Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
250 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 249

Rich49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: Mal's Hershey trip. And, more!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hooberitz
See User information
Hello Mal,

Well, well, well...so you are paying us a visit! I have read with interest your fine comments about your ambitious tour of the US. Frankly, it impresses me that you have taken on this immense journey on your own, including renting a car in LA of all places, and just jumping right in. Good for you, mate! I could not make it to Hershey this year--wanted to go in the worst way, but at the end stayed behind to work on a critical deadline in my studio. Hope to get my transportation device sufficiently developed in the coming months to apply for a patent, my first. I was so very surprised to see the photos of Noel Shorter you posted at Hershey--man his hair is bright orange--would never have guessed it! Funny how you imagine things so differently. Gotta come up with a nickname for him. I will be interested to learn what the highlights were of your visit here. Hope you found the natives welcoming. That Flackmaster takes such pride in assembling the FlackPack at Hershey--it is bigger than Christmas for him. All the Packard folk whom I have met have been very welcoming and hospitable to me, a few permitting me to go along on their adventures--great fun! Hope you have been welcomed similarly.

Happy travels,

Hooberitz
HTL/TTL

Posted on: 2012/10/12 19:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Hershey - Day 3

Hooberitz,

Thanks for the welcome! I'm having a great time. The hospitality splashed out by the Flackmaster and the FlackPack, a diverse and entertaining bunch of characters, is better than first class. Wined, dined and looked after magnificently. Will report later on the highlights of the trip once I've experienced the lot.

Hershey today wasn't fruitful at all, no meaningful purchases but plenty of walking, looking, searching but without meaningful results. Missed out on a purchase, I think. End of the day and the vendor had just finished packing his wares away and wasn't prepared to unpack anything! So the search goes on. Also took in about half the car corral, some interesting vehicles in attendance and available.

Tomorrow will have a different focus, with the Car Show the main event.

For your enjoyment there is just one pic from yesterday.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.18 KB)
226_5078cc4bb7039.jpg 380X512 px

Posted on: 2012/10/12 21:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Hershey - Day 3, update!

Almost forgot, there was one purchase of note, a set of door sills! Yesterday when picking up door sills from Don at Doorsills LLC, they have a site at Hershey, I was reminded by the Flackmaster that I needed to provide Don with the dimensions of The Fossils sills! Mild panic until I realised the info was only a few clicks away courtesy of my laptop but that was back at the Hotel. But with Don's contact number, later that evening, I was able to inform him of the relevant dimensions. And, when Don called back this morning, he had a set in stock at Hershey!

EDIT - The mind is wandering but don't know if it's the change in hemisphere or what! Another matter was by chance I met PAC Vice-President Craig Handley, when I was visiting in the PAC tent today. Some months ago Graig had approved the reprinting in PACA's erstwhile journal, The Packardian of an article first printed in a PAC publication and authored by PackardInfo member JW. So I was able to whip out the last copy of the issue I had with me which contains JW's article and present it, somewhat informally, to Craig.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.97 KB)
226_5078d58999b9e.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (33.83 KB)
226_5078d8ef6cf48.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/10/12 21:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mal, thanks again for the 4 copies of the Packardian. I am most impressed with the quality of the publication. I enjoyed re-reading the article with your light editing to conform to your version of our English language. My son and daughter will each get a copy and I will copy the cover and article for brothers and others, including the owner of the subject Packard. Does this make me an internationally published author?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/10/13 10:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Hershey - Day 4, the Car Show

Today I was going to ride into the car show at Hershey on the back of Dave Lockard's Packard Truck. But events conspired to prevent that happening. The small matter of packing both parts and personal effects prevented departure from the Hotel until after the truck would have entered the field. Apologies Dave for not meeting you today.

So instead of walking around searching for parts, today was spent walking around looking at some great cars in a car show. Spent about 3 hours doing that, taking lots of pictures. Including some of a couple of one off Packards that Noel was insistent that I saw NOW, if not sooner! Noel and Ann were already with these magnificent cars, the Balboa and the Panther, and waiting for me to arrive. Overall some great cars there, including lots of lovely Packards. Pssst, I like the Balboa more so than the Panther.

Then it was off to meet a JohnS a former PackardInfo member who arranged to meet me in front of The Giant Centre at Hershey. I actually left the car show a little early and spent that time walking more of the Car Corral, even then I didn't see it all. Was able to slip into the PAC tent where I picked up some refreshments, even as they were packing up. There I met another PackardInfo guy, John Harley, and enjoyed his company until my departure.

At The Giant Centre met John, and although John no longer has a Packard he wanted to meet me nevertheless. When John had phoned me earlier in the day to arrange the time and meeting place I put the hard word on him as to whether he could drop me off, on his way home, so I could pick up my next hire car. How could he say no? Met with John and his friend Tony, who has 17 Muscle Cars, then off. First to pick up my luggage and then on to Harrisburg and the hire car.

Then the GPS curse struck again! First I couldn't plug in the power lead, the plug in location point was different from the other units I'd used! Back into the terminal and the Avis lady soon had it plugged in. Easy when you know how. Back to the car, program my destination then off. But not far, the GPS thought it was in Chicago Illinois and had calculated a route to my Motel from there! Ring Avis and they said bring it back, but I was already outside the airport. Fortunately the first sign I saw pointed me in the right direction. Soon had a fresh GPS, actually it was the third one because the second one she gave me had the same problem! Then I put the wrong address into the GPS and ended up in Harrisburg and not Carlisle where I was supposed to be.

But I am now safely ensconced in the Motel down-loading pic's and the like.

Quote:
JW wrote:Mal, thanks again for the 4 copies of the Packardian...Does this make me an internationally published author?(o[]o)
John,

Of course, but with PackardInfo and other Forums you've already served a lengthy digital apprenticeship without a proper paper publication to your name!

Attach file:

jpg  (50.61 KB)
226_507a06bf7d040.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.14 KB)
226_507a06d089655.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (55.28 KB)
226_507a06e21f1fd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.33 KB)
226_507a06f6715b7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.18 KB)
226_507a07058b267.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/10/13 19:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Packard Truck Show - York Springs PA

Sunday after Hershey is Dave Lockard's Packard Truck Show day. Spent a couple of hours there in the morning, not long enough, having to leave "early" to catch my next flight. Nevertheless had a real good time, plenty of real friendly people, some Packards, some other cars and of course the Packard Trucks.

Greeted intially by PackardInfo member Rich, who was there with both his family and his Packard. It was his first Hershey too, spending a couple of days there before going on to the Truck Show today. His wife must be real understanding, she was there too together with their very young family. Also met another Packard owner, John and his wife Julie, who were there with their original survivor '37 115c Sedan. Then the man of the day Dave Lockard, a great guy, dispensing hospitality in spades including Packard Truck Meet hats. Hasn't left my head since I put it on mid morning, thanks Dave!

Then off to the shed, a big shed as befitting Packard Trucks. There they were, three trucks. An '18 restored Packard Army Truck, A '19 Packard Truck, unrestored. And a '20 restored stakebed Packard Truck. What a trio. Took plenty of pic's then it was outside again.

By this time three more Packards had arrived, two '40's, a Sedan and a Coupe and a '56 Caribbean Convertible. First met the owner of the '40 Sedan, Craig, who is a member here. Didn't get to meet the owner of the other '40 but did meet the Caribbean's owner Dwight. I'd seen Dwight in the PAC tent but hadn't caught up to him there, and I'd seen his '54? Patrician yesterday parked outside the PAC tent. Couple of other people I met were Gary and Raoul, from The Netherlands, no pic's. And a pair of Aussie brothers Bruce and Dick, who Peter and Ann Toet know, in fact they'd met up with Peter yesterday.

However by this time I had to leave, airplanes have their own schedule. Although I didn't know it then the plane was delayed by about 45 minutes. This gave me time to caption this album of pic's of the day while waiting. Presently sitting in the departure lounge at Philladelphia waiting to board a flight to Miami FL.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.41 KB)
226_507b2a0788f1c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.44 KB)
226_507b2a2ba8128.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.76 KB)
226_507b2a39d2341.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.15 KB)
226_507b2a570859e.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (34.49 KB)
226_507b2a6bbf6c5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.34 KB)
226_507b2a84f17a4.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/10/14 16:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
The original plan was to collect my last Packard part pickup, another 48-50 Grill centre section, then go to the Packard Museum in Fort Lauderdale where I was to meet up with Joey Earl and his lovely wife Rosina. But a change of plans occurred because Joey was committed to work today and that meant I swung by his workshop on the way to the museum after picking up the grill. The grill pickup was interesting with the guy I bought it from, Francis, having lived in Oz not far from where I live for some time in his teens, years ago. Took along a comfort package comprising packets of Tim Tams, Iced Vo Vos and a jar of Vegemite. Google these for explanations, Aussie culinary icons! Francis runs an automotive shop and amongst his clients has a guy with a couple of pre WW2 Packards which I was invited to see but had to decline the invitation because of my tight schedule. Then on to see Joey where I saw his '48, met Rosina as well meeting his neighbour Bill who has HUUUUUGE offshore power boats and an assortment of mostly sports car racing cars, very impressive. At both stops spent more time than I imagined I would, but that happens.

Then to the Museum. All I can say is if you're ever in the vicinity you have to see it. Mostly pre WW2 Packards, mostly restored but some not so but all very presentable. There I met 94 year old Shirley, wife of the Museums founder Arthur Stone. She's a lovely lady and I managed to get a couple of pic's of her with Packards! Most gracious.

Then off on my trip north, but first a more westerly trajectory to LeHigh Acres where I spent over an hour being entertained by Clay, CCRizor, and his delightful wife Jean who provided refreshments for me of a cup of tea together with pumpkin pie. First time I'd ever had pumpkin pie, it was delicious! Saw Clay's '54 Pacific as well as his other cars, E-Type Jag and Mustang, a real car guy. Great hospitality, thanks Clay and Jean. And not that long after leaving Clay and Jean, saw a Packard by the roadside!

Still having camera and uploading problems, compounded today by the museum not permitting flash photography. Lets hope at least some of them are OK when I finally get things organised.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.61 KB)
226_507cd36acc82e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.65 KB)
226_507cd3f1582f8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.29 KB)
226_507cd46cb5378.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.67 KB)
226_507cd492189b3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.83 KB)
226_507cd4a615e14.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (34.18 KB)
226_507cd4bbc3ae6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.38 KB)
226_507cd6820bfcd.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (49.68 KB)
226_507cd69e23b51.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/10/15 22:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Last day, Tuesday 16th October.

Writing this from the comfort of my home in Oz where it's now Thursday 18th October. Tried to put something together on the way home at Orlando airport, then LA airport and finally Nadi airport in Fiji. However internet problems conspired to prevent that happening. On Tuesday visited Rick Schmidt's collection at National Parts Depot(3 Packards) at Ocala Florida then it was down the road to Big Daddy Don's Drag Racing Museum(1 Packard). Fine collections both and if you ever have the opportunity to visit them, do so you wont be disappointed. Still sorting out pictures but have included a few here of the Packards.

Will post links to the various albums of pic's taken as I sort them out.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.03 KB)
226_507fb4c4d8a2c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.75 KB)
226_507fb4d018db0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.35 KB)
226_507fb4deed29a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.04 KB)
226_507fb4ef7535a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.69 KB)
226_507fb52795fe4.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (41.16 KB)
226_507fb54527738.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/10/18 2:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Mal
Sorry I missed you in Dayton. I was up to my ears finishing projects and preparing to leave for the week.

Posted on: 2012/10/18 10:56
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mal, it must be nice to sleep in your own bed again. Always nice to leave and always nice to return home. Thanks for your travel journal postings. We all got to share in your travels.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/10/18 11:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved