Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
258 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 258

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 56 57 58 (59) 60 61 62 ... 148 »

Re: Stewart's 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Very good. Full restoration. Will this be 100 % factory correct? All original? The float assemblies are available (full wishbones) on mikes carburetor and carbs unlimited for about 40-48 . Since the car and carb has sat an extended period the shake test on your floats will be useless from evaporating. You can use the "cool and plunge" test into steaming water but be aware- these can get paper thin and weak and can test seemingly ok one day then fail shortly after being put into service. This can cause flooding,overflow, and fire hazard.

Posted on: 2017/10/29 8:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I have come to the conclusion that I have underestimated my abilities and knowledge on this Rochester carburetor rebuild.

To me, it's just a disassembly, cleaning and put it back together. The disassemble, clean & rebuild process has gotten me this far but this is far more important and now I understand that.

I think what I am going to do is complete the rebuild with the new parts from this cheap $45 rebuild kit. I will then use it this way to get it started in the spring as I had planned. I'm not talking about getting it running for an extended time just getting it to turn over for the first time. I have to rebuild it anyway since I doubt anyone wants me to send it to them in pieces.

Then sometimes after it's been started I'll send it out to someone or someplace with much more knowledgeable than me to rebuild it properly.

Posted on: 2017/10/29 20:27
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1SG
See User information
Stewart, what you have come to understand is the basic secret of everything mechanical, it is really very simple. Added to this is: the right tools make any job easy and if you do not know - ASK. I used to rebuild nuclear warheads for a living (military). They are no different. Just relax and enjoy your hobby. We are redoing my wife's '55 Clipper Custom as a daily driver so we look at things differently than a restoration. We live 100 miles from the nearest grocery.

Posted on: 2017/10/29 22:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Ok . I understand your plan. Good luck. Hope she runs great. I asked about the history of the carb and car because looking at one pic you posted it seems as if the two tiny holes that feed the idle bleeds under the blades on your baseplate are visably larger than a factory Packard 4gc. Possibly modified? Very hard to tell from that one pic and if you never drove it? If you would like to know the size of those by drill index size or would like any parts info, spring tension specs or info of doing the minimal testing of those floats and the preferred float level settings for the style of needle you are using- PM me to exchange phn #s.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 8:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I almost have the carburetor back together.

All this fair weather here has kept me working on other projects. We had an F-1 tornado touch down across the road from us about 2 weeks ago. It destroyed 2 barn's and mobile home further down. All we lost was a single shutter off the house.

I can't believe I am looking forward to the cold week ahead. I have also been adding a ceiling to my shop so it will hold heat better.

The only thing missing on the carb, at the moment, is the choke flap. I had to order a couple of replacement screws for it because I destroyed the original two. I thought I ordered 2 screws. They were kind of expensive for 2 small screws but it would have taken me weeks to find them another way. Like an idiot, I actually ordered 2 packages of 20 screws.

Also pictured below is the glass fuel filter housing. I'm just cleaning it up. Replacing it would be easier but I want to use it. Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the rubber seal inside the top of it? This one is solid.

I see my project blog has topped 100,000 views. It only took 4 ? years. I'd be more impressed if I didn't know that at least half of them are me looking at my own post.

Attach file:

jpg  (220.38 KB)
5209_5a27494d999f2.jpg 1152X2048 px

jpg  (106.18 KB)
5209_5a274966a2973.jpg 1080X1920 px

jpg  (96.03 KB)
5209_5a27497573f7a.jpg 1152X2048 px

jpg  (162.83 KB)
5209_5a2749844613e.jpg 1152X2048 px

Posted on: 2017/12/5 20:37
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is the stock filter Max has the gasket.

Posted on: 2017/12/5 20:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I bought some on eBay.

Posted on: 2017/12/5 21:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Fuel filter assy: Aluminum, glass bead. Steel, "evapo-rust".
Glass, soak in carb cleaner.It will look new.

Posted on: 2017/12/5 22:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Its been a while, again.
It has not been a productive winter for my Packard but I am getting other stuff done.

I got the fuel filter above cleaned up easy enough, ordered a new gasket and filter.

Fit the carb and breather on because I just could not help myself.

I have located a 55 Clipper about an hour from me in an old junkyard. The car itself appears to be toast but it appears to have a good front windshield that I need. Mine broke while sitting on the shelf.

The problem is removing it from the car. It took me a week to get the windshield out of my 400. I guess I'll take a few dozen very sharp utility knife blades and try to cut that gasket an inch at a time. Should be fun.

Attach file:

jpg  (204.12 KB)
5209_5a556d7ad3a78.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2018/1/9 20:34
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I wonder if some brake fluid would soften the brittle gasket making it easier to cut?

Posted on: 2018/1/10 10:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 56 57 58 (59) 60 61 62 ... 148 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved