Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 159

JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How many cars like this will realistically be saved?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Here is an ad from the Chicago Craigslist featuring a car that seems to represent passable value if someone wants to restore it.

My question is this: How many cars like this have any realistic chance of being saved?

1936 Packard 120 Touring Sedan - Straight 8 - $3500 (QC)
Date: 2012-07-12, 12:13PM CDT
Reply to: wnph2-3134899318@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Selling a 1936 Packard 120 Touring Sedan, Straight 8, 4 Door. Odometer reads 71,499. Clear title in hand. Asking $3500. This is a recent barn find. This packard has been sitting in storage for many many years. Motor turns over, have not tried to start. Packard has manual shift and does shift into gear, clutch works. This packard has been painted once that I know of. As you can see in one picture, the passenger side rear fender bottom is rusted out. This car needs full restoration inside and out after sitting for so many years. It does have all the original instruments in the dash, including am radio, nothing has been messed with or taken out. It is sitting in one of my garages now. If you have questions or want to see it, please call my cell (309) 948-3442.

http://images.craigslist.org/5L65G95Hd3I83L33J8c7c086569bde658167b.jpg

Posted on: 2012/7/12 20:54
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: How many cars like this will realistically be saved?
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
ZERO !

Posted on: 2012/7/14 7:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Yep, IMO it seems too expensive given that a good full restoration will set someone back over $30,000 and that's IF they do it themselves.

Are there many of this model around? If so, bringing this one fully 'back to life' may never be a sound proposition, unless it's entirely a labour of love. By the same token, you'd like to see no old Packards ever get ignored or scrapped. Put them somewhere until the time comes they'll eventually be appreciated. Given enough years that surely would happen.

Posted on: 2012/7/14 8:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Unfortunatley Dallas is more than likely correct. Mainly because for $3,500 most people want the car to be completely restored to museum quality. Add to that the worst economy since the depression and there is little money around to play with. I have a couple of cars with which to trade but there is still the distance involved.

Posted on: 2012/7/14 8:54
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
This is exactly how these cars end up as street rods (which doesnt bother me, since they were likely going to the bailer anyway.)

Someone wanting a hotrod that can't afford a 32 ford or an old chevy finds this car, when the guy gets wore down to 2k, and does the fabricating of the SBC install, etc himself and with friends, and the car stays on the road.

Even as or more likely now, a rat rodder buys it or trades some cars for it and keeps the original motor in it, drops it, loves/keeps the patina, and adds some pinstripping.

I'd say it's not going to get restored (especially since packard ownership is graying and not really a lot of new blood looking to jump into an expensive restore) but i wouldn't say that it won't live on and rack up some more miles in one form or another.

Posted on: 2012/7/14 9:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
If i had the dough, i would buy it, and let a school restore it ,,,what better experience,,,

riki

Posted on: 2012/7/14 10:07
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
It looks like a solid car. Given people are trying to use postwar Packards as transportation, what's wrong with a rock bottom cash offer? That thing could be turned into a second car. Don't look at me though because I'm planning on moving again. You have to have a permanent address for these cars and I don't hesitate to move six time zones in one shot.

Posted on: 2012/7/14 13:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
The person will not trade and does not seem interested in budging on the price. I offered to trade either of the 2 cars I have available but no dice.

Posted on: 2012/7/14 19:00
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved