Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 209

DavidM, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Ivory Steering Wheel 48-54 Reproduction Project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
An ivory wheel is a desirable option. Would that have been available as a factory option on my '48? If so, I would gladly repaint mine ivory after I finish the repairs. Right now, the wheel is a beige color with the black accents.

I'm not really that fond of beige.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 15:54
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Joseph (joeyearl), all I can say is that brown hard rubber wheels have been the standard equipment for your 48 Touring Sedan. If you go through other Eights then you will find another variations like ivories, even two-tone wheels and horn ring differences. Don't know if the variations were available as factory options in 1948.

Quote:
...I would gladly repaint mine ivory...

As you probably know, the ivory steering wheels were made of ivory looking plastic and not painted. Well, you were talking about your tight budget...

Attach file:

jpg  (23.51 KB)
757_4fbffba2a3fb1.jpg 500X284 px

Posted on: 2012/5/25 16:37
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The same PA389782 plastic deluxe wheel was available officially from 48-52 and as Guscha mentioned, a sort of ivory translucent plastic rather than painted hard rubber. As I recall from some posters comments, the plastic did not hold up well and many wheels became or are somewhat cracked or crazed.

They changed numbers in 53 but I believe the deluxe may still have been plastic. Believe in 54, they were mostly all painted and available in several colors to match the interior including real ivory colored paint.

If you go thru the photo archive you will see a few photos showing them. From factory, mostly on the higher end cars but dealers seemed to add them to some lesser models.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 17:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
My grandmother had this beautiful translucent white steering wheel and gear-shift knob on her '37 Buick. I always wondered what it was made of??

Posted on: 2012/5/25 18:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Jerry of Yesterdays Radio probably knows what they use but to bring back more memories, there is a restored 37 Buick ivory wheel on Donaldson's sitehttp://americanfiberglassinc.com/steeringwheels/ Also a restored 39 Buick wheel on another sitehttp://www.qualityrestorations.com/buick.html which they are calling transparent maroon -- apparently using a urethane material. Both are very pretty wheels as are some on the Packard page.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 19:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The semi-translucent ivory wheel was standard equipment on the Custom 8 and listed as "standard equipment at extra cost" (whatever than means) on the 22nd series Super Eight convertibles. I wonder if that use on the Super convertibles was actually carried out in regular production, perhaps so. It would be a good question for Robert Neal.

What was IMO probably the most spectacular and elegant wheel of the era was the one used on Chrysler that was clear translucent plastic with randomly dispersed metallic flake. Don't recall what years and models used it, perhaps just Chrysler and just pre-war and just post-war. Anyone ever seen one?

Attach file:

jpg  (235.37 KB)
177_4fc02caacbe38.jpg 934X1239 px

Posted on: 2012/5/25 20:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I seem to remember Chrysler having a slightly rectangular clear wheel except for two colored spoke areas. In the late 50s, early 60s. IIRC, you couldn't see any metal supports in the the clear circumference plastic as is found in a typical wheel. Don't remember if there were flakes in it though.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 20:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes Howard, I remember that one as well, but the one I was referring to was well before that. If I had to guess I'd say 1942 to perhaps 1948. It was stunning. Actually those Chrysler dashboards 1942 thru 1948 were pretty wonderful as well.

Wish I had a photo.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 20:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Yes Howard, I remember that one as well, but the one I was referring to was well before that. If I had to guess I'd say 1942 to perhaps 1948. It was stunning. Actually those Chrysler dashboards 1942 thru 1948 were pretty wonderful as well.

Wish I had a photo.

A quick Google search resulted in this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=XginyU3PkLEC&pg=PA96&lpg=PA96&dq=1948+Chrysler+dashboards&source=bl&ots=2x6LvVTAcr&sig=BQRWGZfD8uYnXAFvoS9Um843RgA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=HT_AT7yXIISo8ATf3PScCw&ved=0CKQBEOgBMAQ#v=onepage&q=1948%20Chrysler%20dashboards&f=false

Posted on: 2012/5/25 21:26
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

joeyearl wrote:
An ivory wheel is a desirable option. Would that have been available as a factory option on my '48?...

Yes, the 'deluxe steering wheel' was offered in the accessory booklet. It also had the chrome inserts on the spokes. As others have already pointed out, the plastic was translucent which won't be duplicated by paint, but if it were my car... I'd go for it. Both my ivory wheels are cracked and in need of restoration, but at 10 feet they look ok.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.88 KB)
188_4fc0f7e599e5a.jpg 521X408 px

jpg  (44.68 KB)
188_4fc0f8d4105b3.jpg 720X540 px

Posted on: 2012/5/26 10:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved