Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: Wile Family's Second Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
it now appears that the correct procedure would be to disconnect the pull handle rod from the hand brake assembly under the hood, pull it out; remove the old rusted bracket; reinstall the hand brake rod; and then bolt the bracket to the bottom of the dash.

Correct. There should be a small spring at the mechanism end holding the rod in the hole. There are also one or two flat leaf springs at the bracket end to keep the rod from rattling in the bracket.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 11:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Howard, thanks. Unfortunately, those leaf springs at the bracket are long since gone. A present, probably, from the 400's prior owner. With both the 400 and the Patrician, I really am feeling the motto of one of our other forum members who keeps saying that half of what is wrong with his Packard is due to its prior owner. I realy feel for you, guy, I really do.

Posted on: 2013/11/23 11:05
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Well, another day and another issue raises its ugly head with our 400. As I was working on re-installing the door vent and side windows, after parking the 400 after driving it about ten (10) miles, I noticed a wet spot on the asphalt near the left rear wheel. I was hoping that it wasn't brake fluid and discovered it was gasoline. It appears that the 400's fuel line has sprung a leak just in front of the left rear wheel. Not a large leak, but one that drains the fuel line after the car has run and has sit a while.

I don't really want to replace the entire fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump. What I am thinking of doing is to cut the line about a foot ahead of the leak and remove the portion from the cut to the fuel tank. Once that is out of the car, I can make a replacement out of new steel tubing with a flaring tool and a bending jig. I would also put a connector on the cut end of the remaining fuel line and flair the end of that, since I have a hand flaring tool. The replacement section would be put in place with the old line and new line joined, then I would install it onto the fuel tank.

Well, that is my plan. Does anyone in the group think it is a problem just to replace the damaged portion of the fuel line rather than replacing the whole line? I know, ideally, the whole line should be replaced, but seeing that it is winter and my skills are still rudamentary, at best, I was thinking that it would be best to take small steps to get the 400 back on the road so it can be driven and I would deal with further problems as they arise.

Keep in mind that I bought the 400 as a driver while I spend the majority of my time working on the Patrician. Once the Patrician is done, then my attention would turn to the 400 for a re-build.

Posted on: 2013/12/30 21:19
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Only thing I'd wonder about is the flare in the old (or new) steel tubing. I know I have had little to no luck getting a leakproof double flare connection in steel tubing with my hand set. Hopefully if you go that way your luck or tool is better.

A couple of other possibilities if you want to stay all metal is cut the line and connect the original part with a compression fitting and adapt to a flare fitting. Connect that flare side to a new length of premade steel tubing. I believe Napa carries 5/16" in various premade up to 4' or so lengths.

If just a tiny spot maybe the damaged area could be cut out and the two lengths rearranged slightly and connected with a straight compression fitting. If that is not possible then depending on where the break is use rubber tubing and clamps to connect the two and protect that from damage if needed.

Ultimately the tubing should be replaced but a temp repair should get thru the winter and beyond until you can do the work. When you do replace it suggest cunifer tubing instead of the steel. It bends and works so much easier. If you are going single length, there will be a challenge getting a long piece routed thru a couple of spots with the body on so the extra flex helps. You might even do it with premade steel sections which works fairly well -- although it would need a few extra joints that way. I did a 56 brake line with premade lengths and hid a couple of connections above the outrigger brackets.

Posted on: 2013/12/30 21:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If you are looking for a quick and easy repair, I would just replace the damaged section with some rubber gas line and a couple of good clamps. Since it is on the suction side of the system this should work, temporarily, until you can fabricate a proper repair.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/12/30 22:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Well, folks, I know that it has been a while since I've posted anything on the family's two '55 Packards. I'll try and bring you up to date.

The '55 Four Hundred remains the family driver whilst the Patrician remains on jackstands in the garage. I'm still trying to install new glass in the doors of the Four Hundred without much success. Even moving the two window channels closest to each other, the window still fails to fit into both of the channels, The windows are the right size since they come from donor '55-'56 Packard 400 doors. I've been banging my head againt the door for a while now trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. It is quite frustrating.

Posted on: 2015/4/4 23:27
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
I had the 400 out for a Sunday drive a month or so ago with my grandson tagging along. As I pulled into the parking lot of my son's apartment complex for a visit, the front passenger's tire blew, necessitating a tire change.

The jack and lug wrench that I had available in the truck proved insufficient for the task and I resorted to calling AAA road service. The tow truck driver who arrived was surprised at the vehicle and it turned out that he is an old car afficiando and the tire change took about five minutes and we spent the next 10 to 15 minutes chatting about classic and antique vehicles we had owned or worked on. It was a pleasant experience, although it didn't start out that way.

New tires for the 400 are definitely in the future before the spring driving season.

Attach file:

jpg  (98.29 KB)
3929_569d3b7b3da40.jpg 1280X720 px

jpg  (82.43 KB)
3929_569d3b8c0ed91.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2016/1/18 14:23
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You are lucky the blowout happened in a parking lot and not on a road while in traffic. Safety related items need to take first priority in driving a vintage vehicle. Take care.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/1/19 11:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm a bit curious what the tire failure was as an actual blow-out with tubeless tires is uncommon. Perhaps it just self-destructed from old age and dry rot?

Posted on: 2016/1/19 11:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
I strongly suspect that it was simply a case of an old tire giving way rather than a more dramatic "blow out." I'm not sure how old the tire was but it did fail on a sharp turn into the parking lot. Also, there was no dramatic "pop" when the tire failed, just a pulling to the right as it went down.

Like I mentioned earlier, new tires are on the agenda for the spring. Just a matter of finances. I have a nice set of refinished rims for the 400 that I had picked up some time ago. I plan on mounting the new tires on them and then replacing all the wheels on the 400 with the refinished ones with the new rubber.

I'm leaning towards radial tires from the reviews and experiences that I've read on this forum.

Posted on: 2016/1/20 10:40
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved