Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 222

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 »

Re: Guess it might not be the points.... Suggestions!?
Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
The cables are the OE ones best I can tell. They are noticeably thicker then the ones on my 12V truck. Also a NEW 6V battery. I have the starter being rebuilt and I am thinking about adding a second battery in parallel so as to double my CCA, THAT ought to check "is the motor turning over fast enough" right off the list! I will keep you guy posted. Steve from NC

Posted on: 2012/8/29 9:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm trying to recall if it was your car that had a photo showing the battery cables which were braided cables stripped of the insulation at the battery end and "crimped" onto one of those cheesy battery top terminals. If that was your car, I had recommended you go to Brillman and buy proper cables or have them made; those connections are marginal at best. With a good starter, good proper cables, good battery and clean connections you surely don't need a second battery in parallel.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.87 KB)
177_503e2cd295429.jpg 300X225 px

Posted on: 2012/8/29 9:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
Not braided, and they are the ones that were on it and that started if fine for the two days that I drove it. The terminal ends are pretty lame tho, it becomes VERY apparent when you get them under the hood next to all of that REAL metal, plus the whole red and black thing really only adds to the Positive ground confusion, so I will be getting some heavy duty REAL metal ones soon. As for having the plastic cut off at the ends where they go in to the cable ends, how would it work any other way?

Posted on: 2012/8/29 11:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You should be pleased with the result of new, proper cables. Those cheezy things can rob you of full ignition while cranking.

Posted on: 2012/8/29 11:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
I was talking about the cheap cable ends, as far as I know the cables themselves are OE. They are the ones that were on there when I bought it and when it was running last. How do I check them to see if they are the right gauge?

Posted on: 2012/8/29 21:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
In all the jerking around to get the engine started, do you suppose the timing chain jumped? Just a thought...

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/8/31 16:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
I 've been having problems starting my 51 Chevy truck, original wiring, etc. The ground ran to the frame then another ground ran from the frame to the engine. So I ran a new ground from the battery staight to the engine and this thing cranks like a dream. I cleaned up all the other connections as well. If Packard did a similar thing maybe you should change too. Just a thought.

Posted on: 2012/9/1 13:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
On a 23rd series Packard the ground cable runs from the battery directly to the engine block. Still, it never hurts to keep all the connections clean.

Posted on: 2012/9/1 13:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
IF this turd ever runs again it is probably getting sold or traded for another GM, if not I will part it out with a chainsaw.......

Posted on: 2012/9/6 19:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Don't blame the Packard for your ignorance. This has been going on for too long. Get educated on basic auto mechanics then come back. We tried, but ...

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/6 21:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved