Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 119

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Battery
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
While the retainer is small at the top, the battery tray itself is extra deep. You can see in one of the pictures. The battery is a group 24 and measures 10 1/8" wide x 6 13/16" deep x 7 15/16" high. The I.D. on the retainer is approx 1/4" larger on the width and depth of the battery.

You can see the model information about the battery on the pics below:

Attach file:

jpg  (104.36 KB)
1_4cf71ad510fbb.jpg 1600X956 px

jpg  (104.30 KB)
1_4cf71aeb84063.jpg 1600X956 px

jpg  (78.22 KB)
1_4cf71b0970743.jpg 1600X956 px

Posted on: 2010/12/1 23:06
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kev, would this mean that you could get a battery retainer and hold-down from a '51-'54 and install it in a '55-'56 and use a Group 24 battery for an easy fit?

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/12/2 17:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
As long as the fender mounting holes on the tray are the same, I dont why not. Someone would have to measure a 55/56 tray bolt spacing and I can compare.

Posted on: 2010/12/2 17:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have a group 31 battery mounted without any modifications (that I can remember) to the battery tray in my 400. It seems a little large but fits in a tight fit.
A group 60 = 13 1/16 long, 6 5/16 wide, 8 7/8 high.
The chart says
A group 31 = 13 long, 6 13/18 wide, 9 7/16 high
The 13/18 must be a misprint for 13/16.
I might have had to shave a battery mounting ridge on the bottom of the batt but it was done with little or no problem.
The problem as far as looks is that the terminals are not located on the same side or catty-corner from each other.
They are located in the center at each end of the battery. No one has ever questioned me about it. (maybe I don't have a friendly face).
While a group 27 has 750 CCA, the group 31 has 950 CCA.
I will post a picture as soon as I can get up to the other garage.
This post came about because I need to buy a battery for the Caribbean. An Energizer group 31 is selling for $97.00 here.

Memory has slowly returned and I now recall that I elongated the mounting holes in the battery box allowing it to drop down a bit. I put a slim piece of plywood on the fresh-air tube and sat the box on the plywood to see how much I would have to elongate the mounting holes. I don't recall it as being a large problem and was done rather quickly.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 7:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps instead of abstracting data I should have given the entire list. It's from 1996 so not all group sizes may still be available. Also the very heavy duty truck and bus batteries such as are suited to the prewar Classics (like NAPA 7212 and Delco 717A) are not listed.

Attach file:

jpg  (218.45 KB)
177_4d00e4211c088.jpg 987X1600 px

jpg  (229.36 KB)
177_4d00e430c772d.jpg 987X1600 px

jpg  (145.96 KB)
177_4d00e43e0ee48.jpg 1475X1119 px

Posted on: 2010/12/9 9:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Memory has slowly returned and I now recall that I elongated the mounting holes in the battery box allowing it to drop down a bit. I put a slim piece of plywood on the fresh-air tube and sat the box on the plywood to see how much I would have to elongate the mounting holes. I don't recall it as being a large problem and was done rather quickly. Re: Battery

Randy, could you expand on the slots you elongated to make the group 31 fit and was your tray width already modified. My tray sits above the vent tube a good 3/4 inch but the slots are already about at the top of brackets. Width is only 6 1/2 as others have mentioned so something there would also change for the group 31. If your slots could be elongated or tray was wide, wonder if there was more than one tray used in production. Not too keen on new holes in the fender which I think this tray would need. Might come up with a different or separate support structure the tray could bolt to. That wouldn't be too readily seen if it comes to it but width is another problem to consider.

My Optima has given up after a good 10+ years of service and a large dose of abuse. Lasted far longer than any of the lead acids did under similar treatment. Currently am debating another Optima but a more proper looking battery is also in the mix. I know there are a few to choose from and I've printed O_D's options in post #34 to take shopping. Was mostly curious on the group 31 fit for now because of the extra capacity.

Posted on: 2012/8/31 10:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I ultimately went with a Grp 64 from Exide; correct width to fit the tray and no problem with height, a bit shorter than the Grp. 60 and needed a small mod to the stock holddown. I wish it had a few more CCA but it's adequate, hope it lasts as long as the prior Interstate Grp 64 which was entering it's 8th year and showing no signs of failure - replaced it just as a precaution.

Posted on: 2012/8/31 10:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Would either of the batteries work on the 55s since the posts need to be reversed?

Posted on: 2012/8/31 12:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, of course though depending on what you have now you may want shorter or need longer cables. Also be aware that many batteries are available in a "reversed" format, for example Grp 64 vs. Grp 64R, where the position of the terminals is reversed.

Posted on: 2012/8/31 13:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Thanks OD,
I was not sure if they still offered reversed post batteries.

What did you do for your mod? I used to get the biggest CCA that would fit the battery tray, and fill in the space with pieces of wood. Didn't look great, but it worked.

Posted on: 2012/8/31 13:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved