You'd have to sacrifice quite a bit of efficiency for the added weight of the lead shielding around the power source plus need to wear some lead skivvies for good measure. That would put a crimp in the mileage and the comfort level would be the pits. Lead chafes.

Of course, disposal and left overs still might be an issue. You may remember an instance several years ago when some scrap dealer shipped a load of scrap metal to Mexico. Turned out there was an improperly decommissioned and disposed of medical unit along with the scrap and some company down there made steel plate out of it. Any number of radioactive products shipped all over the place. And then of course, there's always the shadetree mechanic who thinks he could make it run better without all that weight and drives down the street giving everyone a sunburn.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 15:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Quote:

hardtop wrote:
Rusty I don't think the worlds oil reserves are empty(multiplied studies have proofed the opposite), its not about that and has never been about oil shortage. Read Lindsey Williams book: The energy Non-crisis.
And 5 USD a gallon? Well that is only going to be the start I belive.

The world is not running out of oil. The world is running out of cheap oil. The days when you could drill an oil well 200 feet deep at Titusville, Petrolia or Baku and hit a gusher, are long gone.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 18:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
I'd like to know what he does about all of the steam getting past the piston rings and ruining the engine oil. Change oil every 500 miles or so???? That would make it almost as bad as nitro for maintenance

Stanley Steamer engines were lubricated like a 2 stroke only instead of mixing oil in the gas they fed a few drops of steam cylinder oil into the steam.

This did not cause a problem until they installed condensers to recycle the steam. The oil tended to gum up the condenser so they added an oil separator to take the oil out of the steam but it was not 100% effective.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 18:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
World's longest national highway - the Trans Canada Highway Victoria British Columbia to St. Johns Newfoundland 4990 miles.

World's longest street, Yonge Street Toronto Canada 1178 miles.

America's shortest interstate, I 535 2.78 miles.

Incidentally the speed limit on the 401 and other Canadian highways may be 100Km hr or 62.5MPH but you can drive 120 or 80MPH with no difficulty and practically no chance of getting a ticket. I do it all the time along with everyone else on the road.

The cops up here use tickets as a means of enforcing road safety not a revenue source. As long as traffic is flowing smoothly and you are not driving like a nut they leave you alone.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If they used the thorium process they could burn up all the old fuel rods and bomb waste in atomic reactors, making electricity and rendering the waste harmless, or nearly so.

There is enough nuclear waste laying around to generate all the electricity we need for the next 100 years and it can be done far safer than any atomic power plant presently in existence. Google Thorium reactor or thorium power if you do not believe me.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 18:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Don

Non condensing Stanleys get something like 10 mpg of kerosene, certainly not more than 12 mpg. One mpg for the water. There is a second fuel, white gas or hexane or naptha to keep the pilot lit. A lot of fuel is expended in getting steam up.

Whtie steamers had condensors and could get up to 100 miles before the water needed replenishment. I don't remember specifics about Dobles. but it was more.

There is a lot of heat loss moving steam and water around the system, it's not very efficient.

There are very good videos about steam cars on jaylenosgarage.com

Non condensing Stanleys require about 2 hours of mantainence for every day of use

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2011/4/29 21:14
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
What, you guys dont have one of these already?

Attach file:

jpg  (9.39 KB)
1_4dbb832b3927e.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2011/4/29 22:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Kevin, does it needs an electric cable to illuminate the nuclear fusion?

(Charles) Packard used a fast breeder reactor to reach transwarp speed. The below shown pic proves on how the teleportation truck breaks through the so-called SOL-8 barrier on the way to Fukushima.

[picture source: tomorrow's paperhttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/michael.walters3/garrett.htm]

Attach file:

jpg  (38.47 KB)
757_4dbbd82a8c397.jpg 600X410 px

Posted on: 2011/4/30 3:27
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
It's been interesting, starting out with a couple of newspaper articles on remaining pieces of Packard corporate real estate and ending up with the price of extracting crude oil.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind - I've taken enough posts of others off-track.

Dave, I am not as innocent as a newborn babe but in satisfaction of the hijacked thread I would like to show a way to return to Packard in the New York Times.

Click to see original Image in a new window

[picture source: www.wheels.blogs.nytimes.com]

Posted on: 2011/4/30 5:13
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved