Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 241

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: Oil Filter Lines
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
****Bumping post based on conversation in other thread****

If you look back through this thread, you will see how I plumbed my lines, and how it was originally plumbed, and also how my filter has the words INLET and OUTLET stamped in the opposite places.

I guess the thing I am still curious about is the need for a restrictor in the filter feed.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 15:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Quote:

Owen Dyneto wrote (COPIED FROM OTHER THREAD):
The restriction is to maintain a high oil pressure for the hydraulic lifters by minimizing the flow to the filter and back to the crankcase. Many folks leave this out when they replumb the system (for God knows what reasons) and ultimately face the consequences if they keep the car. Also, some folks when installing a filter on a car that didn't have one remove the pigtail from the lower to the upper galley and instead put the filter return there, assuming that the filter flow will suffice. Bad idea for two reasons, (1) the restrictor, and (2) if the filter plugs, you loose oil to the lifters.

The 356 engine is perhaps Packards best since the Twelve. I've owned a couple and have serviced several others. Lovely engine.

So what do you think the long term damage would be on my 327 (Non-Hydraulic lifters) if it was plumbed non-By-Pass with the restrictor in place? My lifters looked good when I inspected them, and none of them were stuck.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 15:56
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't think I'd be concerned. The pre-1938 120 engine wasn't pressure oiled to the (mechanical) lifters and didn't experience any undue problems that I'm aware of.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 16:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
O.K. I'm way late in jumping in here. But, I thought you might like to see what Packard had to say about the filters. This is a page copied from the 22nd/23rd series Service Counselor.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.42 KB)
462_48a217953170e.jpg 800X564 px

Posted on: 2008/8/12 18:08
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
To add a bit more confusion, here is the 51 instructions--and the little pigtail tube is back.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.48 KB)
209_48a22221a1318.jpg 387X800 px

Posted on: 2008/8/12 18:52
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Very interesting, it appears that prior to 1951, the documentation has the filter in a Non-By-Pass configuration. And then 1951 comes along a they are calling for a By-Pass config. I wonder if there was an issue with the filters getting clogged and starving the lifters, or perhaps this was required to gurantee oil to engines with Hydraulic lifters.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 20:52
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Interesting that neither set of instructions talk about a restrictor. I would have imagined the second set would have.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 20:56
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Looks like the Service Counselor addressed all the non-hydraulic lifter engines of the time; Six, Eight, Super Eight but not the Custom Eight. That would make sense since the Custom Eight had Hydraulic lifters and came with the filter installed at the factory with the pigtail as shown in the diagram at the very top of this thread. I still feel that the cannisters I've seen all have the oil restriction built in based on that dinky little hole in the input or output (depending on which Packard illustration you use) tube that runs up the middle of the cannister.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 21:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi you guys are stressing me out about this oil line thing now!

The first picture is how I bought the car - no way to know if that is correct. I duplicated this on the new setup.

The 3rd photo shows the oil filter can with the word "outlet" on the bottom.

So guys - I need confirmation that my setup is wrong or right?

Is my outlet going to the correct outlet on the block?

Where is the Guru's? Obviously I do not want to run the car and risk it being damaged by this story!

Attach file:

jpg  (61.31 KB)
484_48a284ab6680c.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (40.07 KB)
484_48a284c99efb7.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (31.40 KB)
484_48a284eaeb06f.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/8/13 1:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
On my 327 9 main, the top fitting on the oil filter is the inlet, and the bottom fitting is the outlet. The outlet goes into a fitting in the lower part of the block, right behind the 3rd oil pan bolt hole in the block. it's that low. The "T" fitting has one line running to the port above the "T" fitting, and to the rear of the distributor, and another line running to the top fitting on the oil filter. This is the way EVERY "late-model" Packard straight eight has been that I've seen:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2008/8/13 2:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved