Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
268 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 267

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 12th March 2009

Before going to the workshop rang the windscreen guy and tee'd it up to see him next Tuesday. While at the workshop, didn't get any phone calls to go and amuse the grand-kids, instead had to be content amusing myself with Packard activities.

While Wade cleaned the '37 120 in readiness for the Rally I cleaned more OD parts. First scraping off the crusted on gunk and dirt, then into the parts cleaner and finally a good spray with brake cleaner. And passed the white glove test straight up this time. Then I was off to ABC Bearings at Silverwater to pick the new bearings and oil seals for the Trans and R9 OD.

Back at the workshop found the bearings would fit but not the oil seals, their outside diameter being a little on the large side. So a quick return trip to ABC Bearings for slightly smaller seals. Because the cluster, mainshaft, reverse idler and spigot shaft from the R9 trans weren't in great shape Wade proposed to use those out of John's non OD '39 110 trans which had been replaced by the trans I brokered for it courtesy of eBay last July. However as I learned today 1st and 2nd gears can't be removed from the mainshaft and had to settle for using the R9's mainshaft with those intact and the balance of the parts coming from the '39 trans, the new bearings and seals all fitting nicely. Still some assembly to do, mainly of R9 components, and this will probably be completed next week.

During the course of all of this Noel arrived in his '39 120 Sedan. He'd taken it down to Canberra a few weeks ago and Peter, ie Forum member Peter Packard, had overhauled the OD in the '39. Even installed a NOS OD kick down switch, and it works like a charm. Reason Noel dropped in was to pick up a 41-47 Clipper Parts Manual which Wade was fortunate enough to have. Noel's US visitors for the National Rally arrive in the next few days, including "The Flackmaster" and they are helping Noel to identify and price all the Packard parts that Noel has rounded up for the Rally Swap Meet. The parts are coming from various sources, including members who can't get to the Rally and from Packard Club "stock" which hadn't been catalogued so no one knew what the Club had. There are literally boxes and boxes of all sorts of goodies. Forward your wish lists to me and, providing funds are made available, I'll purchase on your behalf! And Noel tells me he has a pic of his '41 160 Coupe on his computer so now there's no obstacle to putting it in the Owner Registry. Is there Noel?

Last but not least brought the '41 home while Wade was also taking "Old Blue" his '37 120 home to ensure it was running properly in readiness for the Rally. This meant that "Packard Corner" in the workshop was very empty for a change with the '34 chassis sitting there in lonely splendour. It also meant this evening Kath and I went in Packard style, courtesy of the '41, for our usual eat out Thursday night dinner.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.40 KB)
226_49b8dc5c8f6e9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.23 KB)
226_49b8dc81e483d.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (29.84 KB)
226_49b8dc9095c13.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.15 KB)
226_49b8dcb693a9d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.60 KB)
226_49b8dcc6a7f7d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.86 KB)
226_49b8dcdfd63fa.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (30.68 KB)
226_49b8dcf9e830b.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/3/12 5:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Hi guys,

Nice pics good to see your all getting ready for th rally not long now

I hope that the Carribean will be ready in time, with the new trans almost installed, no exhaust installed yet, drive shaft on it way back from Orange (hopefully) and brakes still to be inspected and fixed there's nothing quite like leaving things till the last minute.

Let the countdown begin...

Posted on: 2009/3/12 21:46

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
packard34 wrote:......there's nothing quite like leaving things till the last minute. Let the countdown begin...

Mat,

See you at Mittagong on Sunday week. It'll be good to see the Carib in the flesh even it's held together with chewing gum and fencing wire!

Posted on: 2009/3/13 2:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 16th March 2009

Got my hands dirty even before getting to the workshop. Had a flat tyre on the daily driver (2001 Ford Laser - badge engineered Mazda 323) so on the way there dropped the tyre in to get repaired.

Over the weekend Wade had arranged with John that he'd pick up his '39 110 Sedan for a pre-Rally check, specifically the hand brake, timing and a concern about a leaking radiator top tank. Did the trip over in the '41 with Wade driving because I wanted to get his opinion on the acceleration, the brakes. the overdrive, etc, etc. And all was well, the '41 performed almost flawlessly, the only concern being a tendency to follow ruts in the road which new tyres currently on order should fix. And Wade drove the '39 110 back, getting along very well, while I followed. Back at the workshop Wade started on the '39's radiator, topped it up with water and pressure testing it. Passed with flying colours! Next the radiator cap was tested and it failed dismally. So the radiator wasn't leaking, just the cap, which a new one will easily fix.

While Wade was adjusting the handbrake and distributor of the '39 I returned home but on the way dropped in to see Richard about some rivets that Wade required for the '34. Richard is the guy who makes hood(top) bows for the old car movement in Australia and New Zealand and has stocks of rivets at hand plus he's on the way to and from the workshop, how convenient. Richard was able to supply one rivet first up, but for the other two I took samples so Wade could make a selection for those that best suited his purposes. I was also able to see Richard's '23 Vauxhall 14/40 Tourer for the first time. It had been stored in his daughters garage but now she needed the space so home it came. Richard restored this car over 40 years ago and it still looks good. He also told me it's a very nice and reliable tour car but probably needs some freshening up.

Later back at the workshop found Wade polishing up "Big Red" in readiness for the Rally, so against my better judgement pitched in and lent a hand as this could create a dangerous precedent! Then Harvey, the dash woodgraining bloke, arrived. Harvey had a thicker stronger front sway bar made for his '37 Super 8 some years ago and brought the original over for Wade to fit to his as Wade's didn't have one. Another reason Harvey came over was that Noel was also expected and he was being accompanied by three of his US visitors here for next weeks Rally. They all arrived shortly after Wade had fired up the '34 chassis for Harvey, so were able to it in action, so to speak.

Noel's US visitors were Nelson and Todd, father and son from Texas. Also from the Lone Star State and a PackardInfo member was David, aka "The Flackmaster"! We all know David's area of interest while that of Nelson and Todd is '40 110's and 120's, if I remember correctly. While there, the guys were able to see John's TJ Richards bodied '39 up close. They also got a good look underneath when it was up on the hoist. Needless to say the differences between US Packards, RHD Packards and especially Australian Packards were noted, commented on and also photographed in detail by Todd, the photographer in the group. While here for the Rally, David has the use of "Rent-A-Packard" aka Forum Member Peter Packard's '38 TJ Richards Sedan with a 327, 9 main, 4bbl engine up front,https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=83 And Wade, having repaired Noel's '39 120 radio, had intended to fit it back in while the car was here today. But a small problem arose, in the form of the aerial connection, so a return visit will be made on Friday to fit the radio then.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.34 KB)
226_49be276e7849e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.04 KB)
226_49be279330e5a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.02 KB)
226_49be27a746bfb.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.98 KB)
226_49be27bd1a9b4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.69 KB)
226_49be27cbd57f9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.15 KB)
226_49be27d84c076.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.76 KB)
226_49be27ea77653.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.28 KB)
226_49be28089d6c7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.66 KB)
226_49be2824ba8fc.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/3/16 5:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Mal - nice to meet you in person. Please edit/correct your posting as I am traveling with Nelson and Todd Bates. Nelson is well known in Packard circles in the States, as is his brother Warren Bates, who has been fussing with Packards since about mid-twentieth century.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 15:32

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
flackmaster wrote: Mal - nice to meet you in person. Please edit/correct your posting..........

David,

It was good to meet you, Nelson and Todd yesterday.
My sincere apologies for the error which is now corrected.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 16:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Welcome to all from the States...originally from there myself (Texas).

My wife and I and Junior ('40 110 4 door sedan)will be at the meet. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 19:39
Carpe Diem!! Registry

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Sounds like everyone's getting ready for the big rally.

Now, where did I put that master cylinder... ? Looks like the Carribean will be joining us on the rally mid way through

Booster & master cylinder are in Sydney awaiting A Rebuild. The car goes but doesn't stop!

Packard or no Packard I will still be there and looking forward to meeting all the guys from the U.S and new members

Posted on: 2009/3/17 6:43

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 3rd April 2009

On Wednesday 1st afternoon the OD trans was looked at again because it wasn't able to be turned over by hand. Ended up taking off the rear housing mount, taking out the main shaft and spigot shaft. Examined everything, including counting teeth on gears because the cluster, reverse idler, 1st/reverse gear and top gear had been replaced and all counts agreed. So put it back together and you know what? It works! After not being able to turn it now turns freely! Can't explain it. Then Thursday 2nd, early in the piece, Peter a guy from the Packard club arrived to work on his son's Fiat gearbox. Peter lives up on the Central Coast about an hour and a half away but he's staying in Sydney at the moment and doesn't have access to his usual facilities. He'd rebuilt the Fiat trans but couldn't get it to select any gears so he brought it over to work on. Turns out when he rebuilt it he'd selected reverse gear to set it up and that's a no no you should only select any of the forward gears for set up. But with John's expert advice, although after pulling it apart, Peter now has a working Fiat trans. And Peter helped me by picking me up from home after taking the '38 there so I could return for the '41.

Anyway after the '41 and '38 were "regenerated", to coin a phrase, a re-shuffle of workshop Packard parking arrangements took place. Wade, while waiting for the '34 to be painted, is taking the opportunity to apply some TLC to "Big Red" aka the '37 Super 8. The '38 had been occupying the space near the roller door where "Big Red" normally resides so when the '38 vacated "Old Blue" took up that slot. This gives Wade a driver Packard in "Old Blue" while "Big Red" is off the road. Wade intends to do the front end, the brakes, oil leaks and some other things while he has the chance. Wade is also looking to fix the waterleaks in "Big Red" because his Kiwi mate Bryan, who drove "Old Blue" during most of the Rally but had bummed a lift with Wade for the Restoration Workshop run, had found some more leaks. These were from the cowl, with Bryan upside down under the dash while Wade was driving through the rain on the way to Crookwell. He spotted some leaks which he said were coming from the screws holding in place the canvas webbing on which the hood rests on. On taking off the right upper section of webbing it became apparent where the water was coming in. It's not from the screws but from "slots" over which the webbing sits and it was leaking through there and running to the screw ends from which it was then dripping inside the '37.

Now to today, but first after Peter and I left yesterday, Wade had removed the four road wheels and the front brake drums but was stymied by the rear drums. Wade was using Harvey's heavy duty puller but without success and no amount of hammering and not so gentle persuasion could get them to shift. The puller, tensioned right up, was left on the right rear drum overnight but still not a sign of shifting. And despite more hammering and tightening and hammering and tightening it still refused to budge. All else having failed, out came the "hot spanner", or oxy/acteylene set which was used to apply some judicious heat to the hub of the brake drum to help the process along. Some lusty heavy hitting by John and POP!!! off came the drum! Note - no heat was directly applied to the axle itself the heat was applied to the hub only. Turned to the left rear and same story, so the "hot spanner" treatment was again applied in the same manner and with the same result. Then disassembled rear brakes, removed hand brake cables, removed brake wheel cylinders and the backing plates. Wade took his own pic's of each brake for future reference and in doing so found that one wheel has the main brake springs reversed from the rest, see pic's. The rear wheel cylinders were also leaking so he got there in time before that became a real problem. Looks like the hand brake cables will be re-used but only after a good clean and lube, they were virtually inoperative. The rear axle bearings should be reusable but the seals will be replaced. The rear axles are big impressive items, very thick and with 2 bearings each side, I doubt you'd ever break one! Left Wade to continue by disassembling the front brakes but I can see next week Mal will be in full cleaning mode. Not just for the components taken off "Big Red" but the underside too which need a fair bit of "dusting", it's dirty. So all those skills I acquired when cleaning under the '41 will again be called into play.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.13 KB)
226_49d59a8563410.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.71 KB)
226_49d59b8d16557.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (34.79 KB)
226_49d59babd41e2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.99 KB)
226_49d59bdc7d91a.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (29.94 KB)
226_49d59c0bc2e7f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.49 KB)
226_49d59c17b8e31.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.51 KB)
226_49d59c6fd1216.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.61 KB)
226_49d59c82decbc.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.64 KB)
226_49d59c9119a94.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.90 KB)
226_49d59c9c47cfc.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.54 KB)
226_49d59ca8a95e1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.79 KB)
226_49d59cb77e42f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.33 KB)
226_49d59cc6b0223.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.46 KB)
226_49d59ce619826.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.12 KB)
226_49d59d0b69da3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (20.54 KB)
226_49d59d397f4ea.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.01 KB)
226_49d59d5756be8.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/4/3 0:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 6th April 2009

Wade had been busy after I left on Friday and had removed the right front brakes and backing plate from "Big Red". Today he proceeded to remove the left front brakes and backing plate. He then removed the master cylinder and proceeded to clean up all the cylinders, master and wheel, before taking them around to Col, his brake guy. All will probably be stainless steel sleeved because there was a lot of gunk in all cylinders and 3 of the 4 springs in the wheel cylinders were broken. Looks like he got to the brakes just in time and this after "Big Red" has done many, many thousands of touring miles in the last 18 months including the steep descent to Kiama which had the '41 smoking it's brakes! Wade also looked at the rear axle bearings and seals with the left rear needing replacing, see pic of bearing cup. The right rear bearings and seals will also be replaced although they are in a lot better state of repair. Because of this he's currently in the process of removing the inner bearing cups.

While all this was going on I was engaged in some exciting brake component cleaning and finished the day with 3 out of the 4 brake set components looking much better than when I started. And during all this Peter, he of the Fiat trans, arrived and advised his son's Fiat is now up and running well. Peter also pitched in and made some gaskets for the O/D trans reassembly and he'll be back on Wednesday for more!

Attach file:

jpg  (37.60 KB)
226_49d9d88ddab16.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.89 KB)
226_49d9d8afc1f76.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.36 KB)
226_49d9d8ce69656.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.86 KB)
226_49d9d8e59419a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (20.72 KB)
226_49d9d8fa66478.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.56 KB)
226_49d9d908a31e9.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/4/6 5:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved