Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 119

Leeedy, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: How to sell car these days
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

BillP
See User information
"Good luck to you. I'd love to see a picture should you be so inclined."

Took 2 cups of coffee, but I figured out how to put the picture in the owner's registry. It's just below Owen's beautiful sedan.

Posted on: 2012/5/11 9:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
The main problem in selling a car is knowing what a realistic price is. I have subscribed to Sports Car Market for years and read all the results. Auction results are an indication of the real market price particularly if you see similar cars trading at nearly the same prices. However for rare cars the price can vary a lot depending on how many serious bidders show up and how much they drink before bidding.

I have been referred to magazines that are supposed to list current market prices for collector cars. The publications I looked at were totally worthless based on rare cars I studied and have owned. Usually the stated prices are way too low. If you were a buyer and looked for a car at those stated prices you would never be able to find one. The only good information I found is for cars that sell many times each year (like 57 Chevys, Mustangs, etc.)

Unless you are trying to unload in a hurry I suggest you spend a number of months researching auctions and back issues of Hemmings to get a good feel for the price. Then you might consider an Ebay ad with a very low starting price and a decent reserve just to see how many people are interested and at what price. You can judge from your highest bids what people are willing to pay. To make this work you need to present lots of pictures and technical details on the condition.

By the way I hope you post pictures of your Packard on this website soon. I love those early 30s years and seriously wanted to buy one until the prices got out of sight. I never found a good one I could afford.

Posted on: 2012/5/11 9:47
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Bill,
for including the pic of your Packard in the Owner Registry, looks a fine car.

Posted on: 2012/5/11 12:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Thoughts from an average guy that would like to own a prewar Packard one day, but still has ask "how much" and live within a budget.

Provide plenty of pictures and list the hoped for price in advertisement (or a "buy it now" price) on eBay, I don't profess to know all the values and no need my wasting a sellers time asking about or bidding on a car way out of my price range.

Proof read the advertisement after it's posted, I've called on one where the actual price was twice the price listed in the internet advertisement.

Note if the vehicle has a current title, a bill of sale, tag registration, open title from a prior purchase, would all present problems in our state.

Posted on: 2012/5/11 13:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
part of that proofing - have some understanding of your car's model and bodystyle. Your 1948 Eight touring sedan with 288 shouldn't be advertised as a lwb limo with its original V8 engine. Not a made up example. The credibility of all your other info on the car takes a hit. If someone else is going to be fielding calls, write stuff down for them. Another real example: How many doors? I don't know.

Posted on: 2012/5/11 16:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved