Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
237 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 236

Bingo, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 52 53 54 (55) 56 57 58 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
The industrious and generous attitudes of the gentlemen of 'Wades Workshop' never cease to amaze me! Thank you Wade (and Barry) for putting all of that together for me - I am very much obliged to you, although I hope your repayment, as discussed today, will go some little way in expressing my gratitude. And I really do mean that.

Also I am sorry, Mal, if my reference to your secretarial skills was in any way offensive, but I think it is important that, as a well rounded individual (insert smirk here), we are able to function in a number of roles. I think you should take it as a complement that I think you would make a fine secretary. Indeed if I may be so bold as to offer some advice for the future, I think that given your complexion you need to be careful in the selection of the shade of lipstick to be used, and maybe a little less blush would work better. Also you may want to consider leaving the fishnet stockings and suspenders in the drawer at home...

And I really DON'T mean any of that!

Thank you Mal for all your efforts here and your help to me personally. I always look forward to the opportunity of stealing a few minutes from work each day in order to check in on 'Wades Workshop' and I hope to catch up with you all again soon.

Posted on: 2010/7/23 6:38
If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving is Not For You...

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi Mal, can you elaborate on "On Tuesday Wade had taken the pumpkin to a diff company at Seven Hills for lapping-in and set-up." From a previous post. I am interested in what is meant by "lapping in". I have set up ring and pinions by means of getting the correct contact patch and backlash, but am unfamiliar with lapping the gears in. I am curious because I have a 3.92 set that I need to replace bearings on eventually and would like to ensure they run quiet and smooth.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/7/23 8:58

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
39super8 wrote:......can you elaborate on "On Tuesday Wade had taken the pumpkin to a diff company at Seven Hills for lapping-in and set-up.".........
Jim,

Quick google search found this series of videos.

Lapping in1

Lapping in2

Lapping in3
Quote:
Snapey wrote:........Also I am sorry, Mal, if my reference to your secretarial skills was in any way offensive, but I think it is important that, as a well rounded individual (insert smirk here), we are able to function in a number of roles. I think you should take it as a complement that I think you would make a fine secretary. Indeed if I may be so bold as to offer some advice for the future, I think that given your complexion you need to be careful in the selection of the shade of lipstick to be used, and maybe a little less blush would work better. Also you may want to consider leaving the fishnet stockings and suspenders in the drawer at home...
Matt,

You'll no doubt remember politician Alexander Downer and the fishnet stockings and high heels he donned for charity back in 1996, the images of which stayed with him throughout his political career.

Posted on: 2010/7/25 2:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Mal, thanks very much for posting the links. I have never heard of, or seen this process until your mention here. I will have to investigate and see if there is such equipment locally. I bet it makes for a very quiet fitment.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/7/25 2:37

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 26th July 2010

Wade was working on Big Red's fuel tank pick up and sending unit when I arrived at the workshop. Had further cleaned it up, made a couple of gaskets and was now at the point of re-assembling it. Was able to provide the extra pair of hands required for putting the two pieces of the housing together and in the re-riveting required. Wade also soldered one of the rivets at each end to ensure a good earth/ground was established and maintained. Checks on the multimeter, during and after the re-assembly, indicates the unit should work well. After that came the re-installation of the tank itself back into Big Red. Lot easier than 120 tanks because it doesn't have the comparatively long and twisted filler neck the 120's do. Then came the reconnection of the fuel line, which was a different matter because of space restrictions not helped by the positioning of the auxiliary electric fuel pump. All back in now but the proof will be when the tank's refilled and is actually in operation.

Then a road trip out to Seven Hills to pick up the "lapped-in" and set up pumpkin for the '39. Back at the workshop came it's re-installation and re-assembly of the other parts. While the pumpkin had literally slipped out of the diff housing with nary a protest, reversing the procedure wasn't as easy. Pumpkin placed on a floor jack, slid under the '39's diff housing, then with Wade under the '39 manouvering the pumpkin/jack combination the fun started. Up a little, across a little, forward a little, down a little, across a little, back a little, forward a little, sideways a little. A little here, a little there but alignment and mating with the housing continued to elude us. At this point Graham wandered over and he was press-ganged into sliding under the '39 to assist Wade. Then with Graham's help, literally bench-pressing the pumpkin, it finally slid into position.
Graham!

After bolting the pumpkin in, came the re-connecting of the tailshaft to the pinion flange, cleaning and repacking the axle bearings, re-installing the axles, remounting the brake backing plates, re-installing the axle seals and retaining plates, remounting the brake drums, re-connecting the brake lines and bleeding the brakes. Probably missed something out my description of the re-assembly but hopefully in real life that didn't happen! All that should remain is re-installing the wheels/tyres then re-tightening the axle nuts once back on solid ground. The '39 will then be good to go!

Attach file:

jpg  (33.00 KB)
226_4c4df8d1ce990.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.56 KB)
226_4c4df8eac12fa.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.57 KB)
226_4c4df8fc7d68d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.03 KB)
226_4c4df92b0c041.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (16.92 KB)
226_4c4df93b6ab15.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (33.60 KB)
226_4c4df957d5bb4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.73 KB)
226_4c4df9719d41c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.89 KB)
226_4c4df989c641c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.37 KB)
226_4c4df9b270273.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.52 KB)
226_4c4df9c6f3356.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.05 KB)
226_4c4df9d8779a3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.05 KB)
226_4c4df9ec8d406.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.62 KB)
226_4c4df9f9c46ce.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.11 KB)
226_4c4dfa04c51e2.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2010/7/26 16:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mal, your documentary of the happenings at Wade's Workshop are eagerly anticipated. This is a rich resource of information that you are providing. Just a couple of comments about what I have observed in the photos on the last work on "Big Red".

I believe that there needs be copper gaskets between the differential housing and third member in addition to the MBM gasket. Maybe this was something that was done after 1939 to quench the leaking problem between the housing and the third member.

Also, and more important, I believe that there is no gasket between the axle housing and the brake backing plate. Shims to adjust axle shaft end play go here. A gasket needs to be between the outer oil seal retainer and the backing plate and a second gasket between the outer seal retainer and its outer housing or guard.

Just thought I would share this based upon my experiences. Please keep the documentary coming. Thanks. I see by my GeoChron that it is about 1315 on Tuesday in Sydney and 2315 on Monday here in Austin. Good night.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/7/26 23:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 28th July 2010

Oil! Oil! That's the word that came to me driving to the workshop this morning. What was I thinking when I wrote - "All that should remain is re-installing the wheels/tyres then re-tightening the axle nuts once back on solid ground. The '39 will then be good to go!"? Before the '39 can go anywhere first the diff needs to be filled with a very vital lubricant! Fortunately Wade, as usual, was way ahead of me because on reaching the workshop there was a 5 litre container of oil on the bench. But unfortunately there was only about 1 litre in it! However Dave from Penrite is making a delivery tomorrow so oil will be well. Bad jokes aside I sprang, or rather slid into action on the creeper, under the '39 and put the litre we had into the diff. About a month ago I bought a cheap baster, just for these types of situations, after having to fill the diff in my '41 using a funnel, tube and small container. Filled the diff then but in the process spilled a lot of oil. Using the baster it's certainly a cleaner method but very slow, having to draw the oil in then push it out and repeat that numerous times. Just thinking, using a sports drink bottle with a flexible plastic tube might be even better! Hmmmmm......

While I was under the '39 Wade had taken out # 2 sparkplug, cleaned and re-installed it. He'd noticed there was a lot of gunk around the plug, appeared it may not have been properly seated. However Wade is suspicious because the plugs are NOS of unknown age and with time the seal between the porcelain insulator and the metal body sometimes fails. So after I finished under the '39 Wade started it up. And start it did, spun over very quickly on the now fully charged up battery coupled with the cleaned up starter motor. With the engine now running and the car up on jackstands the diff was "tested" by shifting the trans into top and letting the rear brake drums spin. Enabled the litre of oil in there to be circulated and could also listen for noises, of which there were none! # 2 sparkplug also appeared to be fine but will get a better test tomorrow when under load on the road.

Just as Wade switched Noel's '39 off, who should arrive but the man himself. Noel brought over the front shocks from his '41 160 Coupe which Wade had Tony "Shocks" rebuild last year. But they'd both sprung leaks so Wade will be return them to Tony for warranty repairs because they hadn't seen any service. Unless you count the 30' they'd travelled mounted on the chassis when being pushed around the yard. And Noel says he has some NEW Autolite sparkplugs which he'll drop in the next time he's over to replace the current plugs. Wade was happy to hear that. And then Noel said did you fix the welch plug? Blank looks on both Wade's and my faces then realisation that Noel was talking about the missing welch plug at the rear of the '39's OD that PeterL had noticed a few weeks ago when installing the DAF snubber. After Noel left Wade measured up the plug, in the tight confines under the '39 it looked about 17mm, then had a look in his stock. Plenty of bigger plugs but no small ones. However John managed to source a couple of boxes of plugs of various sizes, the smallest of which was 11/16 and of which there was only one! Fortunately it will fit. Using a bit more nous this time Wade measured the 11/16" plug directly against the plug in the spare OD, saved a lot of twisting and contorting. Fitment of the plug, which is now foremost in our minds, will wait however until the '39 can be put up on a hoist to give more reasonable access.

Yesterday Wade had picked up a couple of side mirrors to mount on Emily. Mount on Emily? What are we talking about? Emily is a '37 115c Sport Coupe owned by PACA member WendyS. Emily is coming into the workshop soon for a service, tune-up and general checkover all in readiness for the National Rally to Kangaroo Island in late September. The trip to K.I. from Sydney is about 1,400 kms, or about 825 miles. And all up, well over 3,200 kms or 2,000 miles will be covered, so mechanically the participating Packards need to be in good mechanical shape. Wendy's Emily will be followed in by husband Dicks '39 Convertible Coupe also for a service, tune-up and checkover in readiness for the rally. Now that's a Packard family for you! Mind you the '39 might come in before the '37 because those details haven't been settled yet, but suffice to say they'll both receive some pre-rally Packard TLC.

While Noel was at the workshop I returned a CD, he'd lent me a little while ago, of pictures from his Christmas with DAF. David, I'm tempted, very tempted, to publish a very candid shot of one DAF but, seeing I value my life very highly, have just managed to restrain myself from doing so. This is killing me......! What I will publish though are some Packard relevant pic's from a trip to New Orleans and Noel with couple of Packards.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.51 KB)
226_4c4feb9f90549.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.71 KB)
226_4c4febdebd46b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.18 KB)
226_4c4fec4bd147e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.23 KB)
226_4c4fec5ab1fb5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (51.13 KB)
226_4c4fec6742816.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.60 KB)
226_4c4fec9f9223d.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (26.91 KB)
226_4c4fecab66312.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (22.80 KB)
226_4c4fecc7a7fa3.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (31.98 KB)
226_4c4fecda21133.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (50.92 KB)
226_4c4fecfbc1cf7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (49.19 KB)
226_4c4fed08b0352.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (52.96 KB)
226_4c4fed1672904.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (51.23 KB)
226_4c4fed292df1c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (51.19 KB)
226_4c4fed37d421f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.57 KB)
226_4c4fed4513643.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (49.40 KB)
226_4c4fed5a9cfae.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/7/28 3:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 29th July 2010

Yesterday, just after Noel arrived and the '39's engine was switched off, I said to Wade and Noel "What's that noise"? It was a glug, glug, glug sound and I was assured it was just the radiator overflow operating with the radiator coolant finding it's level after the 10 minute engine running time. This morning, Wade found a puddle of water under and in front of the '39. Seems the glug, glug, glug was actually a leak from the water pump. Preliminary investigation appeared the leak was emanating from the lower left water pump retaining bolt. However after draining the coolant, removing the fan and pulley then wrestling with the retaining bolts it was apparent the water pump seal was in fact the culprit. Just a word about the fan removal on a 120, not an easy job, the radiator fins act like an old style cheese grater with no regard for the frailties of human flesh! It's hard enough getting them out and when the time comes putting them back in is even worse! Did I mention wrestling with the water pump retaining bolts? I did? What happened there, was a 9/16" spanner(wrench) or socket was too small while a 5/8" was too big. What did fit was a 5/16" Whitworth spanner(wrench) or socket. But because of clearance issues with the front motor mount and the 2 lower bolts, that's where the wrestling came in. But with Wade's never give up, and if someone put it on I can get it off, attitude they eventually succumbed. Needless to say, these bolts will be replaced! Pump off, didn't look too flash inside and the bearing felt like it had lumps in it. Cleaned up, the pulley flange pressed off, impeller pressed off and shaft and bearing pushed out there was another surprise waiting. the impeller had been modified to accept a modern seal. While Wade had a "spare" impeller it was more decorative than useful having deficiencies of it's own.

Wade made some calls chasing parts and informed Noel of this latest "development". Noel, in turn, was soon in contact with a well known US Packard parts hound who just happened to have a NOS water pump on the shelf. This is now winging it's way across the worlds largest ocean to enable Noel's '39 120 to return to the road, it'll just be a little later than previously envisaged. While all this was going on David from Antique Tyre Supplies at Ingleburn, also distributors of Penrite Oils, arrived. David was delivering various Penrite oils to Wade, including the diff oil required for Noel's '39. David also informed me I hadn't paid for the bonnet(hood) welting, for the '41, I'd bought from him probably 18 months ago! And he's now promised to send me the bill! Isn't there a statute of limitations on these things? Now I think of it, I'd rung David about the welting and he'd posted it to me. Appears the accounting for it must have slipped between the cracks for a while. Meanwhile, Noel is apparently forming all sorts of conspiracy theories concerning this latest episode with the '39. Thinks I might be sabotaging it in order that I'll have something more to write about. I can assure you Noel, I didn't and don't do anything, these things just happen when I'm in the vicinity!

Attach file:

jpg  (39.98 KB)
226_4c5154ab1b9c8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.79 KB)
226_4c5154ba29836.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.84 KB)
226_4c5154d990e21.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.19 KB)
226_4c5154e495f85.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.83 KB)
226_4c5154ff6823a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.05 KB)
226_4c51550fa988b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.56 KB)
226_4c51552ab780f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.58 KB)
226_4c515591489b6.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/7/29 5:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 2nd August 2010

At the end of last week Wade had finished filling Noel's '39's diff, put it back on the ground, tightened wheels lugs and axle nuts and put the hub caps back on. Now all that remains is installing the NOS rebuilt water pump when it arrives, and then it will be good to go. Wade had also made a bumper mounting bracket for a rumble seat step plate in readiness for "Emily's" arrival in the near future. Emily has the step pad on the mudguard(fender) but is missing the bumper mounted step plate. Dick and Wendy provided a brass step plate and a "drawing" of the required bracket. The WFI bracket looks good. And speaking of Emily, a parcel arrived today containing most of the tune-up parts for Emily and the '39 110 Convertible Coupe. However it was short one part which will necessitate Wade phoning or emailing the vendor tonight.

And today started with some workshop maintenance. My time today was spent cleaning parts but before doing so the light inside the blasting cabinet needed fixing, because sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't but mostly it didn't! While Wade was attending to that I replaced the sacrificial plastic sheet stuck onto the interior surface of the cabinet door lid. Although the surface of the door lid itself is clear plastic, the sacrificial plastic sheet saves the lid from getting blasted and turning opaque over time. Longest part was cleaning the old adhesive off to ensure the fresh sheet has a good bonding surface to adhere to. That done, now having light and a see-through lid commenced cleaning. Cleaning encompassed the speaker case for Pepe's radio, the step plate and steep plate bracket for Emily and an old hydraulic jack that Wade is going to use in Big Red which presently is jackless. Didn't just use the blasting cabinet, what could be removed initially on the wire wheel was done so and it all takes time. Then tomorrow morning Wade will paint these assorted pieces. And a diversion in all this was the arrival of Wayne, who dropped in during his lunch break for a Packard catch up.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.52 KB)
226_4c568de35ca39.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (17.73 KB)
226_4c568dfb4ee07.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (11.98 KB)
226_4c568e08aa17a.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (32.56 KB)
226_4c568e1cd91df.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.98 KB)
226_4c568e2cbd331.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.45 KB)
226_4c568e4792a22.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.99 KB)
226_4c568e5e5c53b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (52.17 KB)
226_4c568e7d6ec41.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.85 KB)
226_4c568e8f67167.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (30.23 KB)
226_4c568ea783502.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.67 KB)
226_4c568ebc34dc0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.97 KB)
226_4c568ec89d0fd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.26 KB)
226_4c568edccb9a3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.98 KB)
226_4c568ee916a73.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/8/2 4:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 3rd August 2010

Just a quick drop in to the workshop today where Wade was just finishing off POR-15'ing some of the parts cleaned yesterday. Today Wade is also involved in helping George, a local motor mechanic, set up his relocated workshop. Wade is sorting out the present electrical wiring, who knows what is what or if it's safe? And advising on new wiring and connecting it up after new conduits are in position.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.30 KB)
226_4c57ae1013776.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.22 KB)
226_4c57ae25123fc.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (46.68 KB)
226_4c57ae3b06327.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/8/3 0:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 52 53 54 (55) 56 57 58 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved