Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 224

packardsix1939, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: No spark to coil
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Rotor for 53 AL does not appear in the X-ref. Be nice to have a number to ad to the x-ref.

We need to keep the x-ref growing. It is important for obtaining spare parts and many other uses.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 13:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Echlin (Napa) AL65

Posted on: 2011/8/9 13:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
I got the rotor from Oreilly its a BWD D 104 here is the pic. Looks just like the old one but the new one won't work. Now remember I have the autolight system in my 1953 patrician. Sorry the pic is blurry, here is the ad I found , the metal is even with the plastic. Maybe thats the problem from old to new. I will check. Nice catch cortcomp.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.16 KB)
3750_4e418b2b22060.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (13.85 KB)
3750_4e418db4a45fc.jpg 500X354 px

Posted on: 2011/8/9 14:33
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Does that metal contact not go out beyond the plastic edge? I thought the metal was supposed to stick out a bit.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 14:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
She fired off this morning on the 3rd try with some gas in the carb, feeding it thru the backside of fuel pump with a 5 gallon gas can. She smoked a little at first and then not so much, she ran for 7 minutes. I am now rebuilding the generator , the old brushes are not bad, inside looks dirty. Some good cleaning ,new brushes and some paint a new generator. The starter will be rebuilt when I get the brushes from MM. Gas tank will be dropped this week too for a good cleaning. Thanks for the electrical everyone.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 12:00
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Progress, at least. Sounds like it has been sitting for a time--any idea how long? Be careful on the gas tank if trying to remove the drain plug. If it hasn't been out for a long time, it may have rusted and the pressed in bung can be loosened if it isn't held with something while removing the plug.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 14:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
TO HH56

To be sure there are some wingnuts on every forum, but I expected more professionalism from you, the Forum Ambassador. Your comments about me are highly insulting and those and other points are incorrect. I think you should look before you leap.

I just looked to find your comment which I recall about "kill the spark" but for some reason I cannot find it.Did you change it ??
You have replied affirming you said it, and your reason for using it was that other phrases were too hard to spell?? Do not insult my intelligence please. So I should give you soem slack for using it, huh?? Please inform me and everyone else just what words, phrases nd suggestions we should ignore from you if we find them to be counter to solving the problem at hand??

Certain 6V Delco Packard straight 8's use rotor 439204 which incorporates a carbon resistor.

The rotor pictured here looks correct, and there is nothing that can be wrong with the solid piece of metal from the center to the end.

I meant no harm , my points were to help those now and in the future to diagnose/fix their cars. If you will note some of my posts, when I make a mistake whether pointed out to me or not, I post a correction and take full responsibility.

You want to pop me in the nose in public for your carelessness?? I now think you found out what happens. Suggestion, take responsibility for your actions. An apology is in order I believe.

I call 'em as I see 'em.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 15:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
It is highly likely that the new rotor was fine but the car wouldn;t start for some oher reason like lack of gas, flooding, loose wire etc etc. When the old rotor was put in maybe a wire was disturbed or the manifold dried out. Would ike to know now that it's running fine if it runs with the new rotor??

Happy Motoring

Posted on: 2011/8/10 15:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
I will put the new rotor in tomorrow and try it once I finish the with Generator rebuild.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 15:54
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

fred kanter wrote:
TO HH56

To be sure there are some wingnuts on every forum, but I expected more professionalism from you, the Forum Ambassador. Your comments about me are highly insulting and those and other points are incorrect. I think you should look before you leap.

I just looked to find your comment which I recall about "kill the spark" but for some reason I cannot find it.Did you change it ??
You have replied affirming you said it, and your reason for using it was that other phrases were too hard to spell?? Do not insult my intelligence please. So I should give you soem slack for using it, huh?? Please inform me and everyone else just what words, phrases nd suggestions we should ignore from you if we find them to be counter to solving the problem at hand??

Certain 6V Delco Packard straight 8's use rotor 439204 which incorporates a carbon resistor.

The rotor pictured here looks correct, and there is nothing that can be wrong with the solid piece of metal from the center to the end.

I meant no harm , my points were to help those now and in the future to diagnose/fix their cars. If you will note some of my posts, when I make a mistake whether pointed out to me or not, I post a correction and take full responsibility.

You want to pop me in the nose in public for your carelessness?? I now think you found out what happens. Suggestion, take responsibility for your actions. An apology is in order I believe.

I call 'em as I see 'em.

I did not delete anything--it is post 27 and I don't see where I insulted you but if you feel that I did, well I guess we disagree about something else but if you need an apology, I will offer one. I'll concede the resistor rotor but I'm not going to get into a pissing contest and will have no more to say about it so feel free to set whatever record straight you wish.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 15:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved