Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
85 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 83

SandmanPac, ElGroucho, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 18 »

Re: Tim's '55 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you want a reliable touring car that you can drive with confidence, "mission creep" is an essential if you don't have a thorough prior history of a car's servicing.

If you don't know when the wheel bearings were last repacked and seals checked, do it. If you don't know when the differential and std. trans/OD gear oil was changed, do it. If you don't know when the oil pan was last dropped and cleaned, do it. And on and on and on. Once done, you have a baseline for future maintenance and can drive/tour with peace of mind without risking possibly expensive repairs due to not attending to such work.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 10:11
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

william george stocker
See User information
You are so right, by the time i have finished on my Packard all would have been checked, but when would you recheck again? - thanks for the tip. Bill

Posted on: 2011/9/22 14:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
but when would you recheck again?

Good question, and probably good answers vary quite a bit. The original factory service intervals were intended for cars driven regularly, perhaps 12,000 miles a year, so how to apply them to lower-mileage use is a worthy topic. You've got to separate those needs that are time-dependent from those that are mileage dependent. For example collector cars often don't get the prolonged driving that tends to drive moisture from things like rear axles, so changing gear oil more frequently makes sense.

I can just tell you what I've followed over the years. Almost regardless of miles I change the oil in the fall when I lay the cars up for a few months so they sit with fresh oil; I do a grease job at the same time. I flush and change antifreeze every other year. I change differential and standard trans gear oil about once every 10 years. On the car with hydraulic brakes, I try to change out most the fluid every 2 or 3 years - not actually flushing but just bleeding to replace most of it. I drop the oil pan about every 10 years. I repack wheel bearings and check/replace the seals whenever I do brake service or pull the drums to check brake condition. I oil the 3 or 4 lubrication points on the distributor and those on the starter and generator each spring. On cars with refillable shocks like the 34, I check them each time I do a chassis lube. I clean my oil-bath air filters every 5 years or so. For ignition tuneups like plugs and points I pretty much stick to the old rule of thumb - every 10,000 miles or when performance begins to tail off.

Hope that's helpful. It's easy to make up a little spreadsheet in Excel or something like that to keep track of when whatever service was performed.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 14:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
To further O_D's advice on changing lubricants, I always run my vehicles at least 35-40 miles to get moisture evaporated before a oil change. Then drain oil/lube while hot and then let it drip for a while to get any other condensation out and gone before refilling.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 17:16
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Well, another day working on the Patrician, and another unpleasant surprise. I have a new dual exhaust system I am going to install but first I have to remove the existing Rube Goldberg set up installed by a prior owner. I suspect the same owner who separated the rear brake drums from the rear hubs. This guy was a flippin' mechanical genius. [Please note the sarcasm].

The prior owner had jury-rigged a single exhaust in place of the factory dual exhaust. However, in doing so, the guy had broken the left exhaust manifold and had just bolted the heat riser and pipe to the broken flange, leaving the hole there, instead of replacing the left exhaust manifold. The words going through my mind at this discovery are not fit for this forum, but you can well imagine them. Fortunately, I had earlier bought a pair of used exhaust manifolds off of eBay at a very reasonable price and have a spare left one in stock to replace the broken one. It was, however, a chore that I had not expected and getting to the manifold bolts looks like a chore in and of itself.

On the positive side, the rear axle area is progressing. The rear axle seals came off without incident and I have a new set of seals coming from Max Merritt along with a new pair of rear shocks. I also noticed that the bushings on the rear stabilizer bar were in poor shape so I have a new set of those coming as well.

The fuel tank is nearly ready to be re-installed but I want to clean up and paint the retaining bolts and nuts before I re-install the fuel tank. I also want to install the new fuel level sending unit and wire as well.

I've been impressed with the work that some other members have gotten on their parts by media blasting them and then re-painting them. I've been looking at both compressors and media blasters and I want to ensure that I get ones that are compatable with each other and will do the job. Does anyone have any suggestions along that line?

Posted on: 2011/9/25 16:29
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Well, another day working on the Patrician, and another unpleasant surprise. I have a new dual exhaust system I am going to install but first I have to remove the existing Rube Goldberg set up installed by a prior owner. I suspect the same owner who separated the rear brake drums from the rear hubs. This guy was a flippin' mechanical genius. [Please note the sarcasm].

Yes, it is quite amazing what "red neck engineering" efforts and "fixes" that some guys will go to rather than actually fix the problem correctly. One of the worst I remember recently was not on a Packard but a 1963 Tempest 326HO, another rare car. The previous, previous owner had installed a high torque mini-starter that bellhousing mounted. However, to get the "right" alignment, he had shoved a short 2x4 piece of wood between the block and starter and then tightened up the mount bolts! The previous owner did him one better by ignoring the fact that the brake single reservoir had leaked -- hence no brakes at all. He was driving it on the E-brake! The latter guy was convicted of 2nd degree murder (not with the car) and is in the NV "Big House" for 15-30, which is why I got a good deal on the Tempest -- he needed the $ for an attorney, which didn't seem to work out so well.

Sorry, for the slight thread hijack, but the Tempest story is too good to not relate in the context of "red neck engineering" fixes. IMO, "Rube Goldberg fixes" are a quantum level above "Red Neck." Getting the drum off by itself is rather clever, certainly in the realm of "Rube Goldberg-ish".

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/25 17:21
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
On that same vein, I think it was science fiction writer Robery Heinlan who wrote that "No one ever went broke under estimating the extent of human stupidity."

Posted on: 2011/9/25 19:32
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Some progress to report. I managed to free the rear brake lines from the junction box affixed to the rear axle housing. I can see why everyone with whom I spoke recommended replacing the brake lines as well as everything else. I also managed to free one of the brake lines from the master cylinder. Why Packard put the power brake master cylinder right under the steering column is a mystery to me. How does one check the level of the brake fluid?

Another small victory occurred when I managed to free the header pipe and heat riser from the broken left exhaust manifold. Now I've got to extract the six (6) rusted exhaust manifold bolts and replace the manifold. I wonder how much PB Blaster it will take me to free up those bolts?? Any suggestions as to the best way to remove the manifold are more than welcome. I've read the service manual, but that is simply bare bones stuff. I'd love to hear from the man, or woman, who has done one.

I also attached a photo of the left rear sway bar showing the deteriorated rubber bushing. I could be wrong, but I don't think it should be that difficult to replace the bushing. If anyone out there has done it and learned differently, I would love to hear from you!

Attach file:

jpg  (57.90 KB)
3929_4e7fe2d2b6fbd.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (66.68 KB)
3929_4e7fe2e4578c1.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (51.37 KB)
3929_4e7fe2f084361.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (61.09 KB)
3929_4e7fe2fd72ec0.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2011/9/25 21:32
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Most check brake fluid by leaning way over the fender--sometimes with help of a small stool. You can see the level when the cap is off. You can also do it from underneath by feeling the level with your finger and guessing a bit. If you have factory air then unless you can contort yourself in several directions, you can almost forget about the top method because of the blower location.

Those end bushings are not too bad. With frame supported on stands, you can raise and lower the rear axle with a jack to relieve the tension. The top ones are the royal pain. Some are between two plates which are riveted to the frame. Rivets have to be cut and plates separated on those.

Posted on: 2011/9/25 21:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi Tim,
I became a '55 Packard Patrician owner almost exactly one year ago. I had hoped to be driving it by now but "life" got in the way. I still have my '51 to console me.
Like has been suggested by others, I went through a complete service on the '51 before driving it: dropped the oil and Ultramatic Transmission pans and cleaned them along with changing the oil in the rear end. I also did the wheel bearings and seals at the same time. Now I know that everything has at least been checked.
If you think checking the brake fluid on a '55 Packard is fun try it on a '60 Imperial. The master cylinder top is covered by the Power Brake Booster so it is usually easier to wedge your little finger under all that (once you get the top unbolted) as see how far it takes to get your finger wet.
Checking the brake fluid on a '51 Packard (under the car) is more fun yet. I'm looking for a remote filler that was optional for the '51.
I fell in love with the '55-56's since I saw a '56 in the local Packard dealer's showroom when I was 8. They are great cars and there is NOTHING that you cannot find out from this group.
I'll be following your postings with great interest.

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2011/9/25 23:34
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved