Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 12 »

Re: Did Chevy consider Packard V8 BB Design?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
A while back I read a magazine interview with a Mr. McKellar who was in charge of designing the Pontiac V8. One of the questions they asked was whether the rumor was true, that the Pontiac head was copied off the Packard or vice versa?(snip)

<p>I asked the same question to Pete McCarthy, except using the John Delorean connection of working for Packard 1949-52 and then Pontiac 1952+. The answer eventually came back that there was no (admitted) connection between developments.</p>
<p>The configuration of the engines do have many similarities giving rise to asking the question in the first place. However, there are also several significant differences, so my opinion at this point is that there was no cross pollination.</p>
<p>
Craig
</p>

Posted on: 2009/2/21 3:08
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Anyone know the similarities/differences between heads on the Packard and BB Chevy?

Quote:
on the later BB would chime in here.

Quote:
Geez, how many disclaimers do I have to put on a post without it resulting in all this scolding?

We've been over this many times before, but internet urban legends seem to be like radio waves broadcast into space - they will always be out there somewhere. Obviously the OP of thread referenced had never even SEEN a Packard V8 head and a big block Chevy head or he would immediately recognize they share absolutely no design features.

By internet standards, this forum is a paragon of civility. Most of us are older and a bit more restrained. Try getting it wrong on a forum which attracts the younger crowd and see what comes! If Craig's and my answer comes across as "scolding", we apologize. Questions are good; but like prayers, sometimes the answer is "no."

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/2/21 12:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
No problemo, Jack. I just like to follow through on some of the rumors to see if any of them might be verifiable by those who have more knowledge than I do. I take issue when the rumors that I find and post as rumors are sometimes taken as my opinion, or worse, my support of them as facts.

As for the Packard V8 breaking NO new ground, it seems that it did so in at least one negative way, the piggy-back oil and vacuum pump setup. I don't know if any other manufacturer had the misfortune to replicate that.

Having said that, I wonder how many V8 head designs of that period had wedge-shaped combustion chambers like the Packard. Chrysler touted the 440 "wedge" many years later as though it was a proprietary design.

PS Just go on IMdB if you want to hear outlandish claims and get into flame wars. I trust the sincerity and common purpose behind what is shared here.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 19:18
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Jack,

You mentioned the Kettering V8. I was not familiar with this terminology and looked it up. I was wondering if you would agree with the history given on this Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_V8_engine

To me, it seems all credit goes to Oldsmobile, and I was under the impression that the 331 Cadillac was the original true "small-block" OHV V8.

It goes on to claim that the "small block" design continued in the large displacement Olds 425 and 455 engines, only because they had a higher deck hight for longer stroke. Well, deck height isn't everything, as there still needs to be adequate crank clearances.

So what's a "big block." Anything over 650 pounds? Or whatever you decide to call it?

Posted on: 2009/2/21 19:29
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
As for the Packard V8 breaking NO new ground, it seems that it did so in at least one negative way, the piggy-back oil and vacuum pump setup. I don't know if any other manufacturer had the misfortune to replicate that.

Question I believe is still out on that one. Was it the vacuum pump, the relief valve setup which I think got a late redesign or the lack of proper shaft bearing structure which was never addressed or a combination of all three or still something no one has identified yet.

Think the only thing most can agree on is there were some oiling issues from some cause--most likely pump related.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 19:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
55PackardGuy, I believe if you check you'll find that Cadillac and I believe Buick used the same or similar oil pump driven vacuum booster pump in the 1955/56 era. Perhaps theirs was done better, I don't know. I know of a few failures in Cadillacs with that feature.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 19:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks for the reply, HH56, but I only meant to mention the piggy-back pump in passing... that subject can get SCARY! I just read the "Solving the Oil Pump Problem" thread and it was deja vu all over again. I remember some of those original discussions from AACA being much more civil than the "retrospective." Almost thought I had stumbled onto a circle track racers thread.

The original pump was... not good. The solutions are... varied.

All I'm saying.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 20:00
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
55Packardguy.If you are worried about the oil pump,get your hands on a second generation pump and have Bob Aller rebuild it for you.You will not be disappointed.Owen is right.GM used a similar pump.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 20:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
55Packardguy.If you are worried about the oil pump,get your hands on a second generation pump and have Bob Aller rebuild it for you.You will not be disappointed.Owen is right.GM used a similar pump.

<p>The only apparent way to solve this "which is better" argument is to bet two expensive Packard V-8s. Set up one with a rebult-bywhoever and another with the PV8C Melling Olds HV pump and adapter kit. Then run both at Bonneville at max speed until one expires due to oil system failure.
</p>
<p>The other is the winner.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/2/21 22:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
If Craig's and my answer comes across as "scolding", we apologize. Questions are good; but like prayers, sometimes the answer is "no."

<p>Normally, I don't care for other posters to answer for me. But in this case I endorse Jack's answer.</P>
<p>
Craig
</P>

Posted on: 2009/2/21 22:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved