Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 212

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: glass fuel bowl observation
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Will ethanol and therefore fuel containing ethanol (as used in modern day fuels) dissolve any kind of a cement that is made from methyl ethyl keytone or acetone????

Posted on: 2012/5/3 15:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm trying to run a little experiment on various materials resistence to ethanol. But rather than to use local service station gas containing ethanol i'm wondering if a higher concentration of ethanol as found in distilled sprirts would expedite or better prove a point.

Bottom line:
Does anyone with a strong chemistry background see any problem with soaking a piece of fuel line hose, carb needle, brass, cement/sealers or any other substance in a jar of say 80 proof whiskey (40% ethanol) rather than using service station gas with only 10% ethanol????

What about maybe just using common houshold 'rubbing alcohol' (isopropyl) for the test.????? Or is isopropyl so different from ethanol that it would render the experiment nonclusisive regardless of the results.

Posted on: 2012/5/5 9:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Here's a pic of the first test specimen.
2wo nuts cemented together erly yesterday with Seal-All. So it's had enuf time to cure i would think. A cement/sealer i've used with great success. But i'd like to run varoius other materials too.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.61 KB)
35_4fa53e8493bdd.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/5/5 9:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Not related to this topic but while i'm here what is the following part????? 2wo such rings in an overhaul gasket set for a 56 Packard V8 engine.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.87 KB)
35_4fa53f8194830.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2012/5/5 9:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Not related to this topic but while i'm here what is the following part????? 2wo such rings in an overhaul gasket set for a 56 Packard V8 engine.

Have seen those in some sets for use on either side of the exhaust manifold heat control valve and maybe between exhaust pipe and manifold.

Posted on: 2012/5/5 10:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yes, Howard is right...for exhaust. and i believe there is some type of paper in the middle, not hollow on mine anyways.

Hank

Posted on: 2012/5/5 10:38
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I won't bet money on it, but the center may be asbestos. There should be two of these for the connection of the exhaust pipe to the pass. side manifold and the heat control valve on the drv. side. The gasket that goes between the heat riser valve and the manifold is flat. I buy them at Packard parts vendors whenever I see them.

Posted on: 2012/5/5 11:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
PackardV8 asked: What about maybe just using common houshold 'rubbing alcohol' (isopropyl) for the test.????? Or is isopropyl so different from ethanol that it would render the experiment nonclusisive regardless of the results.

No, isopropyl alcohol's properties are different enough that the results could be meaningless. But rather than waste good whiskey, just go to the hardware store and buy some "denatured" ethyl alcohol. There is no tax on it because it's "denatured", meaning something has been added to make it unfit for human consumption. There are hundreds and hundreds of denaturing agents in use, but most commonly used is aviation gasoline, or sometimes oil of menthol. It's remotely possible, depending on the denaturing agent, that it might affect your results, but I think that's a reasonable chance to take. Save your whiskey for the purposes it was originally intended for, or ship it to me.

Posted on: 2012/5/5 17:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Shipments to Owen?

Attach file:

jpg  (46.95 KB)
1584_4fa5adb9e37e9.jpg 624X800 px

jpg  (76.81 KB)
1584_4fa5adcdc8d57.jpg 1280X605 px

Posted on: 2012/5/5 17:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Regarding my experiment in post #43 above from a few days ago:

I have the test set up as of 1 day after my #43 post above. Used 80 proof "adult beverage" which is actualyy about 40% ethanol. Will try to post pics of it in few days. ONGOING test probably forever. I'll just shake it a little bit every week or so to see if the nuts seperate. Put in two pieces of hose too. One of the 2wo hose pieces is SAE J30R7 Lets see what happens over the years.

Edit May 13, 2012:
3/8 hose piece is J30R7.
1/4 hose has only "Automotive Performance Inc. Dallas, Texas"

The 1/4 inch hose is probably very old. No numbers on it.

I'll try to add other items as i think of them or run across them. THis is just a test to analyze variuos fuel delivery components (new, and old) over time.

Posted on: 2012/5/12 7:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved