Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Old gas tank 54 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Well, not so good this weekend. Installed the rebuilt fuel pump and hooked up the cleaned gas tank. Installed a new fuel filter, checked and cleaned the screen in the carb(was not clogged). Car still would start and starved for gas! Hooked up the fuel pump to a gas can and still the engine starved. Unhooked the fuel pump's carb supply line and I am getting little or no fuel. Gould rebuilt the pump so I pretty confident that the pump is okay.

What am I missing????

I am looking at starting all over on the tank, fuel lines, pump and carb. The car ran fine on a gas can before I did any of the repairs to the tank, fuel line, and fuel pump. I don't believe I could have installed the fuel pump incorrectly as it did pump, but now I am not so sure with the fuel line in a tank and the outlet in a jug.

Posted on: 2012/10/30 9:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Have you tried hooking up a gravity feed fuel supply or an electric fuel pump to eliminate possible carb or engine problems?
Just a thought.......

Posted on: 2012/10/30 10:47
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also disconnect the fuel line at the carb, attach a hose, and run the other end into a gas can or bucket and crank the motor over. If you are not getting fuel pumped, then you know you have either a clogged line, filter or pickup, or a bad pump. If you do get a steady pulsing stream of fuel, then the problem is in the carb.

Posted on: 2012/10/30 10:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
^Assuming there are no ignition or other issues.

Posted on: 2012/10/30 10:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd verify two things. When they cleaned the tank did they make sure there are no pinholes in the fuel pipe in tank. Either the loop at the top of the bend where the vertical pickup transitions to flat or where fuel pipe comes up to exit. If there is a hole, anything less than about half a tank is subject to sucking air. It's a steel tube and rust holes have been reported more than once.

The second area to look is the flex hose connecting the pump to steel line. I have personally had issues there. The tube was flexible, looked good but the lining had deteriorated and choked the flow. I think you said yours was new but is it of proper hose not affected by the alcohol.

Posted on: 2012/10/30 10:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I will check all around on the tubing into and out of the fuel pump. I had thought about the pin holes in the pick up tube, so I changed the pickup to the drain plug. I did check for any residue when I removed the plug(still a little gas in the tank) and found no rust so I ran the line to the drain. Did not help.
I will set up a small tank again to verify the pump, I can't see how it would be the problem, but that should check it with no obstructions on either end, including the fuel filter.
As the screen to the carb did not have any rust or reside in it I think the carb is okay.
Thanks for the tips, what appeared to be a straightforward replace old parts with new parts has become a mess.

Posted on: 2012/10/30 13:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Hooked up the fuel pump with no filter and into a gallon gas can. Pump appeared to pump well, but I wasn't set up to see if it was doing 1 1/2 pints in 45 seconds. Hooked up the outlet to the carb, car was hard to start. It ran ,but was not sounding good. At a higher RPM the engine ran for a few minutes and stalled for gas and shut down. Checked the carb filter and it was still clean. I will set up to calibrate the pump Wednesday.
Should there be pressure on the line to the carb with the engine off ? As I removed the fuel line(rubber)it appeared to have some pressure in the line.

Posted on: 2012/10/30 17:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Should there be pressure on the line to the carb with the engine off ? As I removed the fuel line(rubber)it appeared to have some pressure in the line.

Possibly. The pressure out of pump is developed by the heavy diaphragm spring. If the carb bowl was full and float stopped any flow while the spring was compressed, it could have pushed some out when spring relaxed as you opened the line.

Posted on: 2012/10/30 17:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks for the answer. It is really different doing a car at this time in life. Previously I would stop and say it is just to much trouble to finish then sell the car and move on. Now it is somewhat refreshing to keep on the task, knowing that I will find the problem with help at Packard info and succeed on getting the car road worthy!

Posted on: 2012/10/30 20:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
The pump works fine, the screen is clean going into the carb. Next step????

The engine still stalls for gas. Rebuild the carb? Check out metering parts, check out float ?????

Is it possible to that the vacuum hook up to the carb would effect the operation?

Posted on: 2012/10/31 12:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved