Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 238

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

Re: New available motor oil
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
O_D: good info in posts #57 & #60.

In Pontiac drag race engines (similar in design to the V-8 Packard), guys started running into lobe failure on flat tappet (both hydraulic and mechanical) cams around the time that ZDDP was reduced/eliminated in regular oil. Nowadays, adding ZDDP is SOP on these engines, but the spring pressures are way up there. It's the main reason guys started using roller hydraulic lifters instead.

I agree that on a stock rebuilt Packard, it's a minor concern and it's better to stay away from the snake oil or home blends.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/8/25 12:10
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Modern Spec oil is just bad for old cars.
Some of today's cars even have oils specifically formulated for them.
( IE: GM's dexos ) We even have SAE 16 wt coming and API standards may change again in 2017.
The reading that I have done indicates that a ZDDP level over 1100 is highly recommended for flat tappet cams with any significant spring pressure or an engine that sees Interstate rpm levels.
One particularly annoying study showed that adding aftermarket ZPPD to modern oils actually decreased its load carrying capability.
Another frustrating article said that the modern detergent additives in oils with the current SN rating can strip residual ZPPD levels from engines in as little as 10,000 miles.
At this point, the best solution seems to be some of the well regarded specialty oils such as those from Brad Penn, Joe Gibbs, and many of the Diesel rated oils.
Keep in mind that there are solutions but just buying "oil" is not a good one.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 16:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One particularly annoying study showed that adding aftermarket ZPPD to modern oils actually decreased its load carrying capability.

More than one, actually there are quite a few cases cited about this and great reason not to add ZDDP to an oil already containing it.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 17:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I apologize for carrying this on for so long. Trying to find a replacement for the Valvoline Racing oil I have been using for the past twenty years, as it seems no longer available. Up until several years ago, the Valvoline label stated higher in ZDDP, and in the past few years stated added wear additives, which I took to mean ZDDP or something equivalent. Just mentioned by Avanti, Diesel rated oils, they seem to still be readily available, a good idea? I don't necessarily want to change to a synthetic oil, but that seems the way the world is going. Will get by NAPA early next week to see what they have, or can get. I will try the Shell 15-40, see what they have. And will hold off adding extra ZDDP.
I didn't realize what I would be starting a few months ago. Thought there would be a few people agreeing on a brand and weight.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 23:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I purchased a 3-gallon case of Shell Rotella T 15-40 from my local NAPA 2 weeks ago so I would think you can order it. I have been using it since I did some major top-end repairs to the '50 356 about 5 years ago. I am completely satisfied with the performance of the oil. You can read some other endorsements here.

The other evening I signed into several on-line major auto parts stores using different Las Vegas locations as my local store. You are right, everytime I found a straight 30 weight petroleum based oil, it was shown as unavailable. Strange.

Edit: I just realized I'm in the V8 Forum. My comments are based on experience with flat heads only.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 9:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You are right, everytime I found a straight 30 weight petroleum based oil, it was shown as unavailable. Strange.

You just have to look around and shop real-time as opposed to Internet shopping. I went into KMart today to get socks and took a walk to the auto section; saw straight SAE 30 detergent by the case. And Pennzoil no less.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 15:24
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bryan Spicer
See User information
JD, I noticed you posted on searching for Rotella motor oil in the Las Vegas area, do you live in Las Vegas by chance? I live in Pahrump and it would be nice to find another Packard fan near by. Bryan Spicer

Posted on: 2014/9/5 20:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Bryan,
No, I live near Kansas City. Have you seen Craig driving in/around Pahrump in his '55? See post #61 above.

Posted on: 2014/9/6 9:09
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bryan Spicer
See User information
I guess I haven't, but I'll try and find him.
Bryan

Posted on: 2014/9/10 18:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Here I am again. Need to do some oil changes, started using Shell Rotella, Diesel oil 15-30. Was told a bit light, but had lead. Today I see at Auto Zone a Shell Rotella single weight (30) Rotella diesel oil, but on the back does not say triple protection, and states it meets just two categories, and no mention of additional wear inhibitors, which is stated on the triple protection multi weight.
Straight 30 we ok?
Thanks Todd

Posted on: 2015/5/5 0:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved