Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 212

CarFreak, TxGoat, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: treadle vac brakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
For the momment, let us look at the 'work-around' remedy currently used to overcome the pedal that won't return:

When the pedal is "pulled back up with the toe" then does the pedal have be pulled the FULL distance UP or does the pedal only require a little short lift with the toe and then it returns the rest of the way on it's own????

Posted on: 2012/5/26 6:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
Must pull the pedal up from about 1/2 way down. W/O knowing what's happening here, when I shut the engine down, I always remember to pull the pedal back up. It's 1/2 way or more on the CC but maybe just 1/4 on the Patrician. No real big deal unless in lots of stop and go traffic or stop signs, then it's just a nuisance but it works.

Posted on: 2012/5/26 6:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It seems apparent that your brake booster is beyond the limits of it's service life. In the interests of your own safety plus that of others, I suggest the car not be driven on public roads until the unit is repaired or replaced with a rebuilt exchange unit. With the problems with it now a matter of public record, any serious accident that got into litigation could involve negiligence questions. Please, attend to it before you drive any further.

Posted on: 2012/5/26 7:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2178&forum=2&post_id=23015#forumpost23015

Take a look at the above thread. THis particular BTV problem is NOT an isolated problem. Been at least 3 reports of this particular problem over the last 3 or 4 years. AS well as many other problem reports.

In this particular case (from the link above ) the unit was rebuilt by a qualified rebuilder in 2003. By early 2009 the problem occured. Less than 6 years.

SO that places us back to the recommendation of draining and flushing the entire system every 6 months to 2 years and rebuilding the BTV unit every 3 to 5 years.

Altho i am most tempted to agree with that recommendation it labels the BTV as a high maintence/short service life component FOR PACKARD applications only. Such chronic problems do not seem to occur on other NON Packard applications of the BTV.

OR, there is something else wrong with the recommended rebuilding service procedures and/or parts used in the process.

1. If BTV is a shortlife, hi maintenance component then in plain english it's junk and therefore in the reasoning of the saftey gaurds of the world inherently a safety hazard BY ORIGINAL DESIGN.

2. IF there is a problem in the service procedures or parts used then it needs to be identified and corrected.

IT's either point 1. or point 2 above. Something i missed over the last 14+ years of BTV discussions.???

Posted on: 2012/5/26 9:41
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
PackardV8, there can always be a fluke rebuild or some other odd-ball happening, but your conclusion about the life of a BTV being only 2 years just isn't supported by the facts as I know them. Most of us who have a unit rebuilt never have occasion to do it again, even after 15-25 years of use. As to brake fluid flushes and changes, yes I believe it's important and more so when the car only sees occasional use.

Posted on: 2012/5/26 10:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Altho i am most tempted to agree with that recommendation it labels the BTV as a high maintence/short service life component FOR PACKARD applications only. Such chronic problems do not seem to occur on other NON Packard applications of the BTV.

As far as other cars having the issue, can't really say. Some of the other forums mention BTV's occasionally in derogatory terms. Since there was the bolt in BTV replacement designed for mid 50's Chevys, must have been a reason on those. One site even offers their replacement as a direct swap for the "dreaded" Treadlevac.

As to our cars, still don't understand why we seem to have V8 cars with BTV issues reported far more often than the earlier ones. 52-4 cars seem to have their issues directly related to long term non use and minimal maintenance when put in service again. On the V8s, is it the same reason or because they are driven more.

Perhaps there is a subtle design difference in the later P-3 or 4 units making them more susceptible because there is more heat near the unit in V8s. One question might be how long that gasket problem has been there. We have had photos of some supposedly never touched units with the gasket blocked port. Not sure on which P version the reservoir change was made which needed the different cover but the cover we use was there from the beginning so that might come into play.

At any rate, a question that will probably never have a good answer.

Posted on: 2012/5/26 10:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

56clipper
See User information
i talked to the guy that rebuilt the unit and he says the problem may be a broken spring in the vacuum control valve.the spring apparently is not serviceable so another valve from another core would have to be installed to hopefully correct the concern.i also talked to him about another concern that just came up,the brake pedal bleeds down when you are at a stop with no leaks.he says that the problem may be with the compensator valve not sealing and allowing brake fluid to bleed back to the bowl in the m/c .so me adding a check valve to the vacuum and correcting the bake pedal staying down was just a coincidence because the problem just returned.looks like its time for some warranty work.

Posted on: 2012/6/8 23:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I would like to add my to this discussion about the BTV. My 1953 Clipper with P/B's had a rapid repeating pedal movement of one to 2 inches up and down when I would apply any braking effort to the pedal. It felt like front disc brakes feel when there is too much lateral runout on the front discs, and the pedal moves up and down. The BTV has worked as expected for 10 years (the length of time I've owned the car.) I do not know if it has ever had any work done to it. The condition came on fast and was cured by adding brake fluid to a very low/empty master cyl. Two months later I'm still symptom free and the brake fluid level has dropped about 1/4 inch. That's all I have.

Posted on: 2012/6/9 13:56
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The condition came on fast and was cured by adding brake fluid to a very low/empty master cyl. Two months later I'm still symptom free and the brake fluid level has dropped about 1/4 inch. That's all I have.

If your brake fluid has dropped 1/4 inch in that two months, I'd have things checked. With that loss, and if there is no sign of any external leakage, about the only place left is a seal failing and it's getting sucked into the vacuum section. I'd be concerned whatever is allowing the leak could suddenly & completely fail.

Posted on: 2012/6/9 14:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
I am so glad I read these posts my 1955 400 seems to have a similar problem as the 1956 Clipper deluxe posted on 5/24-I don't think there is a check valve on the vacuum supply to the BTV on mine either and when installing a newly rebuilt unit the pedal does flutter and although it stops the car the pedal goes almost to the floor, Can you post a picture of the check valve you installed and where you got it?

Posted on: 2012/6/12 2:59
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved