Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 107

r1lark, CartRich, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Packard Factory to finally come down?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
At the height of its long life, a once great Packard Motor Car Company represented EVERYTHING right about this country...success, free enterprise, skill, pride, competitive market, etc. etc. etc. now at its lowest point, it represents the demise of a once great country!...what a sad and dispicable shame.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Coming down soon??? Not according to the Detroit Free Press of March 28th.

A city official said no one has applied for permits to demolish the building. "They haven't done anything," said Nate Ford, director of buildings, safety engineering and environment for the city.

A key step before demolition is removing asbestos in the plant, but the state Department of Environmental Quality said no one has submitted a plan for asbestos removal.

The city estimates the cost of demolition will be about $20 million.

Read the entire article here:
http://www.freep.com/article/20120328/NEWS05/203280360/A-month-after-owner-said-he-d-tear-down-Packard-Plant-zero-progress-made?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

--Roger--

Posted on: 2012/3/28 8:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
sounds like a publicity stunt maybe to get people to come out. idk.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 9:15
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Cli55er--you should look at lodging in Dearborn MI, right next to Detroit and between the airport and the Packard Plant. All of the major hotel/motel chains are there, and you can squeeze in time to see the Henry Ford museum/Greenfield Village, which is a "Must do".
Go have a hamburger at Miller'a bar on Michigan Ave. while you are there.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 11:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jreeder41
See User information
I'm going to be in the Detroit are on June 30 and would very much to go see what is left of the plant. Is there anybody in the area that could show me around?

Posted on: 2012/6/19 6:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
To: JREEDER41

Yes, I live in the area, but I am very reluctant to take anyone to the PMCC on the boulevard. During the 2006 PAC National Meet we drove several buses past the plant and only stopped for a short while. Even then we only let ONE person off the bus to take photos and that was Stuart Blond, the Editor of the The Packard Cormorant magazine.

You would be much better off to see the improvements we have been making at the Packard Proving Grounds (PPG) out in Utica (Shelby Township) Michigan. It is about 22 miles north of the PMCC. There are volunteers out their working nearly every day during the summer and I could arrange something for you out there.

Send me a PM if you want more information.

Better yet, come to the PAC National Meet when it is held next year in the Motor City - June 23 to 28, 2013.

Posted on: 2012/6/19 7:36
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved