Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 223

R H, Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: straight 8 engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are a few listed on ebay -- not necessarily listed for Packard but the radio suppression capacitors should be fairly interchangeable.

I would try for the newer ones even though they may cost a bit more. As mentioned, old capacitors dry out and may change their specs or could have had a rough life and not be much better than your existing.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Vintage-Car-Truck-Parts-/10073/i.html?_nkw=radio+noise&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m282

Posted on: 2012/11/14 21:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

custom8
See User information
RADIO-TACH: continuing saga; I made necessary adjustment to the tach as described by Westach...I purchased a generator suppressor/condenser/capacitor from NAPA (an RC-1)..I decided I wouldn't attach as I wanted to see how the radio would work without the fixture...car wouldn't start !!! fan belt turned but made strange tuneful noise..everything looked right, I went over all aspects of what I had done but couldn't find anything wrong...I attached suppressor in case that was a problem ( I felt it couldn't be)...tried to start but same results...I'm getting smart now, I called the wife down and had her look at the GEN pulley(I put a piece of white tape on it)to see if it turned...tried again,fan moves as usual but pulley not turning on GEN...Motors manual re: polarization..followed directions, got small spark at "A" post....tried to start again, same results...All I had done to the GEN was remove the original suppressor at "A" post and mounting screw with the Battery cable (-) unhitched..I was carefull not to jiggle the "A" post (2 nuts) and never touched the "F" post..all wires back to the same position..I will next loosen the belt and see if I can turn pulley by hand but I've run out of time....Dick

Posted on: 2012/11/16 13:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Unscrew the suppressor mounting screw a few turns and I'll bet she'll spin like she should. It has gone in too far and jammed into the armature.

Posted on: 2012/11/16 18:28
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

custom8
See User information
ROSS: could it be that I tightened the screw too much...seems simplistic, but maybe so...I did take the GEN out of the car and surprise-the pulley wouldn't turn !!! why is that? I just turned the screw out to see if the pulley would rotate..It did not, its only a 3/8ths screw..My son just bought a 41 Packard Clipper today and we hauled about a ton of parts and I asked the seller about my problem and he feels that when I put the suppressor wire on the armature post, I must have tightened it too mush and broke the insulator or turned the post and broke some contact..that could be but how do you figure the pulley won't turn??? By the way the 41 Packard is beautiful, a former show winner and always maintained...I've known the car for 40 yrs...I love this hobby, warts and all...Dick PS: I hope I'm not breaking some rules of etiquette with my verbosity, I've just had a good day...Let me know

Posted on: 2012/11/17 20:16
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

custom8
See User information
ROSS-HH56 & all: It gets worse...I removed the GEN and pulley wouldn't rotate !!! couldn't force it..Brought it to auto electric service I've been using for some time...they replaced armature and bushings etc..and alls well but they told me the Voltage Regulator should be checked because they felt that was the problem...I told them that I had been driving the car the day before (checking the tach meter) and had no problems...I did not tell them about installing the new capacitor (radio suppressor) to the "A" post nor did I mention that I ran a wire to make sure the polarity was right (that had been in the back of my mind for whatever reason) I got the expected spark..then when I tried to start the car, the GEN wouldn't turn...all my problems because I wanted better radio performance and tach readings....I brought the V/R that had been in the car for my 5yrs of ownership along with two other V/R for checking...all showed overcharging !! how could that be, what are the odds ? could they have put a wrong armature or could something else be wrong ? Did my polarity check burn out the GEN ? I need a new 6V pos. grnd Volt/Reg..any suggestions ? the book calls for VRP4402A (AUTOLITE) but could there be others suitable ? Dick

Posted on: 2012/11/24 11:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

custom8
See User information
ALL: Continuing saga...purchased new Volt/Reg at NAPA...6V - Pos Grnd - 35amps, (VR-25) checked out fine with the rebuilt generator..installed same and all went well...no greater improvement with radio capacitor and still not satisfied with Tach reading...I'll try the 12V tach on the market...Thanks all for your patience...Dick

Posted on: 2012/11/30 15:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
to inews for including your '39 Super Eight Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 15:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved