Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 162

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 16 »

Re: 56 Patrician bought off ebay
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Brian,

The reference to the locks I mentioned from Kimes notes that the Power Lock option could be purchased separately for $30 or came as part of the $108 Power Window option (thus my note that it would be a "required option" if Power Windows were ordered).

Kimes also notes that the lock feature was not given much publicity and that "a lot of other companies 'invented' it later." Shades of the old "Packard Firsts" thread, ie, did Packard have it first? Let's not get started.

Interestingly, it says that there was "a button on either side of the dashboard" suggesting that either Mom or Dad could lock the back doors to keep the kids inside. It was not considered a convenience feature so much as a safety feature.

I'd like to see what they look like if Randy gets around to it.

Quotes from: "Packard, A History of the Motor Car and the Company" copyright 1978, Automobile Quarterly, Beverly Rae Kimes, ed. pg 606

Posted on: 2011/4/16 18:41
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Re "Power Lok", I believe this image correlates the Dana trade name to the manufacturer. Sorry I don't recall the source of this photo but it was from this website some time back. IIRC, the decal was used on Studebaker products but not on Packard, at least not in 56.

Also, if memory serves, the analysis of the 56 Caribbean convertible build slips shows one with electric door locks.

Attach file:

jpg  (159.38 KB)
177_4daa29a198e53.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/4/16 18:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Guy -

Yes, the Electric Window Lift (WL) option is listed in Trade Letter 56-1001 at $108 (retail) for all models except Caribbeans (which included that as standard equipment), and the Electric Door Locks (DL) option was $30 (retail). Further, the WL option for four-door models notes "must include DL"; the DL option for four-door models notes "included with WL" (with that $30 price).

As regards DL "purchased separately", that could be a matter of interpretation. I've never seen a '56 sedan that had DL without WL and would be very be surprised if there was a production order to support that DL was available alone. Also, since WL pricing was same for two- and four-door, I strongly suspect that you would have had to pay the extra $30 for DL, on top of the $108 for WL, on a foor-door.

Packard may very well have been first to offer powered door locks, but not that big of a deal, IMHO. This was actually a very simple set-up and only locked the doors; they had to be unlocked manually.

Yes, nice convenience for mom and dad for the safety of kids in the back. Yet, my folks preferred the 2-door models for that purpose.

Posted on: 2011/4/16 21:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen -

No doubts that Power-Lok was the tradename of Spicer. Perhaps Packard preferred one of it's own - as was the case with other off-the-shelf techlogies they were using.

Curious about that Carib with electric door locks, though. The Trade Letter specifically notes DL as "Not Available" on Caribbean models

Posted on: 2011/4/16 21:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Curious about that Carib with electric door locks, though. The Trade Letter specifically notes DL as "Not Available" on Caribbean models

Agreed. There are some other interesting curiousities with the 56 Carib convertibles as well, such as the one with a rear radio speaker, installation noted on the build slip. Wonder how they mounted it?

All these little curiousities are great grist to keep us churning.

Posted on: 2011/4/16 22:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Friend Chris installed electric door locks on his Caribbean. Why? Because he could.
He also installed an underseat heater - same reason.
AND - factory air! He said the AC was a tad more difficult than the electric door locks.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 1:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Were there any special order acessory codes for hood bug deflectors, curb feelers, fox tails, or the full width rear mud flaps???? Such accesories, as after market, were very popluar among Packard buyers in Pennsyltucky and New Jerssee.

Edit: The two large pic-nik baskets that fit the trunk side-by-side too.

EEeeeeee-Ha!

Posted on: 2011/4/17 7:32
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Brian,

The $30 for power locks was almost certainly a "pay extra" now that you mention it. It would've been part of the window lift wiring harness and putting it in by itself wouldn't make much sense.

Quote:

BH wrote:
Yes, nice convenience for mom and dad for the safety of kids in the back. Yet, my folks preferred the 2-door models for that purpose.

My folks just kept the car a 3-door, with the drivers side back door stuck from the factory with a bad locking mechanism.

Guess who got to sit on that side of the back seat? My brother was three years older and presumably knew enough not to jump out of the car, or open the door just to see the pavement whiz by!

BTW, I care if Packard had the power door lock feature first, in that it shows once again that Packard engineered a unique feature that became an industry standard and is still in use. They would've gotten around to the unlocking feature pretty soon,

Now, a little more on-topic. How 'bout some pics of this feature, which many have never seen? Randy is good at those close-in shots...

Posted on: 2011/4/17 13:56
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is propaganda on the locks here:https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1956ElectroLocks.pdf

The buttons are just chrome plated push buttons on the underside of dash in locations shown in brochure. Could almost be mistaken for the early Ford push button starter switch except a little bigger diameter.

Push button activates relay on firewall next to the power window relay which then activates solenoids. Solenoid kicks the lock mechanism in door latch same as pushing the button down would do--only with a little more authority. Different configuration front vs rear solenoids. They had their early teething problems also as the SC mentions.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.80 KB)
209_4dab43d5f1ce7.jpg 381X568 px

Posted on: 2011/4/17 14:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Guy -

Relative to powered door locks being a first, it's been my observation that independent automakers of that time were often looking for anything different to set themselves apart from the Big Three.

In that regard, Packard put marketing emphasis on a particular aspect of several specific features in the Packard Preventive Safety... brochure for 1956. Oddly, no mention of the electric door locks in that one.

In addition to the Electro-Locking brochure that Howard cited, there were a couple of companion showroom decals - one that appears to be for a door window and the other for the dash, perhaps to identify one of the discreet locations of the switches.

Meanwhile, you'll find additional details and illustrations of the electric door locks (including the under dash switches) in the 1955-1956 Service Manual. Curiously, while power windows and seats are covered in the Electrical section, the power door locks were covered in Section XIX - Body - namely the 56th Series Supplement pages at the back of that section.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 17:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 16 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved