Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 201

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 »

Re: Snapey's 1935 Racing Biposto
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
An interesting weekend away Mat. By the way, I love your Avatar pic.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.97 KB)
226_4e6affd0d1c18.jpg 300X307 px

Posted on: 2011/9/10 1:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
The Avatar is curtesy of Guscha - and with my thanks. Although I am tempted to pinch the 'Snoopy - WW1 Flying Ace' pic and use it instead. I was a huge Peanuts fan as a kid and had the nickname Snoopy for many years.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 5:51
If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving is Not For You...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Snoopy, sorry, Snapey, you shouldn't deny yourself that temptation. The PackardInfo universe accommodates one sun and a range of black holes. Mal as a connoisseur of art rules the market of symbolism since the dawn of internet Packardanization. Look, after a short counseling session even Randy couldn't avoid his destiny.
It makes me proud to sometimes fill the large surrounding vacancy like a rainbow between THE LIGHT and the dark rest of Packardia.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.17 KB)
757_4e6cb40b144a8.jpg 367X445 px

Posted on: 2011/9/11 7:16
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
ROFLMAO!

Posted on: 2011/9/12 18:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Did you know that the famous race car driver Ralph DePalma had a hand in the development of the liberty aero engines? Matt, you will like --> it!

Posted on: 2011/10/9 6:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Snapey, where are you? Puss, puss, puss!

Click to see original Image in a new window

book cover "Ralph de Palma Gentleman Champion"

--> book description

[picture source: www.amazon.com]

Posted on: 2011/10/9 7:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
I'm here! Actually I am laid up in bed with what the beautiful wife refers to as the 'Man Flu'. We were away last week on holidays and life has been getting in the way of my Packard hobby once again

I am hoping to spend some time on the biposto project this weekend, but first my daily driver needs some work after spitting the harmonic balancer off the front of the engine just before we went away. Luckly the parts arrived from my friends at Summit Racing in the US yesterday, but it will be a big job if I have to pull the radiator out as I suspect.

Meanwhile I have been planning my next moves on the project. I have sourced the flange mounted, self aligning bearings that I will need to mount the brake cross shaft in its new location and then I will start on the metal profiles and fabrication needed for the numerous other jobs that I have to do, including engine mounts, spring mounts, etc.

Also I am currently on the look out for a suitable steering box. The original set up is not my preference and the car will be right hand drive, so a donor box from another vehicle will be sought.

I have found the people that I will be using to fix/reset the leaf spring packs, so dropping them off is another job to be done - all when time allows.

So even though I have not been able to spend the time in the shed some sort of progress has been made.

Posted on: 2011/10/11 19:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
Spent the weekend on other projects, including a very nice brunch at Hyde Park Barracks Resturant on Sunday morning with the BW and family and replacing what was left of the harmonic balancer on my Jeep Cherokee after it spat off the outer ring a week or so back.

Friday, however, was potentially very contructive as I gathered all the various spring pack componants that I have managed to collect and dropped them off at at Carrolls Springs at Smithfield. I have not had work done by these guys before, but they were recommended by the people that used to do this sort of thing for me, so we will have to see how we go.

Their instructions are to reset and reassemble to packs that Wade had from Mats 34 with 6 leaves instead of the standard 9 and to use the remaining leaves and the old rear leaves from the car to build a new set of front packs with 7 leaves each.

Now before anyone starts to panic here, please remember that this car will be significantly lighter than the original (I'm aiming for around the 1100kg mark, instead of nearly 3000kg). Also I am aiming for a relativly soft rear suspension but stiffer front springs which will help handling - especially under hard braking into corners as this formula should produce a 'usable' oversteer.

Also I dropped in to see my new mate Tom at Top Tyres in Blacktown. He stripped the old tyres from three Packard wheels from the 34 chassis. I had already removed one myself, using an angle grinder and a lot of effort, so was happy to give Tom $50 to do the swearing for me.

While he was doing that I walked to the motorbike shop next door and scrounged through their bin looking for discarded tyres that might fit the rims. I found one and will have to return on a regular basis over the coming weeks in the hope of finding 3 more, but the idea is to end up with a set of easy the handle tyres that I can use to roll the project around on until it is ready for the road. I don't see the point of buying new rubber that will sit around for a couple of years getting covered in muck, grinding sparks and welding slag and going hard when I can pick up something that will do the job for nothing.

Meanwhile I need to talk to the sandblasting/treatment guys to work out what the best option will be for surface prep and painting. Powder coating would be the best option, but it may come down to colour choice and I might have to get them sprayed instead.

Also I ordered the new bearings and carriers to allow for the relocation of the brake cross shaft. After advice from Wade I won't be attempting to reuse the original units as he has tried this in the past with poor results.

So, even if I haven't been in the shed making any noise or mess, things are still slowly progressing.

Posted on: 2011/10/16 19:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
Well it has been quite a while since I last had the chance to sit down to update the blog, but in reality you have not missed very much at all. It seems that there is a world wide conspiracy to make sure that Snapey doesn't get to spend time in the shed as he would like. Even the weather has been conspiring against me, with regular rain and hot temperatures meaning the the back yard seems to need mowing ever second day... I might have to buy a goat. Although I am sure that Echo, the workshop foreman, would prefer a sheep to chase around!

Anyway, little has changed on the car, except that I finally got a phone call from the spring people (I did tell them that I wasn't in a hurry, but geez!) and plan to pick up the four rebuilt spring packs next week.

Also I now have the bearing housings that will hold the brake cross shaft in its new location. For all of about $30 each with the bearings this seems to me like a bit of a bargain. Not having a lathe meant that to clean up the cross shaft so the new bearing would fit on easily I had to revert to some old methods. About an hour and several strips of emery cloth later I had some nice clean surfaces that the bearing would slide nicely onto - the whole process was very zen and I am sure it was good therapy. I also made sure there was plenty of additional space to allow the shaft to be pushed further into each bearing to allow installation of the one at the other end.

Also the 6 wire wheels (although I think the car will only carry the one spare) should just about be painted by now. I elected to go with the same very dark 'Packard Blue' that I will use on the chassis and various highlights. With brushed alloy or light grey paint work I think it will be a nice affect - similar to the ex De Palma 902 record car that still lives in the US. Largely for cost and convenience I opted for spraying the wheels with 2 pack acrylic. While powder coating would have been better I would have had to send them away and try to specify a suitable colour - and all at a much higher cost. If for any reason I don't like the outcome, I can always have them cleaned up and powder coated later anyway.

So that is about all that has happened in the last couple of months, but stay tuned as I have some holidays coming up and hope to get some real work done then!

Posted on: 2011/11/30 2:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
one thing i've learned....never tell them your not in a hurry...don't mention your speed to them, that way when they take forever you can possibly get a discount. heh...sometimes that actually works.

oh and never pay full price up front....50% max till the work is done...that usually motivates them cause they want their other 50%.

those exact words, i'm not in a hurry, have bit me in the but several times and i never seem to remember not to say them...LOL! like i'm doing them a favor by not being in a hurry....when i really shouldn't tell them.

ahhh good times.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/11/30 9:32
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved