Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 143

Todd W. White, 56Clippers, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Leaf Springs and Shocks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
I dropped a few pieces of the passenger side leaf spring Saturday on a drive!! Anyone have any ideas on what to do?? Can one repair a leaf spring or do you replace it?? Where can I purchase these?

Lastly, I intend to replace the shocks at the same time. Has anyone figured out a parts number for replacement shocks on a 1950 Super DeLuxe 8?? Thanks in advance for all the help I am counting on...

Posted on: 2012/6/4 19:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Leaf Springs and Shocks
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Aren't the front shocks thru 1950 the older hydraulic shocks?
You can have those rebuilt by Apple Hydraulics for one.
Leaf springs can have new leaves.
Look in parts Xref for rear shocks.

Posted on: 2012/6/4 19:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I was looking in the Xref for rear shocks for my '48, and there was none. Maybe the same as a 51-54?

Posted on: 2012/6/4 19:39
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Yes, the front shocks are the lever/ hydraulic type. I plan to replace the rear shocks when the rear leaf springs are worked on or replaced. I have read that a good parts place can figure the shock thing out from travel, etc., but I was hoping that someone here had already gone that route and done my foot work for me...

Posted on: 2012/6/4 20:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have a suspension or spring shop in town they might be able to repair or reassemble them depending on what broke and if anything was left in the street. Some of the pickup truck places doing work in preparation for pulling a trailer come to mind.

I have not done business with this firm but picked up the link some time ago from another forum. Maybe worth an inquiry for new leaf springs.http://www.eatonsprings.com/packard.htm Not inexpensive but probably used or one of our vendors are the only other options.

Posted on: 2012/6/4 20:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I used NAPA gas-charged shocks on my '50 Custom. Part number was 94080.

Added to XREF.

Posted on: 2012/6/4 23:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Thanks guys! I will check with NAPA tomorrow and I'll ask the mechanics at the garage here in town. We have a local shop that has been family owned since at least the days when my Packard was new!

I heard the metal clank when it fell off and I did go back and pick it up!! There was a pop, pop, pop sound then clank, clank, clank!! Never good to hear in an old car, I guess...

Posted on: 2012/6/5 0:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Detroit eaton spring is fantastic. They keep oem specs and blueprints around and can make a spring exact to what it was new, or you could say "i want it like stock but softer and an inch lower" and they'll knock it right out. They're a great outfit, witch MUCH knowledge, regardless of the brand of car or spring type.

Posted on: 2012/6/5 8:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Maybe this discussion thread would be better served if moved to the Post War section. Nothing about a V-8 here.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/6/5 8:34
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Ordered the shocks from NAPA today!! They will be in tomorrow, now all I need are the springs. I have a lead on a place that rebuilds or makes springs nearby in Corpus Christi, looking good guys, thanks for the help!

Posted on: 2012/6/5 20:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved